If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Piggy

Piggy Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Oh, YES !

2. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Well I suppose the WSRs loss is also the MHRs gain. Only one real loser and it’s not the SDRT whom ironically are stronger for it. Like I said only one loser in the situation….

3. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

The SDRT faces significant challenges as a result of the Notice to Quit extended by 6 months so far only, and significant issues with 53808 having been intensively used (I will avoid my previous reference to it being "thrashed") and potentially the WSR plc having had free use of the loco since it's last overhaul.

The SDRT needs considerable help and support from you all as a direct result of the actions of the WSR plc board under the chairmanship of the current incumbent.

nick glanf, jnc, Wantage Tram and 6 others like this.
  4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    All the signs are that the S&DRT now has a supportive and productive new home. For the WSR it's rapidly becoming a 'loss, loss' situation, it seems. And plans continue apace, so I am told by an active supporter, to quickly rebuild the S&D story at the new home.

green five, Bluenosejohn, jnc and 2 others like this.
  5. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

I hope that the S&DRT will also help to boost the AVR which I think has a lot of potential given its location. I think it is not just the S&DRT that is gaining but the MHR, AVR and North Dorset.

6. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Several candidates stepped forward last year, with a clearly declared aim of steering (what was just becoming) the WSRHT in a slightly changed direction to facilitate implementation of the Bailey plan and thus a healthy future for the WSR as a whole. We know what happened to them.

ross, jnc, staffordian and 4 others like this.
  7. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

Re the mention of the North Dorset, I paid a visit to Shillingstone last week in the sunshine :) The two S&DRT wagons were parked in the sidings and the Binegar crane is on top of one of them covered by a tarpaulin. Sadly I was not able to establish what plans the NDR had for them.... I was only able to photo the wagons a close range through the fencing, so not really a good picture to post here.

8. ikcdab

ikcdab Member Friend

WSRHT Trustee, Journal editor
    That sounds like a very rose-tinted view of what happened. 14 candidates came forward with a stated aim of closing down the trust and amalgamating with the WSRA. The large number of 14 candidates (put forward as nominations closed) was clearly designed to swamp the existing trustees.
    But let's not rerun that again now. It's done and dusted.
    Ian Coleby

9. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

That's an interesting re-writing of history. Let's not go there since we've been able to get our pot shot in first.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  10. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Given that the PLC have taken disciplinary action against two of those involved, outcome yet to be announced and threatened another two who handed in their PLC ID cards I suspect the matter may be far from 'done and dusted'

11. Snifter

Snifter Well-Known Member

To be totally accurate, the aim was to ask the membership to consider options that would then be subject to a democratic vote. The plan was to hold an extended consultation period on how combining the two organisations would best benefit the railway. Whether that was to merge one organisation into the other or vice versa or to create an entirely new one, it was all up for discussion and consensus before being ratified by a vote. I can only speak for myself but my support for this idea was a combination of what had been done to the SDRT and comments from the agencies dispensing grants that the WSR structure was a barrier to funding. Furthermore, it's easy to pick off tenants one by one however if those that remain circle the wagons then it becomes much harder. A vacated premises such as the museum could then be converted to a loco shed / holiday lets / southern gateway tea room. The elections did not succeed and the 14 (minus the ones who allegedly were persuaded to consider their options) have abided by that outcome.

Returning to the here and now, I hope that the WSSRT can keep paying what increasingly resembles protection money. If everything does go base over apex, what remaining funds will be available to move elsewhere ?

MellishR, ross, nick813 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

sorry Ian , have you been taking lessons from Boris and Matt

as has been reported on here , four of the fourteen have been subject to action, two made the decision to walk , another accepted an outcome and one good friend awaits their final verdict .

to me the matter isn't done and dusted . wedges are firmly being driven , a witch hunt being pursued. another shameful day in the WSR history

the only winners seem to be the HR consultants engaged to deploy the plc's bidding

MellishR, ross, Fish Plate and 7 others like this.
  13. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

can I ask Ian who came to your aid when you were in times of predicament and under threat from the ex 6. I seem to recall you were subject to action on querying the outcome of an EGM after stating you wished to see the voting papers

nick813 likes this.
  14. johnofwessex

What was the 'accepted outcome?'

15. johnofwessex

More to the point, how is the WSR doing financially?

16. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

Losing £1,000,000 a year, it seems.

nick813 likes this.
  17. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

Cannot last at that rate. my prediction? SCC will step in and with the new GBR run the line as an amenity with perhaps a Heritage option at weekends

18. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

SCC to fund that how?

19. johnofwessex

Given the current political climate around rail, and look what has happened at Okehampton, clearly were the PLC to fold, which seems increasingly likely the idea of the line being handed back to be part of the National Network could not be ruled out as an option.

Obviously SCC or its successors are not likely to be in a position to provide cash to fund it but could hand over the infrastructure.

nick glanf, MellishR and oliversbest like this.
  20. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

I see the WSRHT have appointed a new Trustee charge with responsibility of the heritage coaching stock. A thankless task. Ten years plus to restore one coach. No covered accomadation. No up to date restoration shed/ workshop. Limited use of the Williton Shed. The storage yard at Williton leased by The WSRA. The requirement of at least £1000,000 to restore them. Very few skilled staff to restore them. Oh well nothing to see here, move on.

K14 and MellishR like this.