If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    To answer Steve's question the other day about Tamping Check Rail curves.
    Yes the WSR does have access to an S+C Tamper.
    This is one in Robin's photo.
    I believe it does the rounds of a number of preserved lines.

2. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

For the unenlightened, what are the obstacles to reinstating the fourth track alongside the main line from Norton Fitzwarren to Taunton's bay platforms?

3. tracker

tracker Member

Retired IT manager
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well for a start, there is a "clutter" of cabinets and wiring strewn about the former trackbed (as I have seen from passing trains). NR may also have re-aligned the mainline tracks to encroach on the old trackbed.
    There are already 4 tracks passing Norton Fitzwarren, so I assume you mean a fifth. This would be my ideal solution, so as no crossing the mainlines is needed.
    Robin L.

1472 and Dennis John Brooks like this.
  4. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

5. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    This is also my understanding. There is a mass of signalling and fibre optic communications cable laid in what was the four foot of the original line. Additionally the running lines have been slewed so there is no longer clearance to re-instate the line without considerable expense that would be in 7 figures. Anybody who has seen pictures of charters arriving from the main line can't have missed the fact they have to cross over the existing formation from one side to the other. Steve's site has many pictures of this happening. So while it's entirely possible to get traffic on and off the WSR it's not easy. Arriving and departing trains often have to wait for a slot to open up. As I mentioned before if you are at Norton for any reason it's surprising how busy the network is already.

6. http://www.wsr.org.uk/cgi-bin/snap.cgi?h=Snapshot&p=2016/10/232

[​IMG]

Steve

7. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

What a pity.

I live in Bristol (along with 450,000 others) and Taunton's only half an hour away by train. But the faff of getting to Bishop's Lydeard on an unreliable bus (that doesn't connect with trains at either end) puts me off visiting the WSR regularly.

1472 likes this.
  8. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Is it unreliable? Not in my experience (half a dozen trips in last year or so). It leaves every 30 mins literally yards from the platform at Taunton and delivers you to within yards of the train at BL. The fact that it runs half-hourly surely makes it pretty unimportant that it connects (or doesnt) at either end.

Whilst obviously it would be good to get a train, with respect I don't call that a "faff".

9. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

As others have pointed out, the frequency of the service shouldn't be knocked! However the last time I used it (last year) the bus failed to appear at Bishop's Lydeard Station - a subsequent complaint to buses of Somerset revealed it had missed out the trip down the station entirely because it was already full.

But even if it runs well, the wait at Taunton, the stop-start grind out of Taunton, then the wait at Bishop's Lydeard adds considerable time to a day out. It would be so much easier just to change trains at Taunton!

The East Lancs Railway is half an hour from central Manchester by tram - and the WSR could be half an hour from central Bristol.....

1472 likes this.
  10. Colin Allcars

Colin Allcars Member

I live in Newport and always catch the train to Taunton and find a bus there, usually within 15 minutes. Piece of cake. Definitely not a faff. It not only takes me to BL but can also drop me off at Coombe Florey, Castle Hill or even Bicknoller.

11. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

I refer m'learned friend to my post above! "But even if it runs well, the wait at Taunton, the stop-start grind out of Taunton, then the wait at Bishop's Lydeard adds considerable time to a day out." It depends on your definition of faff, I suppose. But for me, it's frustrating that Norton Fitzwarren is less than 2 miles from Taunton Station but you still need to trek out to BL. So near yet so far!

12. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Everything's relative, of course. Compared to reinstating the MR Manchester-Derby route, or the LSWR Okehampton-Plymouth line for example, upgrading an existing branch line and re-signalling / realigning NF junction is not a particularly large project. Is it justified? That's a different matter... ;)

13. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

How come? Is one of them moving elsewhere? I would have thought if both are staying long term at the WSR (which I thought was the case) a double header would be a not uncommon gala occurrence

14. Well, the trek out to the WSR at Norton still includes much of the sticky traffic stuff and at about three and a quarter miles is rather more than two miles (by road). Whereas once the bus gets to Cross Keys (between Taunton and Norton) it's pretty easy going for the bus to Bishops Lydeard which is five and a quarter miles from Taunton Station. So time-wise I doubt there's too much in it. In any case, there are no facilities for passengers whatsoever at Norton (no car park, no public access) save an open platform that takes four coaches only.

Steve

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  15. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

53809 only came to the WSR for 2017 - it was never intended to be a long-term hire.

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  16. Colin Allcars

Colin Allcars Member

My definition of faff is sitting in traffic every morning and evening for the last 25 years because the motorway through my home town is not fit for purpose and that its much needed alternative is delayed because of tree huggers and newts.

After the faff of a bus to the station, the 40 min wait at BTM, walking 20 yards to the bus stop and negotiating the Taunton traffic (cf the above) is a breeze.

Bluenosejohn and mvpeters like this.
  17. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

Any idea where it's going next?

18. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

Fair enough...everything is relative.

I suppose we only hear from a select group of indivduals on this message board, but it's frustrating - and a bit surprising - that there seems to be no appetite for Taunton amongst the WSR chieftains. If Swanage can get back into Wareham, the Great Central can bridge the Midland Mainline, the NYMR can run into Whitby, and the North Norfolk can access Cromer, I find it odd that badly-placed signalling cables and the geometry of existing trackwork is enough to label Taunton "too difficult".

tracker and philw2 like this.
  19. Just a simple matter of several £millions needed...it's simple really.

Steve

jnc, Yorkshireman and mvpeters like this.
  20. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    It came for 2016 and stayed...

Robin