If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway - Removal of the PLC Chairman and related matters

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by rodders154, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Need large hands as there appears to be quite a few heads.

MellishR and Yorkshireman like this.
  2. Snifter

Snifter Well-Known Member

IIRC, Ian pledged that there would be no more secretive co-options. I guess that some individual(s) found that at odds with their ambitions.

3. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

My concern is that ambitions and principles are inextricably linked in this. To my mind, that makes this row all the more toxic, especially as this relates to the plc rather than the association. At least the X6 were obviously ego led.

It will be interesting to see whether - and I hope it does not - this affects the ability of volunteers to work together on day to day jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    reading the departure note of Rodney and Frank the WSRA gang seem to be against each other

@Robin Moira White @Paul Whitehouse This forum provided you a home for your endeavours to reform the WSRA and stop the fighting . Not to launch a longer struggle

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

With no knowledge (and imo that is probably an advantage) this all strikes me as though a countable number of individuals are determined to disrupt procedings until such a time as things align as they wish. And that alignment may possibly be linked to a previous arrangement of which they were part and is their preferred option.......for them. Alternative ideas or approaches will be resisted or disrupted.

And in answer to an earlier post that was suggesting that the WSR management saga is little worse than can happen in other set-ups, I remain doubtful about that one. The reason it is so public is simply because it all appears to be impossible to sort out privately. For example, I can't think of too many heritage railways that also have a 'parallel' website that seems intent on sniping at the main organisation.

6. Dennis John Brooks

Dennis John Brooks Member

Retired
    Barrie, not the same board members, but the same firm.

DJB.

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  7. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Just for clarification Martin, Greenway is my Forum name. My sig mentions my real first name.
    Rodney Greenway uses the Forum name Rodders154. I have no connection with the WSR. Had I known what the WSR thread would become back in 2008 I might have chosen another name.
    Actually I did point this out once before but that was a millions posts ago. :D

Sidmouth has amended his post, for which I say thanks.

Trident63 and 35B like this.
  8. Ron Sidewater

Ron Sidewater New Member

Dog Walker
    There are two non-public places where our 'washing' could be aired.

Firstly, there should have been a statement on the WSR Staff Services website detailing what has happened and why - I would have thought that would be the first place to disseminate information, or is there nobody in charge at Minehead to write and authorise it?

Additionally, there is (was?) a closed yahoo group, wsrvolunteers@yahoogroups.co.uk. I've checked it, and while it was active in 2012/13 there have been very few postings since then - I shall attempt to email the owner to see if it still exists and could be resurrected.

Wenlock likes this.
  9. Ian has made a personal statement (and asked me to link to it); and the WSR Plc Board have also issued a press release. See news page on wsr.org.uk

I'm sure the latter will appear on the Staff Website soon, but remember not all WSR people have a staff ID, so sometimes the message needs to go to a wider audience.

A personal view: I believe the proceedings of Plc Board meetings are conventionally confidential until an agreed statement is made public. There seems to be a considerable amount of 'leaking' today which is disappointing, although I quite understand folks being upset, as I am, at Ian's removal as Chairman.

Steve

Aberdare, Trident63, Snifter and 3 others like this.
  10. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Just as a technical note: Yahoo Groups has become rather unreliable in the past few months, and the last remaining Yahoo Group I am a member of has been trying to find a suitable alternative to migrate to, as it can no longer be relied upon to deliver all messages to all group members. I would recommend you also find an alternative.

11. Ron Sidewater

Ron Sidewater New Member

Dog Walker
    Sorry Steve, but in this case I don't see how this could be treated as confidential once Ian had published the statement on his blog.

12. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

apologies . Despite what many may think I don't live on the forum . Post corrected

Trident63 and Greenway like this.
  13. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Is it really the first day of April?

John

Trident63 and nine elms fan like this.
  14. Greenway

Thank you.

Trident63 likes this.
  15. Absolutely, Ron. I didn't make it clear I was referring to earlier postings by other folk.

Steve

16. Faol

Faol Member

Any port in a storm
    Well here you are good people of this forum. With many thanks to Steve from wsr.org.uk we have copies of Ian's statement and the PLC Board's statement and I invite you to spot the difference:

Wednesday, 22 August 2018
    Personal Statement from Ian Coleby.

Personal Statement by Ian Coleby.

Today my director colleagues have decided to remove me as chairman of the West Somerset Railway. This gives me great regret and sadness, not for myself but for the stability and reputation of the railway. I have been chairman since December 2017 and I have tried my best under very difficult circumstances to ensure our railway is successful. Sadly, those efforts have not been fully appreciated and I now join the ranks of past chairmen of the railway.

I would like to thank all those volunteers and staff on the railway who have supported me during my time as chairman. At the stations, in the offices, workshops and in the messrooms, I have always been greeted with smiles and a cup of tea. Thank you to all who work so hard and so fantastically for our railway, I appreciate your support.

