If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Who would like 46233 to do 2015 WCME's

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Oct 22, 2014.

1. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

This has been mentioned in a few threads here on the forum within the last few days. How many people are for this to happen and can it happen? Please chime in.

2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I am sure that 6233 will be doing some if not all of the 2015 winter CMEs after her 'captivity' during the latter half of this year.

3. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    aw YES........

4. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

An opportunity for Sutherland to put in some Hamilton-esque S&C performances? o_O

5. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Variety is the spice of life....

6. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

RTC gave been quoted in SR as saying that 6233 will work some of the trips. An absolute must if so

Don

7. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

Count me in!

Peter on another grey afternoon in Manchester
    http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com/

PS Thanks to Don for his first regular steam performance article in Heritage Railway - now a monthly treat to look forward to!

green five likes this.
  8. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Glad you liked it. There will be a lot of variety

Don

9. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

I will add my thanks too. Very happy to see the article in the new issue. Look forward to reading this regularly.

10. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I agree. I hope RTC will issue a email advising loco allocations like last year.

11. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Totally support this - but seriously, who wouldn't want to see 6233 on most of the trains? It's a classic train for the duchess and with the Helm slack gone the Blue Riband for Appleby to Ais Gill might come under threat again. It would be good to know the loco rota in advance as WC must have to agree dates with loco owners soon. Hope the buy three get one free offer will be on again, but even if it's not the fare has been held again so doing all six won't break the bank.

andalfi1 likes this.
  12. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

The south side of Helm Tunnel (Breaks Hall) slack has gone, but the approach to the northern portal of the tunnel slack is still in place I believe. Also, when I was at Stockber the other week, I'm pretty sure it was going over Griseburn Viaduct that the Scot shut off for a short distance when hauling the Lune Rivers. I'm not sure if that's a new slack.

Saying that, it would still be great to see a big performance over the Blue Ribband stretch from 6233, slack or not.

13. RalphW

Isn't there a 5 mph slack on the S&C where the line passes over a small bridge that has a conveyor belt in it, I believe it carrys stone from quarry to processing plant. Can't remember exactly where it is but the restriction has been in place on the last three times I've been that way.

14. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

If Railway Herald is correct 46233 shall be doing the 1st 4 of the WCME 2's. 46115 would be my guess for the remaining tours.

15. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Lets hope for some performances in the 46229 class though due to the restrictions I don't suppose any time records will be broken. For me though the high points will be Grayrigg and Shap. Watch out for full description of the performances in one of my HR columns, though I wont keep repeating the CMEs as I plan a different theme each month. Doesnt take much guessing what the theme is for the next issue out next Thursday? Or does it?

gricerdon

16. Moylesy98

Moylesy98 Guest

It has been confirmed that 46233 will be working the 31st Jan, 7th & 28th Feb runs next year vice 46115 & 70013. The route will be out via Shap & rtn via S&C but it hasn't yet been confirmed where steam is going to be added or taken off the train. It does say on RTC's website that it is Carnforth where steam will be added and Farington Jcn where it will be taken off but it also says on Railway Herald & UK Steam that it will be added and then removed in the evening at Crewe. I Haven't yet decided if I am going to go on one of these runs as I am already booked on the 24th Jan train from Bolton/Man Vic with the 2 Jubilee's Galatea & Leander.

It's too bad though that the Duchess goes back to Crimson in the latter half of 2015 as I prefer her in BR Green as it looks more better with MK1 stock.

17. RalphW

Hopefully with the Duchess being based at Crewe it is logical that she will work from there.
    I understand that maybe the colour change will not be before the end of 2015.

18. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

But is it a pair of jubilees or a black 4-6-0 pairing as per owner of one the black 4-6-0s has suggested?
    I wish RTC would advise of updated motive power as I will book on 2 jubilees but not one and a black 5...

19. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

If it were 45690 + another Black 5 could you tell the difference ?, especially if they both had the 50's lion over wheel logo ? :p

Moylesy98 likes this.
  20. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

From the WCME page of the RTC website :

*On 31st January, 7th February and 28th February 2014, 46233 "Duchess of Sutherland" will be hauling our train.

** On 11th, 21st and 28th March, 46115 "Scots Guardsman" will be hauling our train.

I presume it is 11th April rather than 11th March.