If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    @Paulthehitch Online booking doesn't have to be for specific trains. It can simply offer an open return ticket.

Few heritage railways work at capacity on normal (pre-covid) operating days, so forcing people to choose specific trains seems unnecessary and could put some people off.

Heritage railways are a leisure activity where people are sometimes travelling some distance. So there needs to be flexibility to accommodate visitors.

2. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I never mentioned the ticket stock - that would be for the tail to wag the dog. In any case, my point was not about what happens mid-pandemic, when all our choices are constrained, but post-pandemic - which is what your post clearly pointed towards.

As for the website information, that neglects two factors. One is the pure impulse purchase by a gricer - I've made trips before based purely on seeing the right thing at the right time, never having previously thought I'd be travelling that day. The other is the family holiday, where plans for the day often aren't made till breakfast. Both WSR and NYMR have benefitted from such journeys in the past - journeys which if I'd had to pre-book would, could, never have happened.

3. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    One of those 'wise' pronouncements that will be so much chip paper in months, or perhaps 2022.

That's fine for a Railway operated from principal station to nowhere-very-much and back. It doesn't even work for the IOW with two sources of originating journeys - Havenstreet and Smallbrook - even less so the 'major league' railways with a number of originating points along the line.

Robin

Paul42, 35B and alastair like this.
  4. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

Just an example of how completely pointless concerns of this kind can be. Knowing that the air pump on 298 failed last thing yesterday, I looked at the Havenstreet webcam this morning to see if it had been fixed. W11 had been substituted so it was a train of utterly authentic IOW equipment. Pre-booking, with any modificatikons as a result of experience is the way its gonna be!:Resistanceisfutile:

5. Paulthehitch

I am afraid this shows how little you really know. Passengers are getting used to on-line booking with surprising rapidity.

6. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

The problem with continuing with Edmundsen tickets may be more basic and practical. There seems to be a problem obtaining the right card stock at present.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Paulthehitch likes this.
  7. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I don’t understand what point you’re making, but it seems to reinforce mine - that there is an opportunity cost to running a pre-booking model, because it will struggle to accommodate impulse purchases arising from ad hoc decisions.

I don’t dispute that there can be benefits to pre booking models, and that they may be better business for railways than turn up and go. I merely ask that both the upside and the opportunity cost are considered, to form a considered judgment.

I also observe that what works on the IoWSR may not work elsewhere, because the nature of the operation is markedly different. I gave a couple of scenarios that I have personally experienced as a paying punter, and which I suggest deserve weighing in the balance as railways consider their strategies post pandemic.

One final point. For a railway claiming to be a heritage experience, turning normal services into reservation only workings is distinctly unauthentic - such “limited” trains were noticeable by their rarity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ross, MellishR and flying scotsman123 like this.
  8. Paulthehitch

I have no expertise in computing whatsoever but I do understand one of the reasons for altering the IOWSR website was to aid remote booking via i phone. Presumably further "tweakings" may be needed now the proportion of such bookings has risen so high.

Enthusiasts getting worked up re pasteboard ticket whilst paying little attention to preserved railways running mainline style trains hauled by express or heavy freight locomotives has always seemed odd to me.

9. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Oh to be a fly on the wall in a room with Messers Smith, Parkinson, Price and Hitch and hear where the first 3 are going wrong! ;) Anyhow we seem to have digressed, shall we get back on topic?

Paulthehitch likes this.
  10. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

This is highly relevant to the WSR, as a discussion of what may be involved in running a system based on pre-booking. As for the use of mobile devices to book, there is plenty that can be done to make that easier - but it is the requirement to pre-book that is a concern.

ross likes this.
  11. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Passengers have been used to advanced booking in Somerset for 5 years or so.

But when it unexpectedly rains mid-afternoon and a ride on the train becomes attractive, you would suggest that trade be turned away? Jibes about 'how little we know' are almost as silly as pontification that what works in one place (the IOW) is the only way to do something. But that's your thing and I suppose you wont be changing it anytime soon.

We can all learn from each other, if we keep open minds.

Robin

12. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

My understanding, pre-Covid, was, in the instance I mentioned, over 50% were on-line bookings. Lockdown has caused many people, myself included, to order many items, including groceries and clothes, on-line. Before Covid a shop visit would have been the order of the day. Peoples way of life have changed - a lot for the worse in many instances it appears.
    I doubt this will change much in 2021, but there will always be the casual travelers who arrive unannounced.
    Non-Edmonson pre printed tickets are far more efficient for a busy line, especially a short one like the DSR. A party of four adults and three children need only one ticket, not seven that need to be scrutinised, clipped, or wherever a line may do. Edmonsons are fine on quieter lines, particularly longer ones.

13. Paulthehitch

Absolutely so (he says pointedly)

14. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    Seems (almost) like a good moment to point out that printing Edmondson tickets 'over the counter' is possible.
    20200820_135016.jpg
    If the Harz can source the stock, where's the problem?
    Pat

green five, cav1975, Paul42 and 2 others like this.
  15. 53807

53807 New Member

Or the boiler gets a fast track overhaul at somewhere like HBSS so the out of traffic time is short. That might even be done during the closed season. I don't recall if an extension to the boiler ticket has been discussed at all or is possible a some engines previously have worked longer than the norm.

16. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Again much depends on the state of the boiler, both internally, and externally, MHR uses RO treated water, which has no harsh effects on the boilers, meaning less work at boiler overhaul time, if an engine has used mainly this water, as its non corrosive but of course the engine is largely an unknown until its done a season , and then , the boiler shop staff will have a better idea of what the boiler will need doing, to get its next ten year ticket.

17. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    When will 53808 go over to being discussed in Mid Hants Operations?

18. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

I believe it will be time for 53808 to feature on the MH thread once she is loaded on the low loader.
    More when she arrives on the MH and finally - and hopefully much more - when she is operational.
    I look forward to photos of her running on the Mid Hants and I guess lots more here on NP do as well.

19. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Quite so. I regard the WSR as having thrown in the towel, and am far from convinced that the plc has any will to reopen.

nine elms fan and staffordian like this.
  20. Fair bit of detail about outstanding PW work and explanation of issues with Seaward Way level crossing in the new edition of Steam Beano. There's a lot to do to enable trains to run in December and it looks most unlikely the crossing will be operational again before March. Let's hope SCC are up to speed with an agreed spec and timetable for this critical work.

Piece about 53808 says ring fenced funds for her overhaul were spent over two years ago.

green five, JBTEvans and malcolm imps like this.