Throughout my time as chairman, I have acted at all times to promote the principle of “one railway” where all the different groups on the line work closely together for its success. Teamwork really is the only way and the latest dispute, of which I am now a victim, can only harm the railway. It is incumbent on all of us to overcome our differences, put our personal feelings to the side and work together to ensure success. I support all the various organisations on the railway and I support their joint efforts to work together.

I explained at the AGM that the railway is in a very serious financial situation and some tough decisions need to be taken to get us back to stability. Our costs are far too high and we must grow the income side of the business. Above all else, taking those decisions and gaining financial security is critical. This need trumps everything else and is where we should be totally focused.

I do not intend to resign as a director and I remain on the board in support of my colleagues. I thank again all of those people, too many to mention, who have helped and supported me over the last 8 months and who continue to do so.

My AGM address can be read again here

Ian Coleby

and here is the PLC's Statement

Press Release
    The West Somerset Railway PLC Board met this morning, Thursday 23rd August, and it was agreed that Ian Coleby should stand down as Chairman. We recognise that Ian became Chairman in difficult circumstances and has dealt well with many of the conflicting pressures.
    The Railway is experiencing a particularly challenging time and the Board considered that it was now important to develop a new approach to the work of the Board.
    The Board has established a working group, which includes the task of identifying a new Chairman. Ian is remaining as a Director and we are very grateful for his contribution and effort since he was elected Chairman.
    Richard JC Maw Company Secretary WSR PLC

I will help you with the spot the difference, Ian clearly says he was removed and his statement indicates his sadness. The Company says it was agreed which is an entirely different story. What do politicians call it, SPIN. Is this what we can expect now from the PLC?
    Draw your own conclusions but for my money these junior directors should go and go now, Ian reinstated and the WSRA and WSSRT in concert manage until our Company is back under good governance. Telling untruths from day one is definitely not what we want from our Board. My shareholding is ready to fight for justice and freedom of speech; please join me and help rectify this travesty.

17. Maunsell907

Maunsell907 Member

Amongst the many speculative, some even vehement, postings in the last 24 hours this one may perhaps
    identify what has brought Mr Ian Coleby's position into doubt. Their actions (apparently according to the
    written material emanating from the WSRA under Mr Whitehouse's imprimatur) suggest a triumvirate
    involving them and Mr Coleby acting to pressurise/remove elected WSRA Trustees and PLC directors
    from office. If true, and it was without the knowledge of Plc Board Members, if Iwere such a Member I
    think I would find it very difficult to support such a Chairman. However it is the future of the PLC that
    matters

Other matters that have been raised in various Posts including:

Reference to junior Plc directors. There are no such titles. (indeed if it is a reference to time served
    probably something we should not consider). Several posts over the last few weeks have suggested
    the Railway needs new blood. One might for instance (as often happens with PLCs co-opt a new
    'Chair' , a new 'non exec' with special engineering responsibilities etc. The application of the
    soubriquet 'junior' I suggest would be unhelpful !

Others have suggested that the WSRA and the WSSRT 'take over' the Railway;

The WSRA ( leaving aside the Ms White/Mr Whitehouse consideration) according to its 2017
    accounts consumed c.£60K of the monies (available cash after all costs) that it generated from
    the Steam Fayre, Shop, sale of a Mark 1 FO on legal fees and propping up its Williton operation.
    Total grants to the 'Railway' were £300. The WSRA, with falling Membership is a seriously
    failing organisation. It certainly does not have the capacity at present to support the Plc in
    any meaningful way.
    WSSRT. A small charity ( the last numbers I saw suggested cash reserves of £20K) with a
    key Heritage role on the Railway. Recently secured a comparatively small, but significant
    HF funding. The charity is to be supported in every way, asking it to assume some
    responsibility for the PLC is unhelpful.

The PLC itself ( and here I declare an interest as I was in a minor way involved in examining
    the 2018 operating budget) has a very tight budget for 2018. It was prepared on the basis that
    there would be significant cost savings enabled early in the year. This AFAIK has not
    happened. The reason for the concern was simple. Over the last three years the cash reserves
    (maintained to see the Plc through the Winter months. The argument that the money should
    be better used ie to capital works, the winter months being covered by borrowings is irrelevant)
    have fallen from >£1 million to <£250K. (The likely consequences and conclusions are obvious)

I do not know if Mr Coleby is still Plc Chair or not. I have no personal feelings. He is as somebody
    has said a 'nice bloke' , he wrote a spledid history of the WSR, he was a signalman, he edits the
    WSRA magazine, he has been one of the WSR faithful. We have much to thank him for.

However he inherited if not a 'poison chalice' certainly a 'holed one' when he assumed the PLC
    Chair. He would be the first to admit I am sure he came to the role with little, if indeed any
    relevant experience. The metaphorical 'holes' have become larger. He has unfortunately
    allowed himself to be influenced by the White/Whitehouse axis. (Indeed there are
    persistent rumours that he, (Ian) has used the word 'black mail' !)

One final point on this subject ie Ian's putative departure as Chair was introduced to NP by
    Yorkshireman. Peter why ? Did the axis put you up to it ?

