If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

Being Somerset, it's simply an updated version of the Sweet Track :)

Forestpines likes this.
  2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think people need to be very careful about what they suggest and wish for . The WSR for all its ills , is a complete railway . That it is long is not its downfall and should not be an excuse,. it should be a point of celebration and a reason to go , as a traveller you want a journey . A section through the quantocks that changes to the seaside section along the Bristol Channel . It is also a largely complete GWR holiday line (more so than Paignton)

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    The GWR bit I understand and agree with but the DSR is as complete a holiday line as you could hope for with an enviable tourist model, location and footfall. And if you really want GWR then there is always the SVR, for example.

Sadly, and for far too long, the WSR has failed to sort itself out in all the 'invisible' areas that matter, It may have a better regard for authenticity compared with the DSR but that alone doesn't balance the books as is now apparent.

Graft on and jnc like this.
  4. ikcdab

ikcdab Member Friend

WSRHT Trustee, Journal editor
    Completely agree. There is no sensible way of shotenimg the railway. Cut off the BL end and you lose the most popular starting point with its car parking and facilities. Chop off off the MD end.. well that speaks for itself. The strength of the railway is that it is a complete branchline, there are so few of these and you can get the impression of a real steam age journey that actually takes you somewhere sensible, it doesn't just dump you in the middle of a field. Shortening the line is inconceivable to me and time is better spent deciding how to capitalise on the wonderful asset we have, not thinking about how we chuck it away.
    Ian Coleby

5. Sidmouth

The key thing is to get a management team that can work together , supporting bodies that do just that , all working to the good of the railway and not the individual components and a vision and business plan that makes the very best of the assets of the WSR.

6. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

Given that many have been feeling for a while that there was a significant over-reaction to start with (there was data early on, e.g. from that cruise-ship, that this wasn't a re-run of the 1918 influenza), an impression which actual experience has likely spread more widely, that change could and should have been expected.

Noel

7. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Given that many of us agree with your assessment it should not be overlooked that currently and in the future, I dare say, the WSR is unsustainable as it stands. It relies heavily on volunteer input and philanthropy, moreover its ticket and operating receipts are dropping annually. Presumably the PLC has a plan of action to avoid insolvency but the present tack, alienating much of its support, does not give many onlookers confidence about the future of the line. The length of the line was fine when it was really a national branch line: it no longer is, but a tourist line. Harping back to pre Beeching days is wonderfully nostalgic, but it does not pay the bills.

8. Triumph 2500S

Triumph 2500S Well-Known Member

Retired
    That will wind everyone up Big Al!!

nine elms fan likes this.
  9. Vulcan Works

Vulcan Works Member

That’s an odd statement. There is no ‘ideal length’ of railway, it just depends on what the overall package is to make it attractive for passengers and supporters. It’s true that the longer the line the harder and more imaginative the commercial team has to work (supported by all the other departments of course). I support my railway in Derbys and the management team there is entirely unable to manage our modest 4 miles and generate any positive growth. Incompetence is not directly related to the length of a line!

10. 5914

5914 New Member

I have nothing invested in either WSR or IOWSR - apart from wanting both to survive! (Lest my wider family's appreciation of is seen to be labouring one point or other...)

My oldest son (10) will go to any railway - any size, any length, any traction - just doesn't matter. He had a fabulous day at SVR with his grandparents - whole day on the railway, with a visit to the town in Bridgenorth via the cliff railway - length of line no problem. Visit to CCLR - perfectly happy with a 10 minute trundle each way behind a 15" diesel - short length of line not a problem.

My wife: 'Where are we going?' Overjoyed at a nice journey to Whitby on the NYMR with fish and chips and seaside at the end - length not a problem. Equally, quite happy to take the train from Swanage to Corfe to poke around and have lunch in a pub garden. But, 'No point in taking a train to no-where'. (Self and eldest son had to visit GWSR alone last year)

My youngest son (8) will do his best to avoid any trip anywhere - so not an obviously useful source of data! However, once on a train, he will sit for hours looking out of the window at countryside and animals.

May be not typical market research - but there is not one size fits all in terms of customers, just as there is not one size fits all of railways.
    However, those railways need to match what they have to the available market. In terms of lines of similar(ish) length to WSR NYMR and SVR both seem to manage this - but WSR seems to have struggled in recent years (having been market-leading once upon a time) at this fundamental marketing task of matching people and product.

11. Triumph 2500S

Triumph 2500S Well-Known Member

Retired
    You wouldn't shorten anything would you but you would consider a phased reopening of what was immediately serviceable surely?

I thought was what the Cornish called them?!!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  12. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

13. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

What, Grockles, yeap, but the end result is the same, you either get eaten by the Beast of Exmoor, or turned into Cornish pasties by the pixies.:eek::eek::D

Triumph 2500S likes this.
  14. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

The Cornish call them "Emmets", an Old English word for ants.
    Grockles is the Devon equivalent, which I've also heard used in Somerset.

Both refer to "vurriners", which is all those good folk from East or North of Brizzle (or "Bristole", depending on which of its parts you come from !)

Dainton

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Hampshire Unit likes this.
  15. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I'd suggest Grockles is fairly universal to describe holidaymakers. I first heard the term in Wales when volunteering on the Talyllyn in the 1960's, well before I discovered Devon. Common in Yorkshire, as well.

Derek Riley likes this.
  16. pgbffest

pgbffest New Member

As a good example of the two model thing

Ffestiniog - short journey to TYB which is basically marketed as a short heritage experience
    Welsh Highland - a full day out (aimed at tourist timings) from Caernarfon to Beddgelert and marketed as such by the ability to buy a picnic hamper etc before you go.

Services start on the latter on Tuesday (the test run was yesterday to Beddgelert), running on the busier days of the week to start with http://www.festrail.co.uk/information/.

Even if we weren't in this situation, it is noticeable on the WHR that the train to Caernarfon loads a lot better than the train to Porthmadog. Why? Well, Caernarfon is a well known destination with a Castle (and therefore in people's minds - something to do), so people would make the most of their day out by potentially fitting in two things within their day.

Hirn and Monkey Magic like this.
  17. 60044

60044 Member

Things change, too. Goathland was at one time a very popular destination on the NYMR because of "Heartbeat" but memories of that are now fading, and although it's later appearance in the Harry Potter films revived some of that popularity I think it has largely lost out to Whitby as the preferred destination for most visitors. It does still offer an alternative, though.

18. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    No, you get sent to the treacle mines of course!

martin1656 likes this.
  19. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    Do the owners of the Chobham Treacle Mines want them? :Googleit:
    Pat

20. Sidmouth

the WSR as a steam days route was Norton Fitzwarren to Minehead. In its current form BL to Minehead you can recreate just how it was especially in the BR era and the section to Norton Fitzwarren . Unlike the DSR which has been largely stripped of its GWR charm the WSR still has it. Its switchback nature also has some of the appeal of the S&D

given the lines decline in what has been a growing preservation market , you have to look to management actions which in hindsight have squandered or at least taken for granted the lines appeal and charms . long standing factional infighting and leading people circulating through boards has led to a staleness that unless something is done soon will lead to worse