If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Winter Cumbrian Mountain Expresses 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Britfoamer, Jan 7, 2014.

1. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    That has contributed to it, but I think having to rescale the photo for the NatPres ( and facebook ) limits and then adjusting the sharpness has brought out the fringing too much on the horizon. Teaches me to give it a check over before rushing! The full res version actually shows very little of it due to the lack of sharpening treatment needed.

2. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    The original full res version is on the website, some fringing can still be seen on the horizon but because no resizing has taken place ( which in the previous upload required sharpening after resize ), the fringing hasn't been made over prominent.

http://www.21stcenturyrailwaymen.co.uk/mrsteam.html

3. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer

4. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

A visual and aural treat yesterday as 46115 ended this splendid season of winter CME in consummate style. This observer has not seen the loco appear to perform better than yesterday. Greenholme caught me with a shutter speed setting too low such was the pace of climb. The soundtrack at Crosby Garrett reverberated round the hills for many minutes. Finally at Wilpshire, though the sun had dropped, the star shone bright with steam to spare the Scot flattened the bank.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Some talk that during the early months of 2015 the S&C will be largely unavailable due to engineering works so the now traditional CME will not be able to use the customary route. Alternatives may be in hand if course.

6. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Sounds plausible; thanks Ralph.

7. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nice video at Shap summit Stephen with Mr Hodgson well in hand with that slip, a super piece of enginemanship caught on camara with disaster avoided quickly and efficiently! SG looked spot on yesterday (even better than the previous weeks!) from the video's posted on here so far, must have been a real treat to have been on board yesterday.

Don't forget the chap allowing him to make it shift! Both crews yesterday seemed to be "on the job", anyone on board know who was doing the honours with Gordon Hodgson on the footplate and on the return?

8. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes it would be nice to have a name to put to the faces with the shovel, it seems that Gordon tended to do the northbound and Mick Kelly the south.

9. stevenjcrozier

stevenjcrozier New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
  10. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

I believe that is correct. Shap both ways?

An article about the CME on 22nd Feb plus log of the northbound run with 46115 is in the latest HR

Don

11. GBoreham

GBoreham Member

Of course there are plenty of other places in the north besides Carlisle. If the S&C is closed then perhaps RTC could run the tours to a different place along routes that have been very much deprived of steam in recent years. Buxton has only seen one steam hauled tour since November 2011, and that was yesterday. Such a tour could run with 86259 to Crewe then steam hauled Crewe-Earlestown-Manchester Vic-Denton-Stockport-Furness Vale-Buxton outbound and Buxton-Peak Forest-Hope Valley-Chesterfield-Derby-Crewe on the return, perhaps reversing the route for a couple of weeks too.