If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Different owners

2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

There's "high up the overhaul queue" and "we have the money and capacity (people, workshop space, skills, ...) to overhaul it rapidly". They aren't necessarily the same thing!

Tom

acorb, Bluenosejohn, Paul42 and 4 others like this.
  3. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Surely they are the same thing - how else would anything get to the top of the queue? :)

4. Cuckoo Line

Cuckoo Line Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    By getting money donated/allocated that particular engine allows overhaul to proceed. I guess Tom is referring to group owned engines that have their own fund raising.

5. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Whether group-owned or railway owned I’d say ‘high in the overhaul queue’ is either meaningless or impossible if the resources aren’t there.

And ‘Low in the overhaul queue’ means precisely: “It’d be nice to get this one running again someday - but the resources aren’t there”

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  6. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes, which is rather my point. Enthusiasts seem quite fond of asserting the position of this or that loco in some hypothetical overhaul queue, but it is meaningless without the resources being available.

I’m not aware that 80064 came with much of a dowry, and one assumes that the WSR plc policy is “when a loco is available, we’ll pay a fee to hire it”. Which rather suggests that overhaul is therefore down to the WSRA to fund. How long has 4561 been under overhaul? Unless there is a step change in fundraising capacity, (or it is somehow in spectacularly good condition yet that fact was overlooked for 30 years …) I can’t see 80064 being ready to run any time soon.

Tom

7. brennan

brennan Member

Agreement on Washford between WSRHT & S&DRT

The West Somerset Railway Heritage Trust (WSRHT) and Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust (S&DRT) are delighted to confirm that they have finalised the agreement to purchase the S&DRT shed and track at Washford. In addition, the WSRHT has signed an agreement for a 10-year lease of the site from WSR PLC, both agreements being effective from 1st February 2024.

Mike Thompson, Chairman of the WSRHT commented, "I am really pleased that we have been able to reach an agreement with the S&DRT for the Washford assets. The agreement will benefit both the WSRHT with improved facilities and the S&DRT by providing funds to invest in their future activities. The deal was very complex to finalise owing to the need for simultaneous agreement between three parties, which of course required three sets of legal teams. I must especially thank Roger Hardingham, S&DRT Chairman, Joy Boswell, Finance Director of WSR PLC and Steve Williams, Vice Chairman of WSRHT, who between them had the tenacity to navigate an extremely complex set of articles in the final agreements".

Roger Hardingham, Chairman of the S&DRT said, "I am delighted to have completed the final arrangements at Washford which will allow the S&D Trust to embark on new ventures elsewhere along the original S&D route, and other locations, to keep the fascinating history of the Somerset & Dorset Railway alive".

The agreement will help secure proper covered facilities for the WSRHT Carriage Restoration team who until now have had to work largely in the open at Williton, where the Trust will now cease restoration activities.

The WSRHT plans to move most of its fleet of heritage carriages to Washford over the next 12 months, from their existing locations at Williton and Dunster. All future carriage restoration activities will then take place in the 3-track shed at Washford.

As part of the lease agreement, the WSRHT has agreed to adopt and operate all activities using the WSR PLC Safety Management System. It will also invest further in the Washford site, and will work with the PLC to support the sustainability of the heritage and historic nature of Washford station.

acorb and JBTEvans like this.
  8. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
    So this was the great master plan all along?? Take a well kept shed and additional attraction along the line, in sight of the station, and turn it into parking for yet to be restored coaches? It's not going to look pretty again for a good few years, based on the current rate of coach restoration.

Piggy likes this.
  9. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

deleted.

10. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Was there ever a real plan, the PLC had placed themselves in a position, whereby they couldnt be seen to back down, there might have been some active behind the scenes who did have a plan, and that plan was to engineer the removal of what they saw as an interloper, a non-GW entity, on what they thought should have been a GW themed railway, and of course a few words in someones ear, when he was told no, our rules don't let us give the PLC money, played into their hands, prehaps they always wanted Washford and the covered accomodation, it offered?

