If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Colin Allcars

Colin Allcars Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Any update on that?

2. Windsor branch line

Windsor branch line New Member

Does any body know the fate of Dmu 51887 it was in Stone Sidings and was moved to the station End.

3. SebWelsh

SebWelsh New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    For those who don't check the Gala/Events section of the forum, we've announced two visiting engines so far for our Spring Gala this April.

The dates are between Friday 28th April and Bank Holiday Monday 1st May. Currently announced is 7812 Erlestoke Manor, making it's first visit away from the SVR following overhaul and staying until October. A rare opportunity to see and travel behind 3 Manors in steam together, only likely to happen at the Gala with no normal running days that demand 3 steam engines in passenger service this year.

Also joining 7812 is 2999 Lady of Legend making it's first visit to the WSR. Further announcements are to follow regarding visiting engines.

These will be joined by members of the home fleet, all working to an intensive timetable of expresses, stopping trains, local trains to Williton, Goods trains and more. Locos will be turned at each end of the line where possible to ensure they are smokebox first.

Hope to see as many of you there as possible. I'm always open to suggestions for what you'd like to see so please feel free to make some if you like.

Tickets are available at advanced discount at the link below - https://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/events/detail/spring-steam-spectacular-2

4. WesternRegionHampshireman

WesternRegionHampshireman Well-Known Member

Have already booked the hotel, all goes well, I shall be there.
    Best way to spend the bank holiday, me thinks.

Also, I did note a little FaceAche discussion about the Saint as it used to be a Hall, people have been saying whether it is a good idea or not to get it because of the weight restrictions?

5. SebWelsh

SebWelsh New Member

We'd be pretty daft not to have checked that it would be permitted to run under the weight restriction before announcing! Thanks to @Aberdare's hammerblow calculations, permission from the board was granted and the slightly higher axle load will not be an issue for 2999. It should be noted that the actual axle load of 2999 is a mere 0.39 metric tonnes above the previous limit.

Furthermore, it is looking positive that further 'red route' engines will be permitted on a case by case basis in the future.

6. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be surprised to see all 3 Manors out when at least one of the RTC/Vintage Train trips come to town? Might be down to the chance rather than by design though.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  7. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
  8. brennan

brennan Member

[​IMG]

The current problem site is well away from the railway but shows that the geology of the coastline in this area has little resistance to erosion by the sea and the closure of the road is a sign of things to come. At Blue Anchor the pub is teetering on the edge and not far down the road is the WSR. With global warming and the consequent rise in sea levels the railway may be either getting some more stone traffic in the future or a foreshortened line that ends at Watchet!

9. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

If the line is shortened, it won't be the geology but the sea levels that do it. Staying in Watchet in the mid-1990s, Cleeve Hill was already close to the cliffs - and accompanying a geology student mapping the beach there, you didn't go near the cliffs.

10. Aberdare

Aberdare New Member

Tender T2061 for Odney Manor.

The end is getting closer! Current working parties are focusing on the numerous lesser but fiddly jobs now that the main tank assembly is completed and riveted down to the frames. This is the fun bit when numerous parts which have lain on shelves in the container for some years, all newly made and painted up, get taken out and bolted on. The down side is as more gets bolted on it highlights some items which have been forgotten about and some which had been put in abeyance because they were original parts and needed significant repair or replacement. These are now having to get to the action stage, being brake gear linkage parts and sundry pipe fittings.

With most of the tank external work now completed it's over to the painters to work their magic, I'm excused due to being considered incompetent with a paint brush. (I'm not going to argue.)

Some parts including the refurbished wheelsets and axle boxes were removed from the frames of T2061 3 years ago to keep Odney Manor's existing tender operating, so these will need swapping back at some stage during the 2023 season before T2061 can be used in service.

Below are a few photographs taken yesterday, most are self explanatory, all are © Paul Orrells and my thanks to him for making them available.

Andy.

Getting ready for some green paint.
    IMG_5957.JPG

Front foot plating still to be fitted.
    IMG_5951.JPG

Water level indicator, Driver's side tool box, and scoop operating column.
    IMG_5901.JPG

Fireman's side tool box, sand box and hand brake column.
    IMG_5899.JPG

The new water strainer with it's 3000 laser cut holes.
    IMG_5926.JPG

11. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    The line from Watchet to Blue Anchor does not run close to the coast but passes through
    Washford, itself some distance from the cliffs, and then on to Blue Anchor. The buildings at Blue Anchor that are under threat are quite a distance from the Railway.

I think a far greater threat exists on the other side of Watchet, where the line to Doniford Halt is perilously close to the eroding cliffs.

RailWest, acorb, Paul42 and 2 others like this.
  12. JBTEvans

What/whose tender is behind 7828 currently?

Bit confused when it comes to the WSR and tenders! 9351 ran with a different one from 2004 to approx 2008 to what it has had since, is this what is now behind 7828? What happens to the current tender once T2061 is behind Odney? Who owns what?

Many thanks

13. brennan

brennan Member

Police have detained three people on suspicion of vandalising several West Somerset Railway (WSR) heritage rail vehicles in the sidings at Minehead station on Sunday 26 February.

In the late afternoon, a small number of people entered the sidings and damaged several vehicles, which included WSR’s operating Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU). The DMU sustained damage including broken windows and damage to the interior.

The DMU had been made ready for operation at the start of WSR’s operating season at the end of March. WSR has examined the damage in detail, and is confident that it can repair it for the start of the operating season. The season closes in October.

Freight wagons also had locks broken, and coach doors were damaged.

A local resident noticed what was happening and called the police, who attended the scene and apprehended and detained three people.

goldfish and johnofwessex like this.
  14. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

IIRC, 9351 originally used the 3500g tender that 7828 had used in its first period in operation. 9351 then got its own 3000g tender following overhaul.

However I also seem to remember 7828’s 3500g tender was in poor condition, didn’t it have the ex Ken Ryder Collet 4000g for a while in the last few years because of this or have I imagined that?

15. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

Looking at the Seaward Way webcam, it appears to be still there under its tarpaulin.

16. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

If a hangman is required to exact punishment, I*n believe there's a willing volunteer available at Swanage.......

17. JBTEvans

7828 ran with 7802/EMFs 4000g in Autumn 2021 while it's current one was being repaired.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  18. Paulthehitch

Paulthehitch Well-Known Member

Sadly, it shows how urgently carriage sheds are needed to protect vehicles against more things than weather.

ghost likes this.
  19. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Oh yeah of course!!! There was an ex Ken Ryder tender there though, not sure what happened with that.

20. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

The problem though Paul is if someone is determined to gain entry, they will, and imagine what kind of damage someone would do if they were not seen, and managed to gain entrance to Train story, by the time the alarm has been raised, your entire coaching stock could be damaged, imagine if someone were to try to set light to a coach, Not every railway can afford to have a coach shed and all the alarms, fire protection systems, that would almost certainly be required by their insurance company, at least someone saw them, and they were apprehended , lets hope the bench see fit to make examples of them,