If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Whipsnade railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by jamesd, Dec 30, 2009.

1. jamesd

jamesd Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Does anybody know if it's possible to travel on the Great Whipsnade Railway without having to pay to enter the safari park? I fancy a trip on the line and would particularly like to see Superior but don't really want to pay £14.80 to get into the park.

Also, do they still have steam up events at Whipsnade? I know they did in the early 90's but the website doesn't give much info on the railway.

James

2. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

Hi James
    I'm almost certain you have to pay to get into the zoo, before you can ride the train.
    But remember - the 14 quid 80 does go towards the zoo's mission to support endangered animals. Even the staunchest steam fan must agree that saving animals from extinction is more important than a ride on a steam train (I'd hope!!) :)

3. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    90% of every species that ever existed on the planet is already extinct. To presume that mankind has the power to save them displays a rather tenuous grasp on reality. Given the choice between saving the polar bear and saving us, I vote 'us'.

4. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

What a very peculiar post.

But to answer the original question. No you cant do the railway without paying to get in the park.

5. Marquis DeCarabas

Marquis DeCarabas New Member

A cad, a thief, a dandy and almost immortal
    Polar bear meat tastes like rather chewy pork from memory.

Paying to get into the park seems a small price to pay for seeing the railway; and I think it is about £3 to go for a ride.

6. jamesd

jamesd Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for the replies. What about the steam up weekends, do they still happen?

7. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

8. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have visited a few times in recent years, and it is handy being only 15 minites up the road from home, but, as you say, frustratingly wholy part of the zoo and operated as a business so I can't just pop over to apease my steam withdrawal by volunteering. The Chief engineer I know tenuasly and those that run it are enthusiasts and also have envolvement in other steam operations. They even have a Facebook group if your despirate for pictures and occasional updates....for example...Excelsior is haveing some running gear work done at Keefs at the moment and Superior has just bee repainted and is running the festive week trains before winter shut down again.

Few pictures from 2009 here: http://www.chappers.fotopic.net/c1723863.html