If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway Spring Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by pete12000, Mar 20, 2022.

1. steam_mad

steam_mad Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Loco is struggling to make sufficient steam with the spark arrestor that is currently fitted. SRPS member on route from Scotland to Somerset with a replacement which will hopefully improve things.

SebWelsh likes this.
  2. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    75069 just left Minehead 1 hour 40 down. Ran straight round, not using the turntable given the circumstances.

3. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Well, I'll see how things go tomorrow as I've booked tickets (WSR and national rail).

4. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

Have to say that today was a little disappointingfor me personally.
    Not the fault of the WSR of course, the lineup and planned timetable were good... It's just a shame steam locos are fickle beasts.
    Sitting at BL going nowhere for 90min severely ate into my time for exploring the line, so that in the end I only got hauled by two different locos and didn't get a chance to stop off at intermediate stations.
    Also would've liked to travel behind 419 and taken a train to NF, but neither were possible in the end.

Where I do think there is room for improvement was on communicating the changes of plan to passengers especially on board.
    Some passengers were taking the guard to task about this, having missed the double header, despite the fact nobody had told him anything either.

Hope all the issues can be resolved for tomorrow and the rest of the weekend goes smoothly.

Crawley Ben likes this.
  5. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    Yes, 419 had problems today, but the Railway did all they could by amending the timetable and performing some incredible turn arounds.
    I’ve spent all day on the trains and travelled end-to-end four times and honestly I’ve not heard any passengers grumbling.

SebWelsh likes this.
  6. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones then. As for 419, it was fine on the Spa Valley but the WSR is long and hilly. It seems as though the loco may not have been deployed with that in mind?

7. David likes trains

David likes trains Member

Were said passengers from the West Midlands? If so I may have been sat in the same carriage as you.

I enjoyed today, despite it being a bit frustrating for all involved. 419 did look to be having issues at the end of yesterday with the goods train to Minehead, maybe in hindsight it was not wise to send it out on its own this morning. Anyway I am here again tomorrow, so hope things go better.

8. SebWelsh

SebWelsh New Member

Incorrect

9. SebWelsh

SebWelsh New Member

When it arrived our staff fitted a makeshift spark arrestor which has severely affected the drafting. It was removed at BL today after the delayed arrival there. The loco ran on a test run down to Norton with the Goods which was successful, then ran the Goods Train back to Minehead successfully this evening.

I'd just like to say an incredible bit of enginemanship from the crew to keep her going as well as they could do.

ykin01, green five, 35B and 10 others like this.
  10. steam_mad

steam_mad Member

419 doesn't have a 'problem' nor does it have an issue with hills; she operates regularly with 5 coaches on grades of up to 1 in 58 at Bo'ness without issue. However, whilst on holiday, she has been fitted with a spark arrestor that has had a significant impact on the steaming ability of the loco at the request of the WSR. The SRPS representative has brought a different spark arrestor down from Bo'ness which is used as a last resort when tinder dry at Bo'ness so hopefully things might be somewhat better tomorrow.

Gather both representatives have been made very welcome at the WSR and - steaming issues aside - are having a good time; hope everyone else is too!

acorb, green five, 35B and 9 others like this.
  11. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

Out of curiosity, why has the WSR requested the fitting of a spark arrestor? Surely it hasn't been that dry for that long down in the Quantocks?

12. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    ( "Hearing rumours 419 may be pulled and class 33 substitute for it on Sat and Sunday.")

So the timetable for Saturday goes ahead as per printed, I can turn up at Dunster (we are staying there) and expect it on the booked train going South?

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  13. joe_issitt

joe_issitt New Member

Ex-Boiler Maker
    We made a small, makeshift spark arrester for it at the NNR. It had to have one as part of our light railway order. It didn't affect the steaming of the engine... some other gremlins did though!

14. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

That's a generous thing to do as Bo'ness to Somerset must be 400+ miles but it makes sense to use an arrestor that's custom built for the loco.

Hope Saturday goes well as the steam line up is a good one.

SebWelsh likes this.
  15. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Just talked to my dad who had a totally different take on it. Said lots unhappy, poor or no announcements and unimpressed at £38 for what worked in the end for only one return trip to Minehead. He has been there many times (he used to have a season ticket) and said it was his worst visit ever by a long way.
    I assume by four end to end trips you mean two round trips?
    Think he would have preferred to stay in Swanage and ride the diesels.

Saint Austell likes this.
  16. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

It's always going to be a bit subjective and depend on the luck of an individual passenger as well.

If I hadn't been subject to the constraints of buses and national rail, I could've started earlier /finished later and the delays would have had less overall impact on my day's activities.

Alternatively I might not have been unlucky, arriving at BL at just the wrong time.

At the end of the day, it was still a good day out, and at least it didn't rain! :)

17. 6960 Raveningham Hall

6960 Raveningham Hall Member Friend

Retired.
    Yes. And as for the suggestions that there was no communication with the passengers, I can only speak of my experiences.
    All day long we had TTI’s and Guards walking up and down the trains keeping us informed.
    I was very proud of the Railway yesterday, well done all.

SebWelsh likes this.
  18. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Thirty minutes down already. Thankfully we're sat on the Quantock Belle in comfort. Worth the premium for breakfast and the return tea and cake service though not impressed with people boarding the QB coaches with their packed lunch. No real effort from the crew of 2857, was hoping they'd want to make up time after Williton. Needs more coaches, they should put it on the mega train.

19. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I can remember 3822 on 19 coaches years ago. Same engine went on to pull 23 over the ELR a few months later (1993)

20. Crawley Ben

Crawley Ben New Member

Can I ask if someone knows what the red van is that’s been attached to one of the coaching sets please (& why it was attached)? I meant to ask one of the staff yesterday when I was at the railway , and totally forgot. Just curious more than anything else.

Many thanks :)

Ben