If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    "Know what [we are] doing". Wasn't Kimi Raikkonen famous for saying that?

2. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Yes - but he went on the win that particular race if my memory serves me well!

The Green Howards likes this.
  3. granmaree

granmaree Member

May 11th news on the plc page shows the update that went out on the Association website April 22nd ....

Pete Thornhill likes this.
  4. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Yes I actually saw that as they also finally thought it might be worth mentioning on Facebook as well. The time is obviously measured differently in Somerset ;)

Matt37401 likes this.
  5. granmaree

granmaree Member

You could always give him a ring

6. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side

Send a telegram?

acorb and Jamessquared like this.
  7. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

WSR does well with their appeal for the Coombe Florey landslip according to a report in Rail Advent.

8. Greenway

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  9. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Greenway likes this.
  10. Greenway

well Devon and Cornwall are different ha!ha!

11. Bayard

Bayard Well-Known Member

Na, Cymru wrth gwrs!

12. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

I've just noticed on the Minehead webcam that the 96xx is hauling trains today. Pardon me if I've got this wrong, but I thought that it was a "red" loco, and therefore too heavy for the majority of the WSR. Does this indicate some improvements somewhere?

Steve B

13. FrankC

FrankC Member

We now have a system where each locomotive is individually assessed against the critical weight "pinch points" on the railway. The former GWR system was broad brush to make sure there was minimal chance of anyone making mistakes in route selection. With increased engineering understanding of impact, only 20 or so route miles and a very small number of locomotives, it has become possible to undertake a much more detailed weight/impact assessment. So far as we can there is however a process of continual track and bridge improvement.

JBTEvans likes this.
  14. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Many thanks, and good news that such a useful loco can be used - quite a surprise to see it this morning

Steve B

Greenway and FrankC like this.
  15. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

A more cynical viewpoint some people take is is "JJP owns 9466 so he found a way to make an exception"

Saint Austell and johnofwessex like this.
  16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I think that's a little churlish.

The old mainline companies, responsible for thousands of miles of route and thousands of locomotives, clearly needed a relatively easy-to-apply system to define which locos could go where. The different companies did that in different ways, the GWR for example having a series of coloured codes painted on the cab sides of each type. The objective was to assist rapid decision making: you'd know in five seconds that a red loco couldn't go on a yellow route, without having to waste any time agonising over a decision. (But equally if there was an absolute need, you could work out the restrictions that might apply to allow an exceptional move to occur).

For a heritage railway, the process is very different. Firstly, and most significantly, speeds are lower, which significantly reduces hammer blow. So in terms of dynamic load, what wouldn't be acceptable at 50mph becomes perfectly fine at 25mph. (And if need be, you can further restrict a loco, either in speed or in parts of the railway it can run. For example, on the Bluebell we are currently playing host to a Modified Hall; it comes with additional restrictions relative to, say, a similarly-sized BR Std 5, notably that it is limited to 5mph through platforms, and is prohibited entirely from passing between platforms 4 and 5 at Horsted Keynes. That sort of restriction is relatively easy to manage on a heritage railway without causing significant operational problems).

The other significant difference between pre-pre-preseveration and preservation practice is that the use of "foreign" locos is more widespread in heritage service. Those foreign locos wouldn't have GWR-style route classifications anyway, so in practical terms you pretty well have to make individual decisions about individual locos every time a new one visits the line. If you are doing that, it is hardly more onerous to look at a loco like a 94xx that has the possibility of being a long-term resident as it would be to look at an individual loco booked to arrive and depart on a visiting rail tour. Once you've made the decision, you don't need to keep re-making it unless something significant changes in your assessment of the standard of the infrastructure.

So in the current case, I don't see any reason not to believe the statement made by @FrankC, i.e. that locos are treated on an individual terms based on specific knowledge of the likely places of issue on the infrastructure.

Tom

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  17. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Not to mention that, under the regulations that railways now fall under, the decision to permit that locomotive to operate would need to be documented as within the rules - rules which @FrankC noted exist and have been applied to 9466. A locomotive owner or railway chairman would need to be very brave or foolhardy to go outside that documented assessment process, especially where the locomotive is widely known to be "heavy" for the line in question and the railway has been on the receiving end of ORR investigations.

MellishR likes this.
  18. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

The same logic would have been applied to allow 2999 to run at the recent gala, previously of course 6960 couldn't run on the line which is why it went to the SVR so it hasn't been applied to only one engine. Will be interesting to see if 4936 can operate when it's overhaul is completed.

Hampshire Unit and Greenway like this.
  19. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Tom is, of course, right and sensible as usual. In my BR days I was involved in moves of out-of-specification loads like transformers which had to specially assessed.

9466 may well be fine over Black Monkey Bridge (the line’s ‘ruling’ structure) but its the ‘optics’ of the thing which don’t seem to have been well handled.

Caesar’s wife and all that.

MellishR likes this.
  20. Saint Austell

Saint Austell New Member

You've hit the nail on the head there, like 50008 which was coming to the diesel gala, is the same weight as 47840 which was deemed too heavy and moved on loan to North York Moors railway.

Seems like they are playing fast and loose with what can and can't run.