If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think we shall know early on if May is looking likely or not. I doubt they propose on holding a SSG 2007 reenactment.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    2J66 likes this.
  2. Faol

Faol Member

Any port in a storm
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There is no truth in the rumours that I am dead, I think. Life is rough but it is now 2 years with the big C.
    So I want to wish Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to all at Nat Pres. But most of all Good Will and Peace to all men and women and lets hope that the WSR and Nat Pres becomes a haven of positivity in 2022.
    Ken D

3. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Ken,

Good to hear from you

Merry Christmas

John

Faol likes this.
  4. bishdunster

bishdunster New Member

Retired, but still far too busy !
    Been a while since we last spoke at BL, glad to hear you are still with us seasonal greetings, regards Bish.

Faol likes this.
  5. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

From the latest WSRA meting 14/12/21:

'Purchase of a 1939 Gunpowder van – Trustees agreed to the purchase as an investment into developing the skills of the young wagon group. The WSRA General Manager will help the group with planning and fundraising for its restoration.'

A few thoughts:
    Which gunpowder van?
    There are a number of wagons that have not been touched for many many years. There is considerable salt water damage to a number of vehicles. I would have thought, I guess incorrectly, that there would be some sort of First in first restored.
    The current wagon gang.....you can count the number of staff one one hand, use the locomotive /goods shed at Minehead. This as far as I can see this is not a permanent arrangement.
    I have encouraged and supported the gang since first formed. So far they have painted vehicles. So far they have not been involved with a 'full' restoration. Taking bits off, machining new parts, welding, repalcing timber sides/floor/ends. I do not doubt for a second that these task could be undertaken by the gang. I though that there were many 'investments available'

Oh well lets see how this develops.

6. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

I would not if it was a condition of attendance, not because of not wanting to do it, but because I would not believe a vast percentage of others who said they had.

7. SebWelsh

SebWelsh New Member

Nick,

The Gunpowder Van in question is this one.
    http://www.ws.rhrp.org.uk/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=8016

It was purchased by Ryan Pope in 2021 and moved to the railway. It was offered to us for a very good price which we could not refuse. It fits well into our 40s themed train in addition to 105493. We see this vehicle as the first of 'our own wagons', however it will not be jumping the queue. We have been aiming to stick to alternating owners for each wagon worked on, 813 fund owned then someone else then 813 fund to make it fair - we will continue to do that.

With regard to number of volunteers in the gang, yes you are right, there are around 5 of us currently. We are looking to expand that with people already within the railway (PTS trained etc). We have more skills than just painting (I have a mechanical engineering degree, Scott does restoration for a living etc), but we are doing the 'quick wins' first and once we've done more of those we will move on to the more time consuming stuff. As for our premises, we have been offered a place in the loco shed at Minehead for most of the year, excluding Jan-March when loco winter maintenance is taking place. When 6024 leaves that situation may change.

We have greatly appreciated the 813 Funds help and support up till now and we look forward to learning how to plank a vehicle as your group has kindly offered to teach us.

Hope that clears everything up. I see this as positive from the WSRA, they have a bit of faith in our abilities and it means a relatively uncommon vehicle remains on the WSR.

We've been going since 10/08/2021 and have nearly completed 3 projects in that time with just the 5 of us - I don't think that's too bad even if they are just repaints.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    acorb, smasher, Will Foster and 15 others like this.
  8. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

I would not disagree with that, but.....are such projects not more appropriate to the WSRHT, being surely heritage rolling-stock in much the same way as the coaches?

9. SebWelsh

SebWelsh New Member

I see it as falling under the education remit of the WSRA.

Will Foster likes this.
  10. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Both organisations own rolling stock, and both organisations have an educational remit, I wouldn't see it as obviously more belonging to one or the other by definition. Let's not drag this excellent initiative into the mire of the WSR organisational disaster zone.
    From personal experience I'd say that whilst it's inevitable that all of us have our favourite wagons that we'd like to see top of the list, it is sometimes better to just be pleased that wagons are being restored and let momentum build up, especially with a new initiative as the folks at the WSR's is. The exact vehicles used to enable that is not important, that can come later. I'm very much enjoying watching progress. :)

11. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Good to hear from you. And on the sentiment, yes that would be good. With luck, if one of these starts to do good things and communicate openly, and well, then there's a good chance that the other will follow automatically. :)

12. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    I hope the gala happens. The virus is with us for good, and we need to stop running around like headless chickens whenever a variant emerges. People have been dying of common flu for many years, and it will be the same with covid.

13. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

not quite in such numbers though and not quite as horribly . I've personally no wish to end up intubated on a ventilator struggling for oxygen and with my organs failing . I shall continue to take sensible precautions and avoid busy days, gala's especially . That is my choice

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    black5, acorb, staffordian and 15 others like this.
  14. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    I'm sure that the many thousands of families who have have loved ones pass away from Covid-19 will be reassured by your kind words. <BJ>

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  15. andykeithharris

andykeithharris New Member

Government Service
    Unfortunately, although nanstallon's comment was perhaps a little over pointed, he is not wrong, and we are going to have to live with COVID idc

16. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Most deaths were before the vaccines were rolled out - until then it was generally agreed that restrictions were necessary. But now that so many have been vaccinated, it seems to me at least that we can, and have to, live with the virus, rather than shutting down the economy. Sajid Javid has estimated that 90% of the most severely ill in hospital at the moment are unvaccinated.

Great Western, desperado and maureen like this.
  17. D1039

D1039 Guest

I see that at 14th December the appeal had reached £167,424, though I guess the existentialism has drifted away thanks to the award of £865,000 under CRF3.

Workbook is attached, showing £108k raised in 7 weeks, a step up from the early fundraising. A comment is that the WSR, as is their prerogative, have historically included a wide range of things in their appeal totals such as reduced future utility bills, station funds and amounts donated by the charities. The original SOS target was revenue (excl. Infrastructure). I don't know, for example, how the two infrastructure grants totalling £44,558 from the funds currently held by WSRA in their Rail Renewal fund will be treated. But, as I say, it's all rather moot now with the CRF grant

Patrick

Attached Files:

18. 34015

34015 New Member

Signalling Engineer
    CRF3 ? You mean CRF1 !

19. D1039

D1039 Guest

My bad. For some reason I'd got it into my head that the WSR had been successful in round 3. In which case:

I see that at 14th December the appeal had reached £167,424.

Workbook is attached, showing £108k raised in 7 weeks, a step up from the early fundraising. A comment is that the WSR, as is their prerogative, have historically included a wide range of things in their appeal totals such as reduced future utility bills, station funds and amounts donated by the charities. The original SOS target was £500k for revenue (excl. Infrastructure). I don't know, for example, how the two infrastructure grants totalling £44,558 from the funds currently held by WSRA in their Rail Renewal fund will be treated.

Patrick

Attached Files:

20. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

I wonder if , as utility bills are soaring, does that mean that the savings have been wiped out and so should be removed from the Appeal total, or are the future savings potentially greater and so the Appeal total increases?

Jon