If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I wish I could give that ten likes. Very wise of you to come at it like that, I think. (I suppose that's a vaguely political statement, so I'm breaking my own request. Sorry, all; I hope/suppose most everyone can excuse 'kudos to Robin' .)

Noel

Wenlock, Miff and Robin Moira White like this.
  2. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you have not done so already it might be advisable to pre-book online. At least one day of the 50th. Anniversary Gala sold out A couple of rather good preview features on Meridian T.V. may well have helped though.

3. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Thats good to hear. As the K&ESR Director who has the Board brief for the terriers, I am representing the K&ESR and Terrier Trust and I understand a ticket has been put by for me.

Robin

Wenlock likes this.
  4. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

Both lines got good publicity. You might be interested in an IOWSR initiative (as shown on the website ) called ''the First class experience ''. Basically it is an update on the old time luncheon basket.

Clearly it cannot serve entire trains but it is a much simpler way of producing onboard catering.

ross and 3ABescot like this.
  5. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side

[​IMG]

Wenlock likes this.
  6. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

just reflecting on the potential demise of the QB .Is there a scenario where the WSRA position becomes ever more weakened to the point where it faces a future away from the WSR . you also wonder what now happens with the heritage coaches

7. Snifter

Snifter Well-Known Member

In other words, could more supporting groups be picked off one by one, after they have served their purpose, just like the S&D ? Would it be a good idea to consult the membership of the two largest groups and ask the members for their views on the way forward, with a possible outcome which falls in line with the Bailey report ?

Oh, wait a minute........

ross likes this.
  8. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Whilst I can appreciate at times I may appear to be focussed on the WSR I note a broader shift it seems within the movement to the operating entity seeking greater control and a greater share of income . Not WSR related but I am led to believe that one heritage line wanted to restrict access to a third party but supporting organisation alongside one station as they competed with the main offering , I'm sure there are others

it does start to beg the question of whether groups like the WSRA will become seen more as a hindrance than as a help

9. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

"Salami tactics, demanding a little more each day, like cutting up a salami, thin slice after thin slice, keeping the opposition split up, perplexed and hesitating."

Mátyás Rákosi - Leader of the Hungarian Communist Party describing how the Communists came to power and held onto power.

10. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    Otherwise known as "how to eat a whole elephant", answer "one slice at a time".

11. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    I think not, because all other members of what some call ‘the family’ contributed financially when asked to do so.

In the case of the friends group which I support, members voted unanimously at our AGM to amend our Articles of Association to allow such support to be given.

12. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

What would happen though, if your friends group had committed its' money to project X and basically had little or nothing left in the bank when the PLC came knocking?

13. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Driven I believe in part by grant conditions where match funding is involved - I certainly heard that invoked at the NYMR. Ultimately, I'm not terribly surprised at this pattern.

Lenny likes this.
  14. Snifter

Snifter Well-Known Member

Exactly, it's all about the money.

What sort of family operates on the principal of "we won't run out of cash until you run out of cash" ? When the cash runs out or in the case of the former WSRA chairman, the cheque is banked, you may be told to Foxtrot Oscar.

15. Lineisclear

Lineisclear Member

The important constraint that seems to be missed is that charities can only provide financial support within the limited scope of their registered charitable purposes. I believe the S&D Trustees understood that very well. Their charitable aims were focussed on preservation of the memory and artefacts of the much loved S&DJR. Had they diverted funds to support the WSR, even in a time of its need, its Trustees would risk being personally accountable for the misapplication of charity funds.
    To a lesser degree the same is true of WSRA and WSRHT. Neither have the capacity to provide general financial support to the WSR. As a fundraising structure it’s manifestly sub optimal.

16. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I think the "there's nothing in the kitty" discussion is a different one from "there's money in the kitty that we can't give you". I'm strongly in favour of taking a broad interpretation of requirements, with a view to mutual benefit, but that has to be equitable and proportionate.

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  17. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

That's the understatement quote of the week, perhaps.

18. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

The key is in how you ask the question. If you go to an independent charitable group and ask them for financial support to a company’s expenses, they are duty bound to say no.

So if the intention is to see if support is available, reframe the question. “We are in a tight financial position and Covid has made things worse - could you support paying a higher contribution to the overhaul of 53808?” They may still say no, but crucially you have at least made it possible to say yes. And before anyone says “but but but what about the loco agreement?” - these are unprecedented times, and in any case, a loco owning group providing a considerable implicit subsidy to the host railway over and above agreed fees and charges is hardly unknown.

So don’t ask a question for which the answer has to be “no”: find out how to ask a question in which a possible answer is “yes”.

As it is, it seems the WSR plc has achieved a triple whammy. Firstly, it looks likely it has lost future options on the use of a versatile, powerful and reliable loco that many see as the flagship of the line. Secondly it has ended up with the financial liability of the upkeep of Washford Station, with no ready-to-go friends group to take on that role and help with fundraising. And thirdly it has alienated a considerable number of people who may otherwise have provided financial and moral support. None of those three things was inevitable had the plc thought more deeply about what was of value, and how best to obtain it.

Tom

Romsey, Geoff May, Autotank and 26 others like this.
  19. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

I notice RTC are still advertising steam hauled trains to Minehead on 24th. July. This does not fit with recent announcements by the PLC.

20. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

Something that occurred to me, when I read the "Platform"newsletter and noted how it was becoming more like the WSRA journal (in content rather than presentation). With the WSHRT "on side" and with the responsibility of volunteer recruitment now part of its brief, the Plc has less and less need of a supporters' organisation with which it doesn't see eye to eye.