If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sometimes, reading the machinations of the WSR I could be persuaded that I am actually reading a well known satirical magazine and not a heritage railway thread. ;)

jnc, Matt37401 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  2. baldbof

baldbof Well-Known Member Friend

Retired, ex-RAF
    Could the Plc's behaviour be viewed as "sharp practice"?

3. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Surely this will (must?) lead to legal action?

If WSRA commercial activities have actually been signed over to the PLC (has that actually been confirmed rather than implied) and payment has not been made, then that must be a clear cut breach of contract that any court could pass judgement on in a matter of minutes.

I assume the PLC supporters on this thread will have some fantastic excuse why this is a good thing and how the PLC are right and everyone else is wrong

Keith

4. Andy Norman

Andy Norman Member

Perhaps its time to remind people that the Petition/Open Letter put together by a group of concerned WSR people is still open for anybody who shares their concerns to sign: http://chng.it/Rtkc8y6z7q

It currently stands at 528.

Perhaps its also time for the WSRA to pass this on to their members so they can have a choice of expressing directly their concerns after the Acting Chairman's statement to them earlier this week. It would seem like the democratic thing to do to allow a wider audience to decide if they are unhappy and show that via this Petition.

Wriggley and Will Foster like this.
  5. RichardBrum

RichardBrum Member

WSRA Board Meeting, 9 December 2019 (note that Mark Smith from the plc was there)
    https://www.wsra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/191209-WSRA-Board-Minutes-Redacted.pdf
    Sale of Promotions
    PCW reported that the Shop & Cafe had been sold to the WSR Plc for the stock at cost plus the values in the asset register of the fixtures and fittings and the building. There were still some adjustments to be made but the final figure would be be of the order of £79,000. As this was the transfer of a going concern VAT would not be payable, but the WSR Plc would provide an indemnity for VAT in case HMRC were to take a different view. We agreed that there should be a press release, and a piece on our website, with a photograph of both Chairmen.

https://www.wsra.org.uk/the-station-shop/
    In December 2019 the WSRA Trustees handed the shop operation over to the WSR PLC as part of an ongoing programme of re-organisation and consolidation of responsibilities on the railway. The existing manager remains and day to day operations continue as previously.

I can't see that there was ever a news piece from either organisation...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2020
    Will Foster likes this.
  6. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

I wonder who might dare to post it on the WSR Staff FB site?......(err, not me....)

Andy Norman likes this.
  7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

8. RichardBrum

RichardBrum Member

9. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Looks like you're allowed to share the link as long as ou say everything is fine and dandy: https://www.facebook.com/groups/938692759562654/permalink/2878496842248893/ Not sure I'd be publicising the petition if I was so opposed to it, but there we go! :rolleyes:

I find it very sad that the attitude there is simply to clear off if you don't like it. It's clear to me that a lot of these people being told to clear off care deeply about the WSR which is exactly why they aren't just shutting up about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2020
  10. rodders154

rodders154 Member

Retired Grumpy old man
    Can someone tell me what happens if the WSRA decide to go to court and win. The PLC then doesent have enough in reserve to be viable and has to go into liquidation and then according to the articles the WSRA doesent have the main benefactor of said articles and then has to wind up itself. The Plc is not a community asset it is a PLC and answerable only to the shareholders. It will no doubt take into consideration the views of the volunteers and affiliated groups but in the end it is only shareholders that the board of the PLC is answerable to. To my knowledge the PLC is doing what they can to make sure the railway is there for the Future and acts like the chairman's letter can only if the railway folds be looked upon a nail in the coffin of the WSR hammered in by the so called support organisation. "Et tu,Brute". It may come as a surprise but I feel that Alfort is an honourable man and even though we have our differences I don't believe that he was the driving force behind this move. Remember that should the plc go under there will be no WSR 2020 plc as many on here hope will happen, the bank who owns everything will see to that 1 thing that confuses me is the 2 coaches as security for the debt. If as everyone knows the bank owns everything how could the PLC use them as security against the loan? . I would urge anyone who wants to see the plc saved now contribute to the donations page of the official website of the west somerset railway.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Maunsell907 and Steve like this.
  11. Snifter

Snifter Well-Known Member

There are a number of issues that would be avoided if the entire operation was under the control of a charity / community interest group. As I understand it, there's only one barrier in the way. Yes, Mr Aldfort is an honourable man and he is driven by the legal obligations that a charity must follow. As a former trustee, you will understand that better than most and will agree that Aldfort spelled this out very clearly in the recent letter. If the WSR is to be steered away from the cliff edge then there's one pair of hands that need to be prised off the steering wheel. The WSRA did offer a very simple solution of transferring everything back until the plc could afford to pay. Ask yourself why that was not acceptable and leaves the WSRA with the option that you describe along with the consequences that may go with it.

12. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

And people moan we are sometimes hardline with our approach here!!!

Some interesting comments on there though from some people I recognise from here. Amongst the general denial I see that there is some sense with one comment about not underestimating the opposition and the suggestion to engage a sensible one.

Andy Norman and johnofwessex like this.
  13. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    As with 4160, it isnt that easy for the WSRA to walk away from the situation as the trustees are required to act in accordance with the terms of the Trusts constitution.

What is also interesting is what might happen if the PLC were to go under as the liquidators would be required to make a report to the relevant Government Department - I cant think of which it is off the top of my head if they find any evidence of misconduct. This can result in a director being disqualified. Something that might have a greater impact on some of the directors than others

14. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

But if you were a trustee with legal obligations would you not wish to ensure you fulfilled them?

As an outsider to me it seems some have had to make a difficult decision but there is no shame whatsoever in protecting yourself in a situation such as this. In fact you could argue that the situation looks to of been forced on them by the actions of another party. I think if I was in the same position I’d want to do the same to protect myself and think in reality so would you.

Final question, what alternative to you suggest as a way forward which is satisfactory to all parties and any legal obligations?

15. Piggy

Piggy Member

from HOPS

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  16. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Just when you think, it can't get any worse, it seems the parties that make up the West Somerset Railway find another way to add another turn and twist, , it looks like the railway, or those who are given power over it, are on some self appointed destruction of the thing they are meant to be protecting, early on, i did question if the PLC were looking towards an new structure whereby they have a " tame" support group who do their bidding, and the others are pushed to the margins, then told to leave, the appointment of the assistant chair of one, lesser organisation to the board, whilst at the same time, undermining the others, would indicate this is the chosen way, , the shareholding of one used to stop any action should it come to it, classic divide and rule.

17. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Just when you think it’s safe to switch off and quiet....there comes a release on WSR PLC headed paper, this time them being derogatory towards the WSRA. This time for some reason all within quotation marks, yet not attributed to anyone. More attempts to defend the indefensible.

I find myself questioning why the stock in BL shop is currently unsalable. Many other heritage railways are utilising their online presence to continue trading by mail order. Indeed I recently purchased a rather nice OO sdjr 2p from the s and d at Midsomer Norton. Also could the shops, with one way flow and limited entry not reopen, much like the rest of England’s retail? More missed chances by the PLC to bring in revenue!

At least the petition has made an impact, releases are now much more professional on headed paper and communications are now in the open for all to make their own informed decision.

18. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes, it seems rather similar to a North Korean website about politics, sponsored by the state, and a vehicle for expressing your love for the Dear Leader. At least, to be fair, I don't think that JJP would shoot any dissidents!

John

19. RichardBrum

RichardBrum Member

Can anyone explain this;

28 June 2019
    Termination of appointment of Paul William Conibeare as a director

1st August 2019
    The Railway wishes to announce that Mr Conibeare has decided to leave the Railway from Wednesday 31 July 2019. Mr Conibeare started with the Railway in 1983 and has held a number of posts, latterly as General Manager.

21st February 2020
    Local Railway Man Appointed as New General Manager at West Somerset Railway
    The new General Manager is local Taunton railway-man and active WSR volunteer Justin Kerr-Peterson

23 April 2020
    Appointment of Mr Justin James Melville Kerr-Peterson as a director

Annual Report for 1/1/18-31/3/19 > Chairmans Report > Changes to the board
    "...I have taken action to end the conflict arising between the office of General Manager and his role as a Director which resulted in the departure of Paul Conibeare..."
    Dated 1 November 2019

Roland Bushell and 35B like this.
  20. RichardBrum

RichardBrum Member

Are the WSRplc stating that none of the stuff available from their online shop is from the BL stock? Or that they have no way of putting that stock on the online shop?
    https://westsomersetrailway.digitickets.co.uk/category/24215?navItem=137698