If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Oh I don't know, they run ex-BR Mark 2s in New Zealand on narrow gauge - behind steam now and again, as well ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Railways_Mark_2#/media/File:WAB_794_train_near_Woodville.jpg

Tom

Paul Kibbey and Ian Monkton like this.
  2. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

No, though if you can find a buckeye-equipped horse, I'm sure they would give it a go :eek:

Tom

Paul Kibbey and Ian Monkton like this.
  4. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Where do you connect the air brake(!?!) I am told elephants are better for that reason.

Wenlock likes this.
  5. Paul Kibbey

Paul Kibbey Well-Known Member

Retired
    My point was ,that the IOM Railway is a much smaller operation with their original rolling stock and with the infrastructure much larger network but then I think you knew that all along .

A steam engine smells a lot nicer than a hot horse , too organic .
    Paul . K.

6. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    I visited the Taunton Model Railway exhibit at BL on Thursday having just come off a firing turn on Raveningham Hall. (Well I'd showered and changed actually and was just mooching about until tea time.) What a super set of layouts which were both working when I was there. Made me feel quite nostalgic for the modelling that I gave up when the "prototype" got a grip on me over a decade ago. Well worth a visit if you've not been before and I shall certainly be visiting again soon.

7. From a Press Release from WSR Plc (with additional info from WSRA):

The West Somerset Railway is planning to hold a reunion lunch for original volunteers and staff who helped to reopen the line between Bishops Lydeard and Minehead during the years 1971 to 1979.

The reunion will take the form of a buffet lunch - kindly sponsored by the West Somerset Railway Association - in Beach Hotel opposite Minehead Railway Station on Saturday 3 October 2015 during the WSR's Autumn Steam Gala event which takes place over the four days 1 to 4 October and will feature at least six steam locomotives working an hourly service of trains over the twenty miles of track with plenty to see and do along the way.

West Somerset Railway General Manager Paul Conibeare commented "It is nearly forty years since the first train left Minehead for a round trip to Blue Anchor and back on Good Friday 1976 and we would like to welcome back those pioneers who worked from 1971 to 1979 to restore the line from Minehead stage by stage until trains began running to and from Bishops Lydeard in the latter year. Sadly of course age will have thinned the ranks of those early volunteers and staff but we would like to welcome those who wish to attend to be our guests. We will offer two day tickets to all of those who wish to attend so that they can also travel the line and in their mind's eye compare the current line with what is was like in the first decade of revival."

Any volunteers from the early era including members of support groups such as the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust and the Diesel and Electric Preservation Group who would like to attend should notify John Simms of the Railway's Commercial Department via john.com@wsrail.net or 01643 700382 by Monday 28 September 2015 so that arrangements can be made to welcome them.

Steve (tempted to go along!)

8. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Good to hear and a suitable gesture. Also pleased to see the co-operation involved. Surely a better way forward than going back over what who may have done to who etc.!

Steven

oddsocks likes this.
  9. Maunsell907

Maunsell907 Member

The co-operation twixt WSRA and Plc is to be applauded. I echo 'Beancounters' thoughts and yes Steve, you should go !
    From small acorns grand oaks grow.

Michael Rowe, a novice, barely 20 years a WSRA member and forever grateful to those whose efforts established the basis for our splendid Railway.

10. Thanks for the encouragement, Mike. I will be at the Railway that day (a rare visit for me these days) although I would never class myself as one of the true pioneers of the WSR as I started volunteering there in 1977 (I had cut my volunteering teeth in 1975 on the Swanage during the "Goltz days")

Steve

11. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    What a superb set of pictures (on Steves site) and a great reminder to all of us how our railway came back to life in the early days. Looking around today you realise the massive achievement and the steady improvements that have been made since those early pioneering days. No reason to rest on our laurels though, still much work to do, as there always will be.

