If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Great Western

Great Western Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It was the opinion or you could say under their breath comment I took exception to, not the actual suggestion.

2. Great Western

Great Western Member

That was my take on things, Chairman has a nice shinny loco but it could be to heavy for the line. Chairman suggests there could be a work around to employed staff...the next day the work around is found everyone is happy - until serious damage is found some years later.

I assume the hire fees the locos holding company charge the WSR will be hidden under commercial confidentiality clauses so who knows if the holding company is charging the railway silly money to use it. Maybe even a cheeky 'use it, and overhaul it' contract...charge the railway to use your loco, then get them to overhaul it as well !

But then again, what if the railway decide to go back on the contract and refuse to overhaul the worn loco? Can the owner sue the chairmans railway for breach of contract?

D7076 likes this.
  3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Is it not the case that most individuals who own locomotives generally don't also own a whole railway system? Even Jeremy Hosking has non-loco liabilities limited to a specific site. My point is that unless you are the person bankrolling a railway line then the fact that you own locomotives that you would like to run on that line is actually rather complicated.

Whilst it's not my concern how the WSR runs, it doesn't seem to be the easiest set of circumstances where the boundaries are clearly drawn. Or is that just an unfounded worry?

4. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Maher family and LHR.

5. Great Western

Great Western Member

From my experience of the LHR is run very much like Dartmouth profit, profit, profit. Unlike the WSR which seems to the be opposite !

D7076 likes this.
  6. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

You can't please some people any of the time.

7. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Talking of which, from what I can tell of he 4160 judgement/agreement, whichever it is, it doesn't look as though anyone has cause to be particularly happy, but can anyone explain why I'm wrong,(if I am!)

8. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

I am not suggesting any line is overcharging, but it does show the problem now in this current economic climate.
    Long lines of course will tend to have higher costs, so fares are going to have to be higher. Any spend on a Heritage Line (or mainline charters for that matter) will be discretionary and may be one of the first things to "be chopped". As fuel prices, (both domestic and vehicle) increase lines will run the risk of reduced numbers leading to the need to increase fares even more.
    I have no idea how my local line did over half term, but the town did not seem as busy this half term as I remember it pre Covid, perhaps not helped by differing weeks across the country.
    Also interesting that the diesel guys were complaining about the price of hotels, which have gone through the roof, for the Diesel Gala in Swanage.
    It may prove to be a very difficult year.

9. Another Yorkshireman

Another Yorkshireman Member Friend

To set the context of a fairly old post, there were many occasions when families or individuals came for the ride, then asked where they could do journey breaks, and ruled out Watchet because they had already been there. Personally, I find Cleeve Abbey at Washford a hidden gem, and of course a lot of EH members would get in free. But, according to Great Western, offering helpful advice to visitors who ask for it how to get there, giving them maps I have printed at home, timetables I have adapted to make them easier to read, makes me a 'grumpy bugger' does it? In what way does that make my face unfriendly? Pot calling the kettle black, methinks. I was, as it were, telling the horses who had asked where the water was, where they could find it, but in no way requiring them to drink if they chose not to. Perhaps Great Western would tell them to go read the poster outside the station because he could not be bothered to do the PR himself.

10. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Sounds to me its a damned if you do, Damned if you don't situation, you try your best, but to some your best isn't good enough, the public can be very fickle .
    Does the stations have leaflets of local attractions, that might help, if not prehaps thats one thing the Railway could think about, especially if they could be done in house, if it has it's own printers etc, of as part of the timetable guide, listing attractions, and best routes etc ,

Another Yorkshireman likes this.
  11. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Way you are going is it like they've hired 4079, 6024 is sticking around and Tyseley plan on doubling 5043 and 7029 to Minehead twice a week all summer long.

It's one loco that prob won't even see that much use in comparison to the other 'blue' locos, which have a greater water capacity.

12. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

Well Martin, it is arguable that railways should develop their own sites in order to encourage visitors to stay and to amuse themselves rather than than wander off to spend money elsewhere. Shops and refreshments can earn a deal of money.

Having to cope with Covid May well prove educational in terms of income generation.

13. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Easier to do in the middle of nowhere than when you do not have a town on your doorstep such as Minehead with a vast amount of options.

Paul42 likes this.
  14. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

No line should base its charges on its costs. The fares should be set at a level that maximises revenue, the costs should be kept as low as possible. If the fares don't cover the costs when set at a revenue-maximising level, they will cover the costs even less if they are raised beyond that and revenue is reduced. The WSR has a longer line, which means it can charge more per trip, as the passengers see that the cost per day, mile or moving minute is reasonable and compares well with other lines. What it can't do is charge more because it needs more. The sale price of nearly everything is based on what people are prepared to pay, not what it costs to produce.

MellishR, nanstallon and 35B like this.
  15. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Whilst I agree with the thrust of the post, I'd need some hard evidence the greater mileage of the WSR benefits from the same income, per bum, per mile as a line a third of it's length.

That last sentence is spot on and something it's very easy to forget.

35B likes this.
  16. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Well I suppose the railway could get in with a developer and build a large resturant and pub and shops on Minehead station,frontage, , with panoramic views of the station site and beyond, joking obviously, every railway is going to be feeling the pinch, even more so, because peoples incomes are about to be hit for six, with energy costs, cost of living rises, fuel costs going through the roof, it might even be worse than covid, because there will be no government money to off set losses , I hate to sound pesmistic, but its going to be this year, that some railways, if they have a bad year, may not open again in 2023.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2022
  17. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    To add to the fares statistics, the NYMR are charging £89 for 2 adults and 3 children from Pickering to Whitby and return. As they are booked seats there is no rover facility on these trains. Hop on hop off is available between Pickering and Grosmont for £67.50

Paulthehitch likes this.
  18. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

When, IMHO you are so wrong is to assert that a longer line can charge more per trip. It can't for most visitors are non enthusiasts who are likely only to be interested in the total cost and how it compares with other tourist attractions.

Poolbrook likes this.
  19. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

True up to a point - but it's also worth bearing in mind that perceived value for money will include assessment of the amount of time occupied by the journey. That, by the way, is not an invitation for longer runs - with the enhanced value for money will come more of a commitment to the day out.

20. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    The NYMR looks at what it costs the average family to visit its perceived competition. That's not other railways, more the local attractions vying to attract that family for their day out. For example, for a visit to Lightwater Valley, the family of 2 adults and 3 children would be set back £102.50 on an off peak day, more on peak days.