If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Some of us reflect on the actions of the present WSR PLC management over the last two years or so and conclude that they are the troublemakers. Others maintain that those who criticise the management and seek change are the troublemakers. I see no prospect of either side conceding that the other side could be remotely right. Along with others on here, I see a high probability of the PLC keeping to their course until the WSR fails. If it is going to fail, the sooner that happens the less assets will have been sold to maintain cash flow, so the more may be salvageable.

The Dainton Banker and 35B like this.
  2. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You'd probably have to ask them. My assumption is that knowing that there would be a backlash whatever happened, the covert nature of the takeover was give the PLC and their supporters as little time as possible to mobilise against the 10/14.

I think that even if Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, Jesus and Mother Theresa had been among the 10/14 and they had laid their cards on the table retained the highest moral ground possible the reaction and response would have been the same from the PLC and their supporters.

3. Steve Edge

Steve Edge Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Errmmm. Let me help. I'm a WSR volunteer and you are wrong ;)

Steve
    wsr.org.uk

4. Steve Edge

Steve Edge Member

When you come up with a good idea I will commend you, rest assured. I live in hope.

I'm not in a panic. Far from it. I'm just a WSR person who wants to have his say about some of the unhelpful stuff on this forum.

Steve
    wsr.org.uk

5. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

Perhaps if there had been a lot less arrogance and a lot more reasoned arguments that the run of the mill members (rather than those on high) could have considered then things might have been different. If I had been one of the original 12 or 14 or whatever it was and then saw those initial statements, supposedly in my name (as one of those standing) then I would have immediately withdrawn as some others did.

Greenway likes this.
  6. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

10-1

7. Sidmouth

ok how about the one where we all say we were wrong, the chairman is a jolly fine chap, those scoundrels on the land at washford have been successfully rehomed and wsr.org is the best website in the whole world ever

8. Steve Edge

Steve Edge Member

On your first point, I'm not sure who you are referring to. PM me if you like.

On your second point, unlike @Sidmouth I don't claim to represent anyone other than myself, so can't answer the second part, although I'm very aware of the dangers that those outside cannot see.

And just to confirm, I stand firm on the need for radical change as the current setup simply does not work the best for the Railway.

Steve
    wsr.org.uk

9. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

It's interesting to note from the sidelines here....

The Plc seems to be taking a difficult situation (loss of income, ever-increasing costs etc) and producing publicity which somehow merely serves to make the situation even worse, whilst busy alienating many sources of support and funding.

The S&DRT, faced with the difficult situation of an eviction apparently not of their making, appear - from all the recent social media output - to be putting on a brave front, emphasising the positive things that they are doing for the future, moving rapidly forward and effectively putting Washford and the WSR all behind them as quickly as possible - and gathering new members along the way.

I happened to be at Midsomer Norton last weekend and got into conversation with various people from both S&DRT and S&DRHT whom I have known for many years and it was all very 'positive' and a good example of how cooperation can achieve so much so quickly...

10. richards

richards Part of the furniture

But as you have admitted yourself, you have very little hands-on or inside knowledge of the railway itself. So how are you so qualified to tell its members, volunteers or shareholders what to do?!

Just out of interest, what experience do you have in running a heritage railway? Particularly in management positions, fundraising campaigns, liaison with other preservation groups or website development?

And before you accuse me of being a sympathiser or anything similar (again), I have no links to the WSR. I just read the posts by you and others on here, and wish some of you would just wind your neck in. It's not helping the situation to have so much ill-informed rhetoric being churned out repeatedly.

11. Steve Edge

Steve Edge Member

Somehow, given recent exchanges, I don't think you mean any of that, but thanks for the laugh :)

Steve
    wsr.org.uk

12. Sidmouth

funnily enough Steve , I've never said I represent anyone apart from myself either and we both see the need for radical change from someone within and someone unconnected and outside so in a strange way we are not so different

and there is the eternal conundrum about you . you get the need for change and yet support the status quo and against anyone trying to encourage a faster change

Fish Plate and Downline like this.
  13. Sidmouth

On my qualifications , I am a qualified accountant , with a career of 30ish years I've seen how businesses work , led projects , dealt with crisis. I'm also a customer of many railways and over the years have also got to see how railways operate and work and above all I listen to the experiences that so many have kindly shared with me . So I may not carry a WSR volunteer badge but I do get a pretty good feel on the workings politics and dynamics of the railway

I've also raised over £200k for railways through events , run a successful small organsiation , with a strong social media prescence

hope this assists you

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  14. Piggy

Piggy Member

A short, sharp, shock might concentrate the remains of any intelligence that possibly remains in the Plc board. One can only hope ....

MellishR and Chufferpuff like this.
  15. Steve Edge

Steve Edge Member

Nope. If someone can come up with a workable fast radical (structural) change that does not harm the Railway then I'd not necessarily be against it. Fast is not always best. As we have seen.

In this discussion, there are two things maybe - (1) the need for urgent radical structural change and (2) the overwhelming desire from you and others to change the Plc board. My steadfast preference is to encourage the Plc board to accept (1) and get on with it. Yes, until the Plc board do get on with it. then sure, that is "supporting the status quo". (Can I tell you the story of the night in 1969 when my little old band supported Status Quo, the band? Another time then).

I strongly believe those, esp WSR folk, who believe in radical structural change should make their feelings known, in a polite and non-personal way. I hope you share that thought.

Steve
    wsr.org.uk

ross likes this.
  16. Sidmouth

1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive and it certainly feels from comment on here and conversations that 1 action would more than facilitate both . How much of the conversation circles back to the same point and the same organisation position . Is said incumbent bigger and more important than the wsr and its future

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  17. richards

Ok - so, with this practical experience, have you offered to help the WSR in any of these practical ways rather than just criticise them?

Also, if you have no links to the WSR, how do you hope that the volunteer boycott will happen? Do you know anyone who would actually do such a thing? Or is just more rhetoric?

And before you ask me again what *I* would do (and therefore avoid the above questions), I am simply getting clarification for the criticism and ideas which you raised earlier.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  18. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

If there were actually any signs of movement at all, then that would be fair. But as far as I'm aware there isn't even any promise of "Jam tomorrow" anymore with the Bailey proposals kicked into the too difficult pile. A lot of people would be quite satisfied with slow progress, and at one point there did seem to be, but there simply isn't any from what I can make out. I fear that just sitting and hoping that the current board will suddenly change their minds is rather naïve, you have to admit they're not well known for giving in to public opinion.

I thought Martin was simply saying "This could be an option", not "This should be the way forward and this is how I shall lead the charge." A volunteer strike is a very, very nuclear option. It is very risky. If it works within a day or two then the gamble pays off, but it's still horrendous publicity (and we didn't think that could get any worse on the WSR), but the overall aim might be achieved. But if it lingers on long enough for the railway to die, you've had it.
    There's no denying it is a potential way forward, it's just not a very good one. Trouble is, no one seems to be able to think of anything better either. :(

19. ross

ross Well-Known Member

I think that in 40,000 posts in this thread, this is the most intelligent, sensible, measured and hope-inspiring of the lot. Just liking it isn't enough

20. richards

Let's be realistic for a second. The chances of a few posts on Natpres causing a significant WSR volunteer walkout is zero or less. This truly is pub-talk.

Is *anyone* going to put their head about the parapet and offer to start this revolution?

malcolm imps likes this.