If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Autumn Steam Gala 1-4 Oct 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by gwr4090, May 11, 2009.

1. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

And the WSR webcam comes up trumps again as we see 6024 run around its support coach, while something (?) takes the uncoupled maroon stock away to somewhere (Williton?).

2. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Keith,

Thanks a lot for this, most appreciated, I'll be down this weekend, Thurs to Sun! Weather forecast looks to be reasonable too!

Regards

3. Maroon stock probably moved by diesel shunter to Bay Sidings.

4953 and 5029 due at Lydeard at 7.15pm. 5029 (with 5553) then leaving at 7.45pm for Minehead. View from Lydeard webcam may be blocked by stored stock.

Steve

4. chilldude111

chilldude111 New Member

I wasnt arund lydeard station tonight but i was sat at home in the Vilage with windows shut and i heard the departure of 5029 or the hall. My god were they going for it. It sounded like they were in my garden!

5. chilldude111

chilldude111 New Member

I wasnt around lydeard station tonight but i was sat at home in the Vilage with windows shut and i heard the departure of 5029 or the hall. My god were they going for it. It sounded like they were in my garden!

6. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

Lets hope we have some more of the same this weekend then! I'll be there from Friday to Sunday, looking forward to the King on the non-stop runs!

7. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

In at the Deep end

5542 'Visiting' its 'home' railway(if you can say that) was thrown straight in at the deep end today following its valve exam and some minor repairs over the weekend, by piloting 88 to Minehead then taking over the service train single handed on what appears to be an 8 coach loading. Probably its biggest single load unassisted since restoration. Plenty of life in the old gal yet.:p

John

8. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

I'm relieved to see that 7802 'Bradley Manor' has touched down at Bishops Lydeard. I was getting a bit jittery and feared that because of the SVR's mishap sod's law might step in and prevent 7802 from heading west.

Paul

9. Sorry, John. My arithmetic failed me again. We have been informed it was only seven. Mind you, that's still quite a load for a little 'un.

Steve - CSE Maths (failed)
    (WSW)

10. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

4566 regularly hauls 8 on the SVR. I had great pleasure in riding behind it on the heavy teak set last month and it handled it in great style with equally good sound effects! Admittedly the SVR doesn't have the West Somerset's gradients but the small prairie is still a remarkably powerful tool.

11. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

But Northbound out of Highley on a wet day with the stock hanging on the check-railed curve through the station....?

12. keith speller

keith speller New Member

Hi,

Quick update

Thursday & Friday the BL-NF brake vans are cancelled as there are HOBC stone trains delivering to the triangle. 9466 will be engaged on station duties, and banking to Crowcombe plus maybe some other interesting duties.

9351 will now be the Williton Thunderbird as 88 has failed with a fractured steam pipe.

5029 will be turned early tomorrow as there was no time to do it today.

cheers

13. Thanks for that, Keith. I should point out that, as I understand, passengers on the "BL-NF brake vans" service (otherwise known as the "Norton Shuttle") do not travel in the goods brake van, but a DMU coach.

Steve
    (WSW)

14. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I hope you all enjoy the gala this weekend as lots of work as gone into preparing for it.

To the 5542 team I'm really sorry it's not as clean as it might be but as you know it took over from 88 when it failed on Tuesday so it's been the service engine for a couple of days.
    I'd only half polished the bonnet when it was whisked away from underneath me (almost).

However 6695 is nice and shiney (Ann I'm sure I saw you taking a quick peak at it on Wednesday evening as I left).

There are some other loco's - Hall, King, Castle an a Manor (plus a few others) there too for those that are interested. Prize for the best kept brass goes to the Manor which was a doddle to buff up.

Have fun! I'm having a lie down now.

15. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    They are indeed powerful. I recall seeing 4566 at the SVR lift 8 out of Bridgnorth on a wet rail. She slipped a few times but got the train moving. Very impressive. She nearly put 60019 to shame which we had travelled behind on a railtour that day! 60019 made more fuss I think.

16. rodders154

rodders154 Member

Retired Grumpy old man
    No I do not currently volunteer

Very impressed with the finish on the Hall this morning, very shiney.

17. Sam_82C

Sam_82C New Member

Research for the National Trust
    Got back from the West Somerset earlier after a fantastic day at the gala! Congratulations to everyone who helped organise such a brilliant event! :D
    I will be putting pics on my website at some point!
    www.pics-by-sam.fotopic.net

18. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

Aldfort, we will not hold it against you. Was looking out for you at B.L. last Saturday, whilst doing some odd jobs on her.(as you said you were heaing down that way) Just sorry we can't spend a bit more time at B.L. ourselves, but might see you tomorrow. I do like your avatar :p

Keep up the good work.
    Cheers,
    John

19. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think we did speak actually John, If you have any memory of a short bloke wearing a floppy cricket hat on Sunday afternoon? You looked a bit busy with the right hand valve gear so I didn't want to disturb you.

20. Double Helix

Double Helix New Member

Hi all,

Just looking at the timetable on the wsr.org site for the 3rd Oct located here: http://wsr.org.uk/cgi-bin/tt.cgi?t=asg3oct2009

Am i right in saying that the 10:05 from Minehead arriving at Norton at 11:55 will then turn in to the 12:05 from Norton to Minehead non stop? if so this may be worth me getting up extra early for.

Thanks

Helix