If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I agree.

So the two options are:

(1) Trains TODAY, and

(2) Trains NEXT running on Xth of Xxxber, or Saturday, or whatever,

NOT

(1) Trains TODAY, and

(2) NO TRAINS TODAY

Spitfire and johnofwessex like this.
  2. 62440

62440 New Member

No I do not currently volunteer

By way of balance: it was good to read on Steve Edge’s site about the award won by The Journal for “internal communications”. Congratulations to the team there.

ikcdab, Maunsell907, 34015 and 13 others like this.
  3. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

During all of the years of comments, unanswered queries, complaints and (possibly illegal) removal of cards can you point to an occasion on here when any comment on here ever said anything to the detriment of the volunteers and daily staff?
    This just seems to be another pretty poor attempt at trying to deflect criticism from where it is due - at the senior management.

Piggy, Fish Plate, MellishR and 3 others like this.
  4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

@Maunsell907 No other railway gets as much discussion as the WSR on here by what feels like light years , and those supporters don't seem to understand that the reason is the actions of the WSR

The lack of humility and laughable content spun from the "official and semi-official" channels seems to echo the worst of trump , johnson and putin. It is really quite embarassing . The imp wants to ask if the railway bussed them to Washford in as supporters as Putin did as his recent celebration ? but no doubt offence will swiftly be taken . Instead of recognising that the minehead sign with no trains today wasn't the smartest move and taken simple steps to improve the wording , you get the huff that once again people are on the WSR's back . You and I mean YOU and the other board members put us there

A railway is not an individuals or cabals fiefdom but the product of so many people whose contributions far exceed those of the board and until this board is gone we should not allow you to get away with the actions taken

5. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Not since the Snailbeach thread shuffled off, at any rate! :Meh:

Bluenosejohn, Matt37401 and 35B like this.
  6. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Mods...mods...he said the S word!!!!

5944, marshall5, Bluenosejohn and 2 others like this.
  7. Sidmouth

s********h ! I may start to refer to the W**t S*******t Railway

ghost and Bluenosejohn like this.
  8. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    Yawn!

9. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

The trouble though is every time someone points out something that the WSR has not gotten right, so up pops the defence for the company, something as simple as re wording an information board to be more helpful to the public seems to be taken as an personal attack, clearly there are some very thin skinned people about, personally, i would have not reacted, but quietly thought, maybe we have got this not quite right, and listened to advice, and if needed just changed the wording so its made clear to the public, who pay the bills don't forget, when trains actually run, and on what days, is it really such a major problem, but its indicative of the mind set of those in positions of power, that there can be no dissent, only praise is allowed, only the most blinkered will not see that criticism can be constructive, and a force for good, No body likes being told thats wrong, but the sensible amongst us will actually look at whats being remarked about and take on board what needs to be done,

10. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

That is all true, but in this case in particular, the post was very much "Look where you've cocked up now" rather than "You've done well overall, but this little matter could have been done better". There are many ways to convey criticism, but only a few of them are ever likely to receive a positive response and this wasn't one of those.

11. FrankC

FrankC Member

Martin

Whilst in this forum it is commonplace for the directors and senior staff of the WSR to be castigated for a minor error (leaving out a noticeboard that should have been removed), you do - despite being a moderator - sink to a new low with your insulting comparison. But what I find incredibly depressing is that you see fit to draw some kind of parallel between the intense suffering of tens of thousands of people under Putin, with the comparably essentially trivial activities in a corner of West Somerset. This shows a lack of judgment and proportion which is, frankly, breathtaking. Don't apologise to us - we're used to it - but I suggest you make some kind of personal private gesture for the people of Ukraine.

Frank Courtney

12. Sidmouth

Nerve hit and your response was as expected and remains why I will not set foot on the WSR until you and your ilk are gone

you also drew the wrong comparison . the clue was in the comment and was around how those mentioned spin any story to support their agenda irrespective of the actual situation but with no humility or understanding you go on the attack

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    Great Western likes this.
  13. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    @FrankC

I was for a number of years a WSR Annual Pass Holder along with my sons so one way and another spent much time & money on the line.

