If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Perhaps, if the railway doesn't buy it, the council will change their mind on usage and turn it into housing for nimbys.

2. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Who does the income from the car park go to at the moment?

3. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

It’s a free car park.

4. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    WSR would be stuck at Bishops Lydeard if it didn't exist and it could do with being a bit bigger too

5. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

If its sold with restrictions to its use, what value is there in acquiring the site,? However, if the restrictions were not applicable, then if it could in part be used to improve workshop space at BL, along with other revenue creating uses, such as a shop, or cafe, that could operate outside of the railway opening hours, then i can see it may be a good purchase, but if it has to remain a free car park, earning nothing, but costing money to keep it in good shape, it does not make financial sence.

6. Snifter

Snifter Well-Known Member

"Somerset West and Taunton Council is considering the sale, arguing the offer is above market value and therefore "good value for taxpayers".

"The offer is being considered and would be subject to a restriction on use to a public car park and public conveniences."

Mmmmh, paying over the book price for something that would have to remain as it currently is, does not make immediate sense unless there are plans to start charging. Anyone with a spare field within walking distance could charge a few quid less and mop up the business. I do hope the totally insane idea of a multi-storey car park has not been resurrected.

7. 61624

Does it say anywhere that it has to remain a free car park? If not it would probably provide a return on the investment quite quickly.

8. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    Quite. Those who travel from the seaside end of the line have to pay to park in the car park adjacent to Minehead station (although there is very limited free on-street parking nearby).
    I don’t see why passengers travelling from Bishops Lydeard shouldn’t be invited to pay to park there.

9. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Exactly. Even a couple of quid per car would be a nice little bit of extra income. Just so long as the income exceeds the outgoings - cost of maintenance, cleaning of toilets, etc.

10. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

No but it states " If the sale went ahead, charges on the car park would only be permitted if the proceeds went to "charitable or community purposes".

11. 61624

I would have thought that the WSR would qualify as a community project, even more so if it has announced and is actively working towards converting to a registered charity.

MattA, 35B and 6960 Raveningham Hall like this.
  12. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

And it would also give the railway control over the main arrival point for visitors.

Given past history of peoples views property on the railway, I do however hope that the restrictions on use are clear and easily enforceable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Downline

Downline New Member

I imagine that if you decided to turn said carpark into a pay and display, you will either detract visitors from actually stopping and using the train, or you will upset all the local businesses and residents of Bishops Lydeard when all the railways visitors end up parking nearby. I doubt any are really a good option for the railway in the long term.

I recall residents getting quite upset on other social media outlets during some galas and the Flying Scotsman visit with railway visitors parking outside of the nominated carpark and parking fields.

Kje7812, black5, RailWest and 4 others like this.
  14. 61624

People nowadays have become conditioned to having to pay for parking unless the asking price is too high, so unless the WSR management gets greedy I think it is unlikely to be a problem under normal circumstances. The abnormal circumstances that have been described should have been considered anyway - is there scope for a temporary carpark at the turning triangle site, with a shuttle train service?

15. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I think that's somewhat optimistic. Setting aside the impact of charging for what was once free on repeat visitors (or those picking up on out of date publicity material), I don't expect to pay for visitor parking at an attraction in their own car park (NB - I am, like many heritage railway visitors, an NT and English Heritage member, where I get free parking as part of the package). And when I have had to pay for parking (e.g. at Pickering station car park), especially when tight for time and with small children, paying for parking is one more niggle before being able to enjoy the day.

black5, The Dainton Banker and D7076 like this.
  16. oliversbest

oliversbest Member

..are there no buses? Let them pay to park bigly!

HR should be encouraging greener solutions to transport!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  17. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

At which point, the word 'Washford' comes to mind again :)

In a similar vein, I note from the latest WSRA Newsletter that they are looking at ways of making better use of their land at NF, so maybe a 'common approach' in the spirit of 'one railway' will emerge?

18. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

On a different note...

Hoping to attend the Vintage Fair in a few weeks. I understand the DMU is currently out of traffic so curious as to how the shuttles from BL might operate. Also interested if the usual brake van rides will operate with anything as I'm not sure any suitable steam loco currently on site.

Thanks in advance for any info.

19. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    The difference is when the car park is near to a town centre. A preserved railway does not want to provide free parking for visitors to the town. Not a problem at BL, and people expect free parking at a heritage railway site out in the country. Perhaps the answer is to charge for parking, but to refund this on purchase of a ticket to ride.

20. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I've feeling that doing this creates vat problems as the train ticket is vat free but the car parking charge is vat-able. I'm far from an expert in this field, though.