If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    At a guess it will be anyone who might be a threat to those warming their seats on the PLC board, as the pressure starts to build, as things become more acute, and the supporters begin to realise they are facing almost certain loss of their railway, so the bunker mentality and Syphantic reaction by supporters of the PLC is only going to get worse,

jnc likes this.
  2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ian, bless you for your care and compassion towards said individual. I was pondering similar relationships and the one that seemed to fit best was Rudy Gulliani to Donald Trump

Now the said individual has caused more stress, duress and mental turmoil (S&D Trust, 44422, 6695, Volunteers ) than many railway heads and showed little compassion nor remorse in said actions. Could you ask those volunteers subject to the recent disciplinary process if they found it a pleasant experience, with their emotional well being at the core of a dignified and sensitive action . I'd happily argue that clown is way too mild , clowns provide laughter, this one doesn't .

3. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    AIUI that was full of Somerset and Dorset artefacts, presumably now all dispersed.

The museums at Blue Anchor and Bishops Lydeard are more aligned to the GWR, therefore of greater significance to the line.

4. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

..... and, previously the departure of the Dinmore Manor locos - 7820, 3850 and 2874.
    Ray.

5. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

So its better to have a derelict site than have a non-GWR museum that also brought with it possibly the best suited loco for the line?
    Words fail me.

6. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

What are your views on telling volunteers to **** off and inviting people for fights?

Cutting your nose to spite your face.

It strikes me as a perverse arrogance - I could not imagine any of the Premier League lines saying they want to be purely Southern, GWR, LNER, LMS etc. It would be weird for the SVR to only want GWR engines, or the NYMR only LNER locos, or the Bluebell kicking out the Dukedog, NLR tank because they 'didn't fit the line's pre-preservation ownership' theme.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  7. Dinmore Manor Ltd.

Dinmore Manor Ltd. New Member

2874 was purchased by DMLL and left the WSR in 2009, Minehead being an unsuitable location for the geographic of our volunteer workforce. 7820 departed for overhaul in 2010 (has returned on 3 separate occasions since) 3850 departed for overhaul in 2015.

All ancient history and a period of much change within our company which was required.

Nobody said we had to go is the key point which I thought it may be wise to clarify before anyone gets too excited...!

Regards,

Mike Solloway,

DMLL

8. martin1656

With that in mind shouldn't the WSR sell its MK1's and only use GWR stock, but how many GW coaches have you got that is available for use, One isn't it, and the railway hasn't even touched any of the stored GW coaches, that were brought in how many years ago, if only the whole railway had got behind this chance instead they preferred to fight each other, till its got to the point where its questionable if those coaches are actually restorable now.

ross and jnc like this.
  9. ikcdab

ikcdab Member Friend

WSRHT Trustee, Journal editor
    I think my views on that are pretty clear. But for the avoidance of doubt, all forms of abuse are unacceptable.

My point was about this forum. The rules (7.4) are very clear. So I am very surprised to see that @Sidmouth who is a moderator appears to be condoning rule infringement when he says

Moderators really do need to be whiter than white.

Ian C

10. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Given how White I am, not sure how possible that is…;)

Swan Age, big.stu, jnc and 1 other person like this.
  11. Fish Plate

Fish Plate New Member

Presumably then, that makes the current Chairman's position untenable?

Piggy, Swan Age, ross and 7 others like this.
  12. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

Just the sort of project that could make an excellent focussed appeal - covered storage and restoration to produce a veritable heritage jewel. Rather than give us your money or we will die (maybe) or ego driven lets upgrade to red route status so I can play with my trains.

I assume that you told the people responsible for the abuse that it was unacceptable.

MellishR and Fish Plate like this.
  13. ikcdab

ikcdab Member Friend

WSRHT Trustee, Journal editor
    Its worth just knocking this one on the head.
    Clearly I am now out of the picture, but when I was chairman, the thinking went like this. We need people to contribute to a track fund. This was difficult as asking people to contribute to rails and sleepers etc was uninspiring. So the thought was that the appeal would be to run large locomotives. Do you want to see a castle class running again on the WSR? A large shiny, named express locomotive through the west Somerset countryside? If so, contribute to our track appeal. It was, as I was taught, "selling the sizzle, not the sausage".
    As I said, I am no longer in that loop, but I suspect it is not "ego driven" as you suggest.
    Ian C

smithersmark600 and MellishR like this.
  14. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I don't understand this-other railways manage to raise funds for track renewals,so why not the WSR? It all comes down to using your imagination. You don't have to promise bigger and better-whats next, help relay our track so we can run a "Big boy"?

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Here's a thought.

"Our permanent way is in bad shape. If we don't sort it out quickly then we will have no trains so please contribute to our track appeal"

That strikes me as far more compelling than asking for money to run bigger engines.

ross, jnc, MellishR and 5 others like this.
  16. martin1656

Ian, Clearly you love the WSR very much, and have given years to it, Those who have been thrown off by the PLC, also loved the railway, and had given many years of service to the line, don't they deserve better? at least an chance to fight their right to continue with their hobby
    Is it not possible that your love of, the WSR, and wanting the line to survive is blinding you to the reality that those people making the policy have got it wrong,
    You say you abhor abuse, yet appear to not notice it when its a member of the PLC who is abusing their position and stifling dissent and interfering in matters that were at the time not concerns for the PLC, i refer of course to the ten, then 6, members who stood for trustee ship and were subjected to the worse possible abuse,

ross, Dennis John Brooks, jnc and 2 others like this.
  17. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Why would people give money to an organisation which admits that it can't maintain things properly??

Threatening to stop doing something if people don't donate isn't a great approach either.

Squiffy likes this.
  18. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

You mean exactly like the Bluebell?
    It’s also not really any different than the SVR falling sands appeal.

Still at least it was an attempt at engagement, here we are Tuesday lunchtime and still no appeal update. If you offer weekly updates one week, you expect to see one the very next week. It’s almost as if there is something to hide.

ross likes this.
  19. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Ian

The Bluebell raised money to remove refuse from Imberhorne cutting to complete their extension, and this included "Tenner for the tip" with volunteers collecting money on trains.

Paul

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  20. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Personal viewpoint - there is a line , one of balance whereby words should be expressed to convey the sentiment felt . We cannot sanitise ,or pretend that recent events at the WSR that any outsider would feel have dragged the railway into disrepute have not happened . Whilst I absolutely agree that there is no room for abuse , "clown" is not a word in my lexicon I'd suggest is abuse . Those in office have to be accountable for their actions and if as in this case those actions are deeply questionable then we need the words to call it out for what it is