If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That's an interesting choice, since the theme of the gala is 'Locos which have visited in the last 40 years' and, as far as I know, 2857 has never visited the WSR before! Is your source reliable?

2. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    I am a Life Member of the 2857 Society. The info came in a supplement to the latest issue of the 2857 Society Mag. I think it may be judged to be reliable.

3. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

You could stretch the theme if you think about it because it will of visited in the last 40 years just very recently ;)

4. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

I think I would agree with you!

5. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

Twenty five of companies fleet of 28 Mark 1s (some are actually WRSA owned) were in traffic when I was last there in June. Of the three not in use TSO 4419 was at Williton undergoing a protracted heavy overhaul, TSO 4660 was undergoing a heavy overhaul in the workshops and SK 25454 was awaiting its call to the workshop for heavy overhaul. I understand the target is to have twenty six available on peak days with one under heavy overhaul and one receiving repairs/maintenance. So the railway is not far off its goal, something which appeared pie in the sky before the workshops at Minehead became available. Not been in the Minehead (company) workshops for some years but I understand they are very well equipped with a team of company employees who know their carriages inside out and perform miracles. The Williton (WSRA) workshops have very little involvement with the companies fleet but perhaps if they did then the goal could be reached sooner. The Quantock Belle set and Taunton Saloon are not part of the day to day fleet and are much more of a WSRA responsibility.

With regard to the carriages in use most are as good as, if not better than, was the normal BR offering and I often hear complimentary comments about them from enthusiasts who travel on many heritage railways. OK, some of the carriages are now nearing the day when a heavy overhaul is due but these now tend to only see use on busy and gala days. Most of the paint work is faded to various degrees but to my mind that is authentic. In BR days carriages went many years without seeing a paint brush and a typical formation would contain carriages of various fading.

If the railways aim is to create the past then there has to be an element of 'in need of a paint'. I appreciate the point about CCT 94502 and accompanying van however to me this is just right. The network used to be littered with such vehicles in some form of internal user storage role that never saw a paint brush from one decade to another which were often very weathered.

My personal view is that the carriage fleet is improving year on year.

6. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    No I do not currently volunteer
    One thing that did strike me (favourably!) is that some vehicles have refurbished toilets.

Given that we expect much better facilities than was the case in the past (BR Era Heritage DMU Bogs anyone) its a good step in the right direction

Dennis John Brooks likes this.
  7. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    How did the Ivatt 2MT get on when it was at the March Gala?? I'd love to know

8. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

That the fleet is improving year on year is evident by the fact that there are now sufficient Mk1s that the DMU centre cars which were used as hauled stock until about 10 years ago have been disposed of, and 3 maroon Mk1 TSOs which were hired from Riviera Trains for a few years were returned a couple of years ago. The problem now is lack of storage space!

9. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

When coaches go in for heavy overhaul nowadays, it is usual for one toilet to be removed, thus reducing the amount of maintenance required in that department, and providing additional space for buggies, wheelchairs etc. However, it is unfortunate that there are a handful of coaches which are probably close to their overhaul dates which have both toilets out of use. The Ops Dept do try to make sure that there are sufficient toilets on each train, but with coaches at either end of a 20 mile railway, it's not always easy to get the right ones in the right place!

10. michaelh

It is all very well to make space for buggies etc ( which these days seem to be 4wd's} - but it is a mistake to delete toilets, given that they come top of the list on most trip advisor reviews of attractions.

11. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

As someone who actually has to deal with trying to find room for all the buggies on trains, I much prefer having one working toilet and buggy space than no working toilets and no extra space, or even one working/one non-working toilet and a waste of space!

Wenlock and flying scotsman123 like this.
  12. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Part of the furniture

Comfy chair occupant!
    The adapting of coaches to provide an area for wheelchair users so we don't have to sit in the guard's van is much appreciated. Pity the mainline stock does not make similar provision! I have been particularly impressed with how helpful the train staff are in assisting them as well. I hear that another coach with this facility is due to enter service soon.

West Somerset Wizard likes this.
  13. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

Darling I have to go down to the railway to help to paint some coaches/wagons to keep my hand in for doing painting for when I have time to do the painting you want me to do. ;):D

14. If memory serves me correctly TSO 4660 was the first WSR Mk1 to be fully reupholstered with the now standard blue seat coverings. The fact that this coach is again undergoing heavy overhaul is therefore something of a milestone.

25454 has been overtaken in the overhaul queue several times, probably because TSOs are considered rather more useful than SKs for everyday service.

4419 is long overdue for completion. When did it last carry passengers?

I wonder what the future role of ex-QB BCK W21174 Phoenix will be? I would very much like to see it put back in service, away from the Wizzer if necessary.

Barrie

15. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I've now got past the stage of pushing buggies around regularly, but even when I did, the loss of one loo (esp. in an mk1 TSO) and it's replacement with buggy space would have been an improvement. What matters with under 5s is that there is a loo nearby when the little darling says 'I need a wee'. My wife's dislike of the NYMR teaks is a lot to do with the lack of working loos on that set.

Now the kids are older, its just nice to have the loo in sight so I can tell one of the kids to go on his or her own.

16. michaelh

Not quite sure why you feel that those with buggies should take precedence over other passengers. Why can't the buggies go in the van?

17. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Part of the furniture

Comfy chair occupant!
    On busy trains the guard's van can be full with buggies. Many of them don't fold up or the owner's often don't fold them.

Ian Monkton likes this.
  18. The WSR has made (and continues to make) excellent progress with provision for those who must remain seated in wheelchairs. It is very much appreciated.

Our last trip on another heritage railway was a disaster. We were put in the van along with a sea of buggies and bikes which moved as one across the floor at each and every change of cant, trapping us against the side of the coach, the handlebars of the bikes actually sticking into us. Such was the quality of that trip, we are unlikely to travel again on that railway.

Steve

19. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

The above description does rather illustrate that the mixing of people with luggage is really not ideal. And by luggage I mean 'pushchairs' (that has a whole new meaning in 2015) and bikes. Creating a buggy space in each coach by removing a toilet seems quite sensible and the fact that a dedicated space for a wheelchair may lie empty isn't really the point. I guess the problem, that has to be handled on the main network as well, is the mix of all three. But seeing as children on heritage lines are an important part of the passenger profile, it does make sense to try and address that issue.

The other factor that I think is almost impossible to address is the public itself. They are used to a particular level of access on the main network and then turn up for a 'spur of the moment' trip on a heritage line thinking that exactly the same will be on offer, which it may not despite the Railway's best efforts.

20. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    Whilst I often see quite a lot of buggies/pushchairs on trains, I don't normally see, nor would I expect to see bikes on heritage railway trains. Most passengers seem to be making return journeys and would not need their bikes during the journey, whereas I see that buggy users would need to use them when breaking the journey at other stations.

Was this a special day for bikes, or is it a line which performs a genuine transport function as well as a nice steam train ride?