I want it to survive and thrive, but this year I have bought a Swanage Annual Pass instead.

Why? Apart from the fact that I am not even sure that its available I am far far from convinced that the line will survive or thrive.

I don't post on this thread that often at the moment as I see little point, there are serious questions that the supporters of the PLC management decline to address, so if you would be so good.

1. Washford. Fundamentally it raises two issues, firstly the way it was handled crystallised the doubts that many of us had about the way the PLC was being run, and 'brought the railway into disrepute' Secondly at a time when the line desperately needs money it has put off many potential donors. Certainly -and I didnt say anything, I was simply content to listen, I was surprised at the strength of 'Anti WSR' feeling that was expressed at my local Model Railway Society, none of whom are NP members to the best of my knowledge, as a result of the decision to evict the S&DRT, and the individual members wont be giving any money as a result.

Clearly if you could explain why the decision was handled the way it was and why the Trust had to go that would be a great help.

2. Secondly, and irrespective of the current condition of the infrastructure, the railway needs to spend more than it earns from fares. How does it propose to raise the money especially given that the way it is structured makes it less easy to apply to major funders such as The Lottery, and it cannot get Gift Aid. Again a solution has been provided in the form of the report 'Peaceful Somerset' but the PLC has declined to go down that route, despite the proposed structure being broadly similar to most other major preserved lines. Cost has been mentioned, but given that as a for example The Bluebell has reformed its structure recently.

Again, your comments please - or others who support the PLC will be welcome.

Finally, and looking at the issue of the Minehead Station A Board. My wife isnt interested in Railways, she doesnt even travel very well, but we have in recent years visited the Swanage, Mid Hants, North Norfolk, K&ESR, RH&DR, Ffestiniog, Tallylyn & WHR together with our children. Generally she enjoyed them all and was impressed by them all, but not the WSR, her comment was a lack of attention to detail, for example the abandoned planters on the platform at Minehead and the rather tatty condition of the rolling stock. While the offending A Board at Minehead isnt in itself a major issue, it is a symptom.

MellishR, green five, 35B and 5 others like this.
  14. granmaree

granmaree Member

If that had been my sole intention I would have done a screenshot of the board only instead of a link showing the whole video

15. FrankC

FrankC Member

John
    I am afraid I have found over several years that responding on NP to points like the ones you raise simply draws forth a range of comments from those who seem predisposed to see the worst of the WSR. If you care to PM me your email address, I am happy to respond, though I doubt I am going to convince your wife!
    Frank

16. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

@FrankC. Pleased to see, above, that you are going to answer questions privately as that will avoid the multiple swipes that you anticipate will come your way by saying anything on Nat Pres.

Having said that, these are pretty fundamental questions - one of many, I guess - and I'm sure that @johnofwessex is not the only one who would like answers.

The fact that there seems to be no definitive explanation of the thinking behind such questions has nothing to do with satisfying a group of people - and it is a group rather than individuals - who have an interest in the WSR. It's much more to do with clarity of purpose and communication, all of which seem to be missing.

Faced with that, those who care will simply cease to care and take their allegiance elsewhere. Who loses as a result of that?

17. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I agree. The major battles seem to have been fought, and the victorious parties identified. It is now for them to show how they were right, and those of us who didn’t believe in them misjudged them.

There are worse fates than scathing criticism on NP, being ignored being one of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. 62440

62440 New Member

Or like TV - switch off or turn to another channel. If you look back, it’s noticeable that some people no longer post here.

6960 Raveningham Hall and 35B like this.
  19. Sidmouth

Again an interesting response @FrankC and one that in essence attacks the audience rather than showing some engagement and humility . Why do you think we are predisposed to see the worst ? Doesn't happen by magic and it is the effect of many causes which fall back at the boards feet

20. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    @FrankC PM me if you wish, I look forward to hear what you have to say.

I have had a number of private conversations with those on both sides of the debate, and must thank them for what they have said. As those conversations were private I have kept them that way, however I believe that these issues need to be dealt with in public, so while I look forward to hearing from you, on this occasion I do not undertake to keep your comments private. If, however I put them in the pubic domain, I will do so in full.

flying scotsman123 and Sheff like this.