If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Winter CMEs 2013

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by campainr, Oct 13, 2012.

1. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

No.9 crossing Docker Viaduct...
    Union of South Africa at Docker Viaduct | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

4. CALEDONIA

CALEDONIA New Member

Retired
    Good to see this series of trains well loaded, it shows there is still a market out there for trains over the Settle and Carlisle line in winter, really enjoyed watching No9 at Smardale on Saturday afternoon, the light was beautiful as she passed, that loco looks and sounds superb.

5. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

6. james1983

james1983 Member

Looking forward to our run behind number 9 on Saturday. Been watching a fair few vids from people on here and she's in find fettle since her overhaul, 6 of us joining at euston from work. By all accounts reading recent posts I'm going to have to find some obscure ales for the trip!

Ps. Some if not all the pictures posted on here are outstanding. Well done all. I'll never get to that quality even if I did own an SLR!

7. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

Thanks to all who have posted their videos and photos from last Saturday. It make the tour that much more enjoyable to be able to see lineside footage and photos. :thumb:

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Indeed seeing the video of 60009 crossing Whalley arches, around 60 minutes earlier, whilst we on the train were still sat at Lostock hall ...was cool.

9. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    How long before we get live feeds???

10. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    :tape: :grouphug: :typing: Soon......

11. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

With apologies for the delay ...

Pacifics over the fells 2 March 2013

Today two steam specials were headed to Carlisle via Shap and the Settle & Carlisle. I was booked on the Vintage Trains Cumbrian Guardsman, which became in all but name the Cumbrian Brit when David Smith's green giant was pulled and BR Standard Pacific No 70000 Britannia was hastily brought north to substitute.

No 47773 brought us down the WCML to Farington Junction then up into the hills to Hellifield, where it gave way to Britannia, its support coach making us load 11. In the bright spring sunshine it set off smartly, reaching 38 after Long Preston, only to be slowed for a long tsr through Settle Junction, with a minimum of 15 mph. She was well onto the 1 in 100 of the S&C proper before she could open up again, reaching 30 by Settle station, but not making any further impression until after Helwith Bridge, briefly reaching 37 before Horton. She slogged on up to Ribblehead in the low to middle thirties, a solid but not spectacular climb. On up to Blea Moor in the low thirties but the first real burst of speed came after leaving Rise Hill Tunnel and reaching 58 at Garsdale. We then had a lively run at (or about!) line speed of 60 mph down to the water stop at Appleby.

The running on to Carlisle was very lively, such that we reached the outskirts of Carlisle 18 minutes before our scheduled arrival in the station. During out layover we witnessed the departure of A4 Pacific No 60009 Union of South Africa on another of its series of Winter Cumbrian Mountain Expresses. It had come over Shap in the morning and was returning South over the S&C.

We started surely but slowly on our climb to Shap, reaching Wreay at 42, Plumpton at 52 and Penrith at 59 mph. We fell back to 35 at Thrimby but were back in the 40s by Shap station and breasted Shap Summit at 49. We then had a rollicking run down to Tebay and along the Lune Gorge before slowing to 58 over Grayrigg. Then the fireworks resumed and we were early again on the outskirts of Carnforth where today's steam adventure came to an end.

20 pictures are at Zenfolio | Peter Hewitt's Transport Pictures | Pacifics over the fells 2 March 2013

Peter, at the end of another lovely sunny day in Manchester
    Zenfolio | Peter Hewitt's Transport Pictures

12. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I really don't like seeing that this series is coming to a close for Calander Year 2013. 60009 has put in spectacular performances on soldout trains.

13. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Maybe runs on both days of the weekend next year would be beneficial... Especially as now all trains seem to be running full...

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Winter CME is a fantastic winner..

a. It covers a wide catchment area
    b. there is generally little else running on the mainline
    c. the "in-between" haulage has it's own general interest (i.e. its' not just a WCRC 37/47/57)
    d. the price is right
    e. the times are right
    roll on 2014.

15. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would expect the mod team to be buying more tickets next year, defiantly. Thanks all!

16. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    f. and the choice of loco gets better each year. Black 5 >> A4 >> ???

17. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

A Manir would continue that trend :p

18. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

Better late than never - below is some edited onboard footage of number 9's storming run on the 9th February. Hold on tight for Grayrigg at 54, Shap at 40 and Penrith at 75(ish).

[video=youtube;mwy9OCnoNw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwy9OCnoNw0[/video]

19. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Not sure i agree with 40mph at Shap, my ipad gps says different, though the accuracy meter wasn't 100% (and Ralph's different to mine but generally lower)..

Also a few other readings from the day, though the one over the ton wasnt 60009 :)

seems we shared the same coach on the train though.

See images

Attached Files:

20. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

I don't think we're talking about the same run - my footage is from 9th Feb.