Whether Ian has gone or not, the Railway (and only the PLC can pull it out of the downward
    spiral) needs help. It also needs firm leadership. It's Board need support not denigrating.
    Who ever and when a new Chair emerges he need support, questioning yes, interference
    from other organisations no.

Michael Rowe

ps (30 minutes later) I was not aware of the posting by 'Faol' one minute preceding
    mine when I posted the above but I think some of the comments I made may be even more relevant now !

Triumph 2500S and Trident63 like this.
  18. Faol

Faol Member

Any port in a storm
    Amongst the many speculative, some even vehement, postings in the last 24 hours this one may perhaps
    identify what has brought Mr Coleby's position into doubt. Their actions (apparently according to the
    written material emanating from the WSRA under Mr Whitehouse's imprimatur) suggest a triumvirate
    involving them and Mr Coleby acting to pressurise/remove elected WSRA Trustees and PLC directors
    from office. If true, and it was without the knowledge of Plc Board Members, if Iwere such a Member I
    think I would find it very difficult to support such a Chairman. However it is the future of the PLC that
    matters

Other matters that have been raised in various Posts including:

Reference to junior Plc directors. There are no such titles. (indeed if it is a reference to time served
    probably something we should not consider). Several posts over the last few weeks have suggested
    the Railway needs new blood. One might for instance (as often happens with PLCs co-opt a new
    'Chair' , a new 'non exec' with special engineering responsibilities etc. The application of the
    soubriquet 'junior' I suggest would be unhelpful !

Others have suggested that the WSRA and the WSSRT 'take over' the Railway;

The WSRA ( leaving aside the Ms White/Mr Whitehouse consideration) according to its 2017
    accounts consumed c.£60K of the monies (available cash after all costs) that it generated from
    the Steam Fayre, Shop, sale of a Mark 1 FO on legal fees and propping up its Williton operation.
    Total grants to the 'Railway' were £300. The WSRA, with falling Membership is a seriously
    failing organisation. It certainly does not have the capacity at present to support the Plc in
    any meaningful way.
    WSSRT. A small charity ( the last numbers I saw suggested cash reserves of £20K) with a
    key Heritage role on the Railway. Recently secured a comparatively small, but significant
    HF funding. The charity is to be supported in every way, asking it to assume some
    responsibility for the PLC is unhelpful.

The PLC itself ( and here I declare an interest as I was in a minor way involved in examining
    the 2018 operating budget) has a very tight budget for 2018. It was prepared on the basis that
    there would be significant cost savings enabled early in the year. This AFAIK has not
    happened. The reason for the concern was simple. Over the last three years the cash reserves
    (maintained to see the Plc through the Winter months. The argument that the money should
    be better used ie to capital works, the winter months being covered by borrowings is irrelevant)
    have fallen from >£1 million to <£250K. (The likely consequences and conclusions are obvious)

I do not know if Mr Coleby is still Plc Chair or not. I have no personal feelings. He is as somebody
    has said a 'nice bloke' , he wrote a spledid history of the WSR, he was a signalman, he edits the
    WSRA magazine, he has been one of the WSR faithful. We have much to thank him for.

However he inherited if not a 'poison chalice' certainly a 'holed one' when he assumed the PLC
    Chair. He would be the first to admit I am sure he came to the role with little, if indeed any
    relevant experience. The metaphorical 'holes' have become larger. He has unfortunately
    allowed himself to be influenced by the White/Whitehouse axis. (Indeed there are
    persistent rumours that Ian has used the word 'black mail' !)

One final point on this subject ie Ian's putative departure as Chair was introduced to NP by
    Yorkshireman. Peter why ? Did the axis put you up to it ?

Whether Ian has gone or not, the Railway (and only the PLC can pull it out of the downward
    spiral) needs help. It also needs firm leadership. It's Board need support not denigrating.
    Who ever and when a new Chair emerges he need support, questioning yes, interference
    from other organisations no.

Michael Rowe[/QUOTE]

Thank you Michael one of your better smoke screens. Ladies and Gentlemen I would like to introduce Michael, a long standing TTI of the railway. For the last few years Michael has found lots and lots of tasks to do directed by his personal friend who just happens to be one of the junior (not been their long) directors. Michael often pops up with phenomenal knowledge of steam locomotives especially Southern Railway and I have never seen him bettered in this area. However, he has been indoctrinated by one particular junior director and has worked alongside him on some seriously and expensive projects. Thank you Michael but I think there is now sufficient evidence in the public sector for members of this forum to see what is really happening.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2018
    big.stu, nick813, Greenway and 2 others like this.
  19. Greenway

Michael, can you edit your post and remove my Forum name please. The Mods have already done it so I was surprised to see it arise again.
    I note Faol has now repeated it! :eek: This is more like the Daily Fail!

Trident63 likes this.
  20. Maunsell907

Maunsell907 Member

Done, many apologies, I simply replicated the previous.

Michael Rowe

Greenway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.