Dennis John Brooks likes this.
  12. [​IMG]

A special chance to enjoy the Quantock Belle dining experience

The WSRA have announced this special offer. "Upgrade your ticket to travel on Sunday 30 August to a Quantock Belle dining experience for just £28 per person. Limited availability - two tables for four; four tables for two; and one table for three. To book call 01823 433856 and quote LSW offer. Offer ends at 5pm on Thursday 27 August. You must already have a ticket for travel eg rover ticket or pass."

Just spreadin' the word, folks ;-)

Steve

13. WSR Plc have issued an update: Owing to a misunderstanding the date quoted for the reunion meal for WSR volunteers from between 1971 and 1979 is incorrect. It will be held at the Beach Hotel on Thursday 1 October 2015 rather than Saturday 3 October. The food is being paid for by the West Somerset Railway Association and anyone connected with the railway in those early years who is interested in attending should contact John Simms via 01643 704996 or john.com@wsrail.net. Apologies for the confusion.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  14. desperado

desperado Member

Yesterday was my annual visit to the WSR for some class 33 mileage.

Yesterday was carefully chosen as the normal diesel turns are (at best) 1 round trip + a Williton (and sometimes just 1 round trip) whereas yesterday was 2 round trips like things used to be. Also the normal diesel turns are a pathetic load 3 & I hoped yesterday would be better - which it was - load 5. I'd hoped for a full length set though.

Most things went as expected. There was no attempt to make the driving interesting. OK some of it was a trainee driving which is fair enough but there's a reason why a lot of diesel enthusiasts don't bother with the WSR and many who do bother with it see a visit as something closer to a duty than a pleasure.

Things really went wrong at the end of the day. An ECS from BL to Minehead was booked to wait 45 minutes at Williton for the 1745 Minehead to BL. The signalman (signalling inspector?) at Williton let the ECS go so the 1745 Minehead had to wait for it at Blue Anchor. This made us about half an hour late. The railway ended up paying for taxis from BL for some people - 3 were waiting when we arrived and several people got lifts with friends.

I suppose I'll come back for a run with 33057 next year but I wouldn't be too disappointed if something came up and I didn't.

JP

15. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    Of course Williton would not have been able to send the ECS unless Blue Anchor accepted it. Ultimately the responsibility for regulation lies with the receiving signalman unless the WSR rule book differs substantially from normal practice.
    Are the section lengths really so long that moving the ECS caused half an hours delay?

16. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Part of the furniture

Comfy chair occupant!
    Surely it is the responsibility of the line controller who decides based on the orders for the day as amended by operational needs. In any case the timetable is not guaranteed.

17. desperado

desperado Member

All I can say is that the explanation given to the passengers by the guard credited the signalman at Williton with making the decision. The discussions among the train staff were consistent with this.

Can it ever be reasonable to delay the last passenger train of the day so an ECS can run early?

JP

18. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    If there is a line controller, then they would presumably have the oversight.

I am used to a line where one of the signalmen is designated controlling signalman. From what you heard from the guard, it sounds like the Williton signalman was the line controller that day.

My point was actually about who allowed the ECS to proceed, rather than who decided to allow it to go.

Normal rules of train regulation give priority to loaded passenger trains.

19. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    What would you suggest to make it 'interesting'?

Is that a suggestion that the line speed should be exceeded?

The Minehead signalman always acts as line controller, MUST be consulted before any such extreme regulating decisions are taken, and would normally give priority to keeping passenger trains on time. I do not know why this decision was taken yesterday, but believe that there would have been a good reason. Normal practice would be to make the reason plain to passengers, which appears not to have been done. I will see what I can discover tomorrow.

Robin

20. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    I have my invite to the event, as, like Steve, I was there in the (later) 1970's, but the moving of the lunch from Saturday to Thursday makes it less likely that I will be able to attend, as that is a business day. (Yes, there are some of us young enough to have volunteered in the 1970's who are not yet retired! :))

We have heard a lot about how the WSRA is not able to support the Railway generally. How is this meal sponsorship consistent with the present objects of the WSRA as defined by the Williams / Chidzey group?

kind regards

Robin White