If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. peterbester

peterbester New Member

Warehouse Packer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Not all sets, just the sets containing the QB. From wsr.org.uk: Passengers who are wheelchair users and planning to use the trains during the Autumn Steam Gala (27 to 30 September 2018) might like to note there will be no wheelchair access on the set of coaches incorporating the Quantock Belle vehicles...
    • 9.05am from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead
    • 10.55am from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard
    • 1.45pm from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead
    • 3.40pm from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard
    • All other sets of coaches are accessible for wheelchair users during the Gala. Please check on the day to ensure there have been no changes to the coaching set roster.

Dennis John Brooks likes this.
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Part of the furniture

Comfy chair occupant!
    Still not acceptable that wheelchair users are denied access to the QB. Formal complaint made to WSR management.

3. Yorkshireman

Comfy chair occupant!
    On reflection wheelchair access is via the brake van. How can the set run without one. Also the QB has a disabled ramp of it’s own.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    j&mkeynes likes this.
  4. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Isn't it arguably illegal discrimination? - given that it would be hard to see how making the set wheelchair-accessible on this occasion is unreasonably difficult

Greenway and 35B like this.
  5. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Watchet up for a gong.

7F115EC5-8068-49FE-B817-57744BA4989D.jpeg

All of us who enjoyed the 40’s weekend will recognise how much effort Watchet as a community put into the event.

That was just part of what the Town Council have been doing and they have been nominated for an award, but it needs a few votes.

If you can, read the attached and then cast your vote for Watchet.

Robin

NALC PRESS RELEASE

25 SEPTEMBER 2018

Watchet Town Council (WTC) was announced as one of the three Star Council Awards finalists by the National Association of Local Councils (NALC) on 18 September 2018.

NALC's annual awards celebrate the positive impact local councils, councillors and county associations have on their communities, and the ultimate accolade for the sector.

Winners will be announced on 30 October as part of NALC’s Annual Conference.

The nomination describes how Watchet has been identified as one of the UK’s most deprived areas in employment and social mobility indices. WTC by working with local businesses, Community Interest Companies and supporting social enterprises such as the new East Quay Development where many jobs will be created, provides the link and voice to address these issues.

With principal authorities facing government cuts, WTC has taken on essential services such as youth service provision, grounds maintenance and public toilets, vital to residents and the tourist economy.

Having taken back ownership of the Memorial Ground and Community Centre, formerly the Youth Centre, and undertaken a refurbishment programme to widen its appeal to the community, bookings have increased by 300% in the last 18 months and enabled a programme of low-cost children’s activities throughout the summer.

Working with Onion Collective CIC who took over the ‘defunct’ Boat Museum building from West Somerset District Council (WSDC) and won grants for refurbishment, WTC helped enable a brand-new Visitor Centre and invested in a new disabled complaint Council Office which is more central and accessible to the town

WTC is a founder member of the Watchet Coastal Community Team (WCCT), a partnership comprising over 30 local organisations. In 2018 WCCT was awarded funding from the Big Lottery as one of only 20 partnerships countrywide in the first stage of ‘Place-Based Social Action’. This is a major achievement and aims to support communities to put social action at the heart of plans to make a positive difference in the local area.

Cllr Sue Baxter, chairman of NALC, said: “Each year the awards get bigger and the level of entries gets stronger. This year we were particularly pleased to see how local councils have engaged with their communities to make a positive impact. We received a record number of nominations this year and would like to congratulate this year's finalists and thank everyone for their entries.”

Councillor John Irven, chairman of WTC and Mayor of Watchet said “We were delighted to hear that we have been selected as one of this year’s finalists, which in itself is a great endorsement of our approach and the hard work that the council has been doing to engage with the community”

Find out more about the awards and how to vote

https://www.nalc.gov.uk/counciloftheyear

© NALC 2018

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    jnc, johnofwessex, snappertim and 2 others like this.
  6. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

As I understand it, this is due to there being a shortage of brake vans - the BG is out of service. Of course, there is a brake van in the QB set but as the luggage area is completely taken up with the generator there is no room to store wheelchairs let alone electric buggies.
    Here is the official statement from the QB booking page (for normal QB runs):
    Due to the historic design of our dining cars, with their narrow doors and gangways, it is NOT possible to accommodate wheelchairs at the tables. It is important to note that passengers with mobility issues will be required to climb up and down two steps to get into and out of the train and walk a short distance to their reserved seat.

convey small folded wheelchairs in the brake van but only if pre-booked, as space is limited.

7. As I understand it, the restriction as described on wsr.org.uk applies to anyone unable to transfer from wheelchair to seat travelling on this rake of coaches, not just those using the dining facilities. Hence the urgent need to alert folks to this issue over the weekend. I'm grateful to the Ops Dept for the alert.

Steve

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Re the Gala, does anyone have any insights into what 80072 will be doing trainwise? Looking at Friday in particular.

9. toplink

toplink New Member Friend

Signalman (retired)
    South Dorset & sometimes Somerset, now Spain
    On Friday 80072 is rostered on the goods deparing MD at 0820. Then passenger stock, 1100 BL, 1345 MD anf finally 1645 BL.
    These timings are subject to all the usual operation caveats.

Big Al likes this.
  10. Yorkshireman

Comfy chair occupant!
    The reply from Paul Conibeare says that the problem is that they cant use the Lorna Doone Coach due to a faulty wheel set. I have asked for further clarification about the brake van access.

11. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Now if Watchet can get on and come up with some of the things that they have why cant Minehead Town Council instead of supporting the MRLG?

A point worth making to them methinks

12. Yorkshireman

Comfy chair occupant!
    Sadly Minehead Town Council are a complete shower as has been reported at length in the West Somerset Free Press over the last few months. As well as supporting the MLRG they have not even been able to run themselves within the law resulting in meetings being abandoned.

13. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Well I can tell you that, on the Saturday of the diesel gala it was used on a train and went from Ltd to Crowcombe with the handbrake on, leaving it with a severe wheel flat and had to continue to Minehead at reduced speed and then the brake was replaced with a brake van on the rest of the days services

14. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

15. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
  16. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    I would suggest it's probably a different loco maintained by Ian Riley.
    Do a station report for Taunton and then have a look at UK Steam.

Cheers, Neil

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  17. 5944

I thought the plan was 60103 Theale to Taunton, then 61306/44871 and 60103 Taunton to Plymouth. Or has that changed?

18. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

Scotsman has to go somewhere while the first train returns to Theale behind a diesel.

19. 5944

Of course. Forgot it was two different tours that day.

20. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

25131F52-D4CF-409B-81B5-9A5822A320B5.jpeg View attachment 39053 Well that wasn’t in the timetable....... Braunton, 7F and standard 5 head back to BL after turning on the Norton Triangle at the end of today’s gala.