If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Autumn Steam Gala 1-4 Oct 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by gwr4090, May 11, 2009.

1. Nigel Clark

Nigel Clark Member Loco Owner

Network Rail Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Now that its been posted on Steve's website I'll confirm that, all being well, 6695 should be attending the Autumn Gala and we are looking forward to going back to WSR for the weekend. Looks like its going to be a good GW event.

2. Confirm the list should say "7760" although not visit confirmed yet.

Steve
    (WSW)

3. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    This Gala is now being billed as the "GWR175 - The Prelude"

Engines expected to take part are now: 3850 4160 4566 5029 5322 5542 5553 6024 6960 7812 9351 9566
    plus Peckett 1788. Not every engine will run every day.

More info from http://www.wsr.org.uk see latest news.

GWR 175 - The Finale will be next year 30 Sept-3 October 2010

David

4. Columbine

Columbine Member

It would be nice if all the guest engines ran everyday excepting unforseeable technical issues. Please also can the timetablers arrange so that there is a mixture of chimney and tender first engines out of both Minehead and Bishops Lydeard every morning, and no charters!

Thanks and regards

5. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

You sure ?, although for sale 7760 is out of ticket at Tyseley.

6. Yes, absolutely sure of the words in my post quoted above, which followed a few posts about a flyer put out in early June. What I posted here was a clarification to a mistake in the flyer.

Anyway. Things have moved on now. See recents posts or check website for latest details. Seems like a great Gala esp for GWR fans!

Steve
    (S&DJR man :) )

7. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

Please remember to add 6695 to that list. She is making a return visit to her home from home.

8. Ann - my webpage was based on a draft leaflet released to me yesterday and 6695 did not appear on the leaflet. Following representations from the 6695 Group, I asked the question of the Special Events Planning Team who confirmed 6695 is indeed booked for the event. The webpage was updated at 4pm today.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing No 6695 on the West Somerset banks in October \:D/

Steve
    (WSW)

9. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

Thanks Steve. We always have a good time at WSR were all staff, paid or volunteers, are friendly and helpful. Accommodation is already booked so Nigel and I will definitely be there. \:D/ \:D/

10. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    I'm booked in at the Lethbridge Arms from 26th to 30th Sept to be on hand for receiving visiting loco's and of course the all important brasso-ing of their shiny bits. (as well and general cleaning and loco prep of course. Plus any other general dogsbody stuff that needs doing.) You'll find me in the bar most evenings if you fancy a pint. :-$

11. No 4566

No 4566 not attending. More later...

WSW

12. Restuarant service

Some websites continue to advertise this service but, I understand the popular restaurant service of brekkie, lunch and tea will not operate during the ASG2009. I understand the lack of volunteers is the reason; other sources suggest the priority task of sourcing locos put discussion about the needs of the QB operation on the back burner. Whatever the reason(s), the lack of a popular attraction is very disappointing. Although not confirmed, I understand the Belle bar/buffet will operate and will serve sausage rolls and pasties, but not the famous QB brekkie.

Steve
    WSW

ps sorry about the spelling of restaurant in the title - I cannot edit it.

13. aldfort

Retired
    QB brekkie

A little bird tells me all is not yet lost. I'm sure Steve will fill us all in if any official news breaks.

14. Restaurant Car

Not sure if I'll be told! But in addition to the buffet/bar car (which has always been a runner at this Gala) the restaurant car has been offered to the Gala Planning Team although no word as yet whether they want it. So, it looks as though the kitchen might be used to heat the sausage rolls and pasties. There will be no "at table" service or brekkie or lunch or afternoon tea. That's the current situation as I understand it.

Steve
    (WSW)

ps Happy for little dickie birds to PM me :)

15. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Why is 4160 classed as BR(W) but 9466 is GWR ?

16. Being a SDJR man, I'm not really up on GWR locos, so maybe someone can advise how they should be described? Here is the current list for the Gala in October:

· GWR 4-6-0 no 6024 King Edward I
    · GWR 4-6-0 no 5029 Nunney Castle
    · GWR 4-6-0 no 7812 Erlestoke Manor
    · GWR 2-6-0 no 5322
    · GWR 0-6-2T no 6695
    · GWR 2-6-2T no 5542
    · GWR 0-6-0PT no 9466
    · GWR 2-6-2T no 5553
    · GWR 2-8-0 no 3850
    · BR(W) 2-6-2T no 4160
    · WSR 2-6-0 no 9351

Thanks

Steve
    (WSW)

17. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

But your list is not the latest one as seen at Minehead nearly 2 weeks ago now though not so far updated onto the WSR website. The list I picked up did not show 5322 & shows 7802 not 7812.

18. Oh dear. Communications, eh! My list is, as far as I know, the latest list provided by the Special Events Planning Team. But maybe they've issued an update. Hmmm.

Steve
    (WSW)

19. aldfort

Retired
    classification of 4160

The only thing I can suggest is the fact the loco was built around about 1948 and has always AFAIK in preservation run with a BR colour scheme.