If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Autumn Steam Gala 1-4 Oct 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by gwr4090, May 11, 2009.

1. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

Not me, I was there all day Saturday, but left it to my skivvies on Sunday. Glad you report they were busy, wouldn't want any slacking :)

Cheers

John,

2. keyhamtrain2

keyhamtrain2 New Member

3. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    AFAIK the Norton trips are run by a shuttle. Plus they could not run Thur / Fri due to HOBC trains delivering ballast to the triangle. Better luck for the weekend.

4. springers

springers Member

Now retired,used to be at sea and later worked in
    No I do not currently volunteer

The way I read the timetable 6024 should haul the 1205 from Norton to Minehead on both Saturday and Sunday,both trains being non stop.
    Colin.

5. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Hi guys,

Had an awesome couple of days (Thurs/Fri),all locos were brilliant,had my first photo pass experience yesterday,it was great and my videos are now up here:

Description:
    Here are some videos i shot at the WSR's Autumn steam event in 2009. This is the first time i have had a lineside pass so it was a new experience and hopefully you will agree that it paid off!
    Includes:
    5224 at Roebuck (Crowcombe Bank)
    5542 at Roebuck
    4953 Pitchford Hall departing Washford
    3850 climbing Washford Bank (from Watchet)
    6695 departing Washford
    3850 approaching Blue Anchor
    6024 departing Blue Anchor

Footage shot on Friday 2nd October

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUT-qFmRlGY

----------------------------------------

and my best one:

Here is a video of 5029 on Friday 2nd October with a train for Minehead at 15:00,the loco could be heard well before the start of this video but due to a biplane crossing overhead it was cut short. However,the loco is still seen working extremely hard on the climb from Watchet to Washford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRmOeNpGnLo&feature=player_profilepage

Pics later

Cheers,
    Mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRmOeNpGnLo&feature=player_profilepage

6. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Just got back from a great down at the WSR ASG, great selection of locomotives in action.

Was impressed with the time keeping, ok it wasn't dead on, but 10-15minutes out for most of the day which is a great improvement to the 45-60mins of previous galas, pitty 5029 had some faults towards late afternoon and then made that 45min delay come back to haunt the railway, but overall I was very impressed with the time keeping. I felt that there were way too many backwards services though, in particular from Minehead.

Please have the QB back for the spring gala!

7. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    If every loco was turned to be smokebox first out of Minehead, the return journey would still have to be tender first. Even with a turntable on the line, a minimum of 50% of the journeys have to be tender first. Bring on the Norton triangle. <BJ>

8. SteamHawk216

SteamHawk216 Member

Retired, my occupation for the rest of my life.
    Autumn Steam Gala 2009

I visited the Gala on Saturday, arriving in a disappointed mood, brought on by the cancellation of the hauling of "The Dartmouth Express" by 34067 Tangmere through Taunton because of Class 47 failure at Salisbury. My mood was soon improved by a fine display of Great Western locomotives.

I must say the one that really caught my eye, and should get a special mention, was the "Large Pannier" Class 9400 0-6-0T 9466 visiting from Quainton. I thank again her crew for allowing me onto the footplate, during a pause of her duties, for a closer look. I'm sure her longtime owner, Mr. Dennis Howells, can be pleased and proud with the way 9466's crew are maintaining and presenting his superb locomotive.

I also, hope the full service "Quantock Belle" is restored for future Galas. I did overhear staff taking details of a lady who was keen to voluteer for duties with the QB. So encouraging.

9. jon5051

jon5051 Member

10. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Just got back from the gala. Had a great time, my thanks to everybody who made it possible. A shame that 'Nunney Castle' packed up on Saturday pm but at least it got the mogul out and about!

I thought the timetable was done very well indeed with no more tender first running that appeared to be strictly necessary bearing mind there is only one turning facility.

All the best!

11. The_Mighty_Kings

The_Mighty_Kings Member

IT Senior Support Consultant
    Not quite sure packing up is the right term. From where I was standing (front window) the noise was outrageous and it made it to all stations without stalling anywhere. Had to hang around at Washford to sort the fire out but as i'm being selfish here, a 25min wait in payment for that noise was well worth it (Thanks lads on the footplate for the updates). There can't possibly be anything louder than a GWR Castle. I did feel sorry for for the gallery just outside BL waiting for the double header, especially with the stunning lighting which appeared on queue.

Then on the way back there was similar problems for the King, this time however we stalled twice on the bank.

12. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    If a loco can't run, it's reasonable to say it's packed up. I was waiting on the footpath between Williton and the A358, took a sequence of the 2-8-0T, waited for the Castle, got fed up and left after 30mins. Later caught up with the 2-8-0T at Washford on the same service where it was very late.

From the gossip along the line yesterday it appears that the grate was clinkered and the loco's performance on that last trip was poor; no doubt through a lack of steam.

It's a shame this occured, it must have been very disappointing to those enthusiasts for whom Saturday was their only visit. I was fortunate to have been there for all four days and I had a brilliant time.

Looking forward to next March, I believe the theme is to be 'BR Standards'.

Regards

13. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    The Castle may be prone to clinkering up. Certainly she was reported as not steaming well when she was moved to Minehead from Bishop Lydeard on the 28th Sept. A member of the support crew I sopke to on the 30th Sept did say the grate was very clinkered but she'd just come in off the main line then.
    Not sure the clinkering up re-occurred during the gala weekend though - only the support crew will know for sure.
    Perhaps it's a little unfair to judge the performance of mainline designed engines on a rural branch line. I'm sure the crew did the best job that they could in the circumstances.
    I too think packed up is a little harsh. To me it suggests a mechanical problem has failed the loco, not true AFAIK in this case.

14. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Nunney Castle

I was on the 15:40 MD-BL on Saturday with 5029. First sign of trouble was when it began to struggle badly on Washford bank which brought back memories of "Canadian Pacific" stalling there a few years ago. However this time we made it into the station where there was a delay of around 25 mins to get the fire sorted out. After that I think it behaved itself all the way to BL. However a decision was taken not to run the Castle double-heading with the King on the last down train of the day. The King handled that one on it's own while the Castle ran light engine to Minehead in the next available path.

The appearance of the Mogul had nothing to do with incident - it was substituting for 6695 which really had "packed up". Does anyone know why?

15. keith speller

keith speller New Member

The problem with the Castle (and possibly the King) on Saturday was a mixture of Daw Mill mainline coal and our stuff apparently - they both ran clean yesterday. Shame you all missed out on the double-header as i had diagrammed it at that time specifically for the sun angle out of BL - but sh*t happens - hey ho.

6695 has a weeping fusible so had to stay at MD to have it replaced, which was duly done.

16. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I have uploaded a short video to YouTube of the Thursday afternoon at the gala between 1400 and 1730.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxsV-Xnc6i8

The video starts with general views around Minehead Station and illustrates 6695 being turned. Then at Ker Moor it shows:

5542 bunker first on the 1605 departure from Minehead;
    ‘KEI’ chimney first on the 1505 departure from Bishops Lydeard;
    6695 chimney first on 1655 dep MH;
    ‘Bradley Manor’ chimney first on 1600 dep BL;
    There are then two sequences after dark at MH showing ‘KEI’ and ‘Bradley Manor’.

I hope everyone enjoys it!

Regards

17. Ben Jervis

Ben Jervis Member

At what point did 5029 pack up? Don't throw such accusations at 5029/WSR if you don't know the facts, they aren't appriceated. Thanks.

The locomotive was in perfect condition, but unfortunately the same could not be said for the fire. When I boarded the loco at Minehead I could see the fire was too thick and was clinkering up. At Washford we had to break up a huge piece of clinker (about 3 inches thick) from the back of the grate and and also emptied the ashpan. Once it was cleared and the fire was built up we couldn't keep the old girl quiet! Once we arrived at BL it was decided that 6024 would take the train alone to try and make up some time. We had even more clinker to break up at Minehead in the evening. Not fun!

Anyway, on a brighter note... We (5029 support crew) enjoyed our stay at the WSR and I personally had a very enjoyable (yet tiring!!!) week working with 5029. :D

18. keith speller

keith speller New Member

Thanks for everything Ben, and thanks to Richard and the rest of the support crew.

19. *8A*

*8A* New Member

Yes Ben, The Mighty Kings and I can vouch for the excellent work by 5029 even allowing for the fire problem, the climb up from Williton to CH was awesome - our ears are still recovering! and special mention to yourself and the other support crew for the stunning appearance of Nunney, looking better than ever!

20. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

Don't feel sorry for me, the light was so good I didnt care that it wasn't double headed.....

[​IMG]

If the Castle hadn't had its problem we would have got a double header at 17.25 when the light was rubbish. I know which I prefer!