If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Right, so you think the WSR should venture into Welsh narrow gauge and running mainline specials in northern England?

2. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

If that’s the only permutation, it’s a highly restrictive one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. JBTEvans

So where else do people wanna go from Watchet?

4. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

No, and I’m not quite sure how you imagine that’s what I did say. For the hard of thinking, my point is that, as others observed, that lessons learned in one place can be applicable elsewhere. Which means that experience from north Wales and Dalesman could be applied in west Somerset.

I’m equally sure that lessons from Somerset could be learned in other quarters, though I suspect they are less about repeating success than avoiding failure.

MellishR likes this.
  5. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Not where, but when. If I were staying in Minehead and my purpose was to go to Watchet, then the choice between a tightly constrained railway timetable and a faster, more frequent and cheaper bus (assuming no car) wouldn’t be difficult.

6. JBTEvans

Ok, well what experiences can be learnt from FR and WCRC that is of any value to any standard gauge preserved railway?

They are totally different operations.

7. JBTEvans

The WSR is not competing with the bus, unless the bus service is operating a steam train service too?

Another Yorkshireman likes this.
  8. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

And there you demonstrate wilful obtuseness. A heritage railway of any length is both a means of getting between two places and an end in itself. If it forgets that, then it will deprive itself of custom.

In the case of middle of day trips, Watchet is a destination worth a wander from Minehead. It can be pleasant in its own right, and it can also be the start of a nice walk - the old railway, perhaps, or maybe if the tide’s out, a walk to Blue Anchor on the rock beach (sedimentary geologists are fascinated by such things!). For someone who has decided to go to Watchet, the choice is then to do with mode. And that is where, if the trip is too difficult by one mode, business will be deterred and go elsewhere.

9. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

If you’d actually read what I’d written earlier, you’d know where the point of comparison is. As a tourist, the FR is very similar to the WSR.

Miff and Matt37401 like this.
  10. JBTEvans

Exmoor national park, which the WSR doesn't run through but is close to, gets less than half visits of Snowdonia, which the FR does run within. Source.

11. bluetrain

bluetrain Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    According to its annual reports, the WSR carried over 200K passengers each year from 2005 to 2011, with a peak of 226K in 2009. During those years, the WSR was certainly a most successful heritage railway. If you go back to the start of this thread, you can see the optimism of that age.

12. 46229

46229 New Member

Just to clarify when quoting colour coded RAs, there is no such thing as a ‘Blue’ or ‘Red’ route anymore and hasn’t been since 1966 when the old Western system was replaced by the more accurate BR numerical system based on the equivalent uniform distributed load on a single bridge span - which was largely based on the old ER system. The WSR is currently RA5 from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead and I think RA9 from Norton F to Bishops Lydeard.

13. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    ..... although they often tend to be a distinct minority of yer average heritage railway passenger complement :)

35B likes this.
  14. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

For a start the FfR’s proven fundraising ability, consistently raising very large sums from all available sources including public/member appeals; grants from public bodies; and generous benefactors. Add very effective PR and marketing operations; and the ability to attract and maintain a large volunteer base in a fairly remote part of the UK. All controlled by a charitable trust. Surely a useful thing or two here.

And from WCRC, the self-confidence to rise above all criticisms (whether justified or not) and just get on with the job.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  15. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I said the railway is similar as a tourist, not that the catchment area is similar. And “similar” does not mean “identical to”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluenosejohn and Matt37401 like this.
  16. 30854

Retired
    Add an admirable capacity to ignore the baying hordes of gricers, constantly clamouring for updates! ;)

Bluenosejohn and Miff like this.
  17. jamesd

jamesd Member

If a family holidaying in Minehead and reliant on public transport, wanted a day out in Watchet and their primary motivation was cost they would almost certainly not use the WSR and would favour the bus. The only reason to use the WSR would be for a ride on a steam train and for most families this reason is justification enough for the journey. There's a reason why BR closed the line as the maths didn't add up and operating the line with steam is the only way it has survived this long. Trying to justify it as quasi public service is a non starter.

18. 30854

Retired
    That's the angle from which I'd been looking at the WSR too. Reading many posts on here though has given me pause to reflect on many comments indicating the bulk of traffic originates from BL, rather than Minehead.

Without seeing some breakdown of actual recorded footfall (which, after the two years from hell we've all endured, would be two years out of date anyway!), all we effectively have is anecdotal evidence. Quite how the dreaded lurgi affects usage patterns and thereby long-term strategy is another matter entirely. To that extent, all of our lines are in something of a limbo, right now.

The last time I was down that way, trains only ran as far as Williton, so I'm unfamiliar with anything south of there. Seeing comments on this thread prompts the question, do all timetables call for light engine and/or ECS movements over the full length of the line? Can someone please tell me what facilities currently exist at BL?

19. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

There are no ecs or light engine movements required in the timetables. The high season tt requires two sets of stock, two locos and the DMU to stable overnight at BL, which are easily accommodated in the platforms and the sidings to the south of the station, and the loco servicing facilities. One set of stock and loco stables in MD. The only light engine movements are when a diesel loco is rostered to come from the DEPG at WN.

30854 likes this.
  20. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I’m not remotely trying to justify the WSR as public transport, but highlighting how price and convenience combine in affecting customer decisions. The idea that there is a hard separation between destination and travel when a heritage railway goes to or through destination locations is misleading.

That means not putting up barriers to would be customers, such as very restricted journey options that lend themselves to being undercut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MellishR likes this.