If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Coast Santa trains 2017

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 46236, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Cal.N

Cal.N New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    They are clearly targeting the popularity of proven preserved line Santa Specials, but what would make you pay more for a mainline trip rather than a larger preserved line (ELR or KWVR in that region). The usual USP of a mainline steam trip is either the speed, scenery or traction. And the scenery isn't particularly special (not S+C, no Shap, no Glenfinnan) and it's not a loco the public will recognise (not 60103, 60163 etc). Which may be why there's only half a train of Santa.

2. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

The marketing is a bit fudged and I can understand why. The WC website has two ads for these trains. One is for Santa Specials and the other for Christmas Dining. It is not obvious at first that they are in fact the same trains. So about half is Santa and half is dining. But they have sold out. Diverse marketing ensuring maximum exposure?

4. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

You lot still going on about this.....

I have undertaken an admittedly small sample, survey of a passenger who is travelling with us, she is 4 and very excited.

In summary.....

She doesn't give a toss whats on the front as long as 'its a steam train and has a whistle', she is even less bothered what may or may not be on the back.
    She is not that bothered regarding the heating (she proved this at Millerbeck yesterday insisting on three rides in the open carriages, it was freezing!), although she would like to be able to see out of the window (on the heritage line SS's we have traveled upon in past years due to it being steam heat the windows are invariably covered in condensation), however if its freezing all day no doubt her mother will strangle me.
    She is excited about going on a steam train and meeting santa.

Frankly if this thread is a sample I hope there are no 'enthusiasts' on the train as its going to be a bloody miserable journey!

The Santa bits of the train sold out months ago, its the dining bit where they seem to be struggling to sell tickets (if online advertising illustrates that) so I suspect that there may be a SS waiting list and they will amend consist to reflect nearer the day.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  5. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Again with @Big Al lets see what happens, if it brings more normal people to mainline steam, on the back of WCRC's efforts, then its a well done from me, as for scenery, it will be dark and gloomy at that time of year, so not big loss, either shoving xmas cake in your piehole, or keeping kids under control waiting santa, will be order of the day. The fact it is sold out, says a market exists, and its up to others to up their game accordingly.

6. GWR4707

Agree with the above (forum won't let me quote in reply for some reason) apart from the scenery bit.

On a crisp wintery day the line from Carnforth to Hellifield is beautiful (never done Hellifield-Blackburn in daylight so cannot comment), most have to normally experience it on a Pacer so anything will frankly be an improvement.

26D_M and RayMason like this.
  7. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Latest news on the dining section loadings, full on the 3rd, with 8 seats left on the 10th and only 2 left on the 17th, so not struggling at all.

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  8. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Dark and gloomy at 11.35am for four hours?

It's Carnforth not the North Pole...:):)

9. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Agree!! Although the S and C has more varied scenery considering Ribblesdale, Dentdale, Mallerstang and the Eden Valley, the section of the LNW from Bentham to Giggleswick looking over to Ingleborough and Penyghent is at least as good scenically as any one section of the S and C.

10. GWR4707

Good stuff, I have been away and noticed that it seemed to be popping up as an advert on Facebook on the rare occasions I checked my blower.

11. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Utterly agree with that, been thinking and hoping for a long time that this route must be ripe for greater use for steam tours. If there is snow or frost too it will be sensational.

12. 26D_M

Anybody for whom the advertising is ambiguous surely have the opportunity to raise any questions before they book with WC or not book if they perceive it will not meet their expectations?
    Whilst it would be preferable for thoroughly clear advertising, I do not think a diesel on the rear of this type of train is quite the material issue it most definitely is with a 'normal' charter, where the omission of such information about a planned assistance is misleading in my opinion.
    Enjoy your meal, scenery and dry (ETH) warmth comforted in the knowledge the train should keep to time without fear of stalling. Or you could as WC then let us know what they say and you decide.

13. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Same area also has a propensity for high rainfall, fog and snow....

14. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

And some may also have you believe; nazgul circling overhead so thick that they block out the sun....

15. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Never said there was ambiguity. I said fudged and coukd understand the rationale. It only needed a cursory glance at the website to realise what they were doing. Running one train on each Sunday with a separate offering at either end. Some people thought there were two trains.

16. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Some people will always look to hard and find things that are not there, the times quoted are exactly the same and mention of the stock being diesel hauled to Lancaster have both caused confusion. Non enthusiast friends of mine have booked for the Santa train but had no problem working out that it was one train with two options....

17. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does it really matter? It looks as if they have virtually filled them which is what counts.

Spamcan81 and Victor like this.
  18. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

It doesn't and was only responding to @26D_M .

It's great news that they have sold out in both SS and Dining.

19. 26D_M

Can we therefore confidently state that there is unanimous satisfaction with the proposed service? I do hope so for it will surely be an NP first!

henrywinskill likes this.
  20. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure......[​IMG]

henrywinskill likes this.