If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Great Western

Great Western Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The difference is Mr Smith at WCR doesn't want or need our money to sustain, save and run his business the WSR does. If as heritage railway or any other organisation wants people to donate their hard earned money they have to be wholly transparent in their information sharing. Heritage railways aren't secret boys clubs or the holders of state secrets, it often feels like it though but they still hold out the begging bowl wanting our money to dig them out of the latest hole poor management has got them into.

Run your railway like a efficient business, not a personal private occasionally open to the great unwashed trainset or go bust simple really, the Llangollen Railway are on the very end of the knife will they see 2022 as a operational railway who knows, will the WSR who knows? but I for one wont be handing over my money to either that's for sure.

Downline, Monkey Magic, jnc and 2 others like this.
  2. Great Western

Great Western Member

I take the view that let those who wish to cause problems, cause problems. If work is being undertaken in a safe manner than there's no issue. The agency who the 'incident' is raised with will investigate will do so, find no issues then move on.
    The more times reports are made, and found to be nothing more than trouble causing the less likely the receiving agency are to take them seriously and eventually mark complaints as unfounded from the start.

3. Great Western

Great Western Member

The SVR, NYMR and MHR have fantastic official YouTube channels now, the level of engagement is fantastic they've (SVR) have now received a donation from me.

4. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I just have that feeling that WSR plc didn't try very hard to run trains. One thing I learned at school was that one excuse for not having done one's homework was better than several!

Downline, D1039, MattA and 8 others like this.
  5. City of truro fan

City of truro fan Member

I have been trying to work out if kilmersdon has managed to stop at every station at the line. It will be easier to do in its new railway as its shorter and less stations.

6. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Heritage railways rarely run non-stopping trains, so it's fairly safe assumption to make that any loco hauling a passenger train would have stopped at every station. The only likely senario where a loco would not have stopped at every station where it is based would be if the line was extended while the loco was out of ticket.

7. D1039

D1039 Guest

O/T I've sent on your appreciation to Lesley Carr, SVR's head of communications who's the person responsible for organising this. On her behalf, thanks

Patrick

8. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

Oooo Look!!! Engaging with your supporters and giving a pleasant (and unsolicited) response all within 24 hours...

WSR Senior Management, are you looking? Can you see anything you might like to try?

Great Western, tom-bex, MattA and 5 others like this.
  9. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

No, there is a separate thread for that and has been for months, or is it years by now?

10. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

It's a time-hallowed British tradition, wanting your customers to just shut up and hand over the money. Back in the 70s, Robert Robinson summed it up in an piece entitled "Customer, Beloved Enemy".

Great Western likes this.
  11. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

The SVR's general manager also referred to 2999 as a guest 'vehicle'. :Wideyed:

12. JBTEvans

I doubt Kilmersdon ever called at Doniford, even Stogumber, while on the WSR. Happy to be corrected.

13. JBTEvans

They actually ran trains post March 2020. Something various other railways didn't.

14. JBTEvans

There was WSR TV too that was started around this time last year, but that seemed to die a death.

15. Downline

Downline New Member

You are correct. But it took them until christmas to run something, how many months later than other railways that target a similar geographic area?

16. JBTEvans

All railways are unique.

17. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Oh no, more old ground! :( Can't the WSR have some fresh controversy so folk here don't have to reheat more old ones!

As far as I remember, the WSR came out with some largely unconvincing excuses as to why they couldn't run anything at all, including their largely TSO fleet (despite other railways in a similar position managing), and the Minehead crossing (plenty of other railways have successfully run 10-20 mile round trips from nowhere to nowhere in considerably less attractive scenery in less touristy areas). What they didn't mention, but @Steve has done since, is that if the WSR had tried to operate, it's likely that they'd have had a tap on the shoulder and a stern look from Mr ORR before a slow serious shake of the head saying "I don't think so". (I hope my vague generalisation reflects the situation as far as it goes Steve and I haven't mis-cited you!) Again, Covid spared WSR management a lot of blushes, as allegedly the new management were supposed to have had all that under control by now in their "JJP saved the railway" narrative.

18. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

And that neatly summarises hundreds of pages of previous chunter on here! :cool::cool:

19. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    That is my understanding of the situation as it panned out last year; this gleaned from third parties who I have no doubt were close enough to know the reality of the situation. I think all the reasons have actually been mentioned on this thread at different times but I'm not going to list them. Anyone who wants to know will simply have to read through the thousand or so pages and seek them out.

20. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, as in the wider world, there will still be those who will not accept this, as it conflicts with the "official" narrative, and the "official" narrative couldn't possibly be wrong, could it?