11. Snifter

Snifter Well-Known Member

Only a 10 year lease ? With the PDG dissolved by the plc without any consultation, who is going to own the freehold in 2034 ?

Fish Plate likes this.
  12. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Surely the PLC cannot dissolve the PDG unilaterally?
    It could withdraw from the PDG if it so wished, but it can't close it down when it is a collaboration with numerous other groups.

This could backfire on the PLC in the future.
    If the others keep the PDG going and the council did decide at some point to sell the freehold, then it is more likely to (under obligation to?) sell to one of the groups still engaged in the PDG...

13. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

Maybe undercover storage may quicken things up a bit?

Not sure what difference anything makes to sights if it's in a shed?

14. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

It's a 3 road shed that looks about 1 bogie coach long. So maximum of three coaches inside. I don't know how tight it is inside or if, to actually have any space to do work, even 3 might be too full? How many does the WSRHT heritage fleet count for these days? I know there are some coaches knocking around that aren't technically part of the plan.

If it enables the WSR to finally pick up the pace on some of their GWR stock then I think we ought to acknowledge that is a silver lining to this sorry affair. It'll be interesting to see how it develops in the next few years as they all look like major projects, with a no doubt dedicated but very small team. A full rake feels ambitious, maybe set sights on a 'local set' and look to move some on?

Miff and Matt37401 like this.
  15. shed basher

shed basher New Member

Don’t the PLC pay for extra space at Williston for these coaches? Moving them to Washford makes total sense to cut costs.

JBTEvans likes this.
  16. RailWest

RailWest Part of the furniture

Why would the PLC pay to house WSRHT stock? More likely surely that the WSRHT is paying the PLC to use land which the PLC in turn is leasing from elsewhere, so the PLC recovers its costs that way.

ikcdab likes this.
  17. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

The yard the carriages are in is owned by a third party AFAIK.

18. Keith Sims

Keith Sims Member

retired from volunteering
    Drove past Trible Bridge this afternoon. Caught a glimpse of the massive new wall being built. it looks like quite an operation even before the big job of completely relaying the the track. quite an operation to get done before the new season starts.

1472 and SebWelsh like this.
  19. SebWelsh

SebWelsh New Member

Latest update from us on the Gala front. I hope you all agree it is coming together nicely at present.

The planning work for the Spring Steam Spectacular (to be held between Friday 3rd May and Monday 6th May) is still continuing. Here's a reminder of what we have announced for the event so far. More information will be provided and this is not a full list of attractions yet - there will be more. Tickets are available to purchase at a discount in advance now.

Visiting Locomotives
    - LNER B1 4-6-0 no.61306 'Mayflower'
    - LNWR Coal Tank 0-6-2T no.1054
    - GWR 28XX 2-8-0 no.2807
    - GWR 66XX 0-6-2T no.6695
    - 5th Mystery Guest locomotive to still be announced

Home Fleet Locomotives
    - BR(W) 94XX 0-6-0 Pannier no.9466
    - BR(W) 78XX 4-6-0 no.7828 Odney Manor
    - WSR Mogul 2-6-0 no.9351

- 8 engines in steam each day
    - Busy timetables running from early morning into the evening each day
    - Later evening trains on the Saturday finishing around 10pm
    - Interesting double-headed workings
    - Some top and tail/banked trains
    - Goods Train in use with brakevan rides offered on some services
    - Shunting Demonstrations
    - Local passenger trains
    - Local demonstration parcels trains which you'll be able to travel on (Fri & Mon only)
    - Express/Semi-fast services
    - Running to Norton Fitzwarren
    - Locomotive turning at both ends of the line, as many trains as possible will run smokebox first
    - Various heritage displays along the line
    - Kids for a Quid deal (Sun & Mon only)

Further information regarding additional attractions will be announced closer to the time. I hope you agree we have quite the show for you this year, please book your tickets to attend at the link below.

https://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/events/view/spring-steam-spectacular

20. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

I'm in suspense waiting to see what the 5th visitor will be - your challenge is to find something I haven't seen before!

SebWelsh likes this.