If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Wolzstyn 2013

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by 5944, Jan 21, 2013.

1. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yep, no steam today! B****cks!

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

oh Bad luck !
    I can't believe its 11 years since freight operation ended at Wolsztyn, I remember going there on an ordinary week day to find 6 in steam (or out and about) and a further 4 waiting their turn around the shed.. funnily enough ol49-59 and ol49-69 (the original one) were working then too amongst the other pt47, ty2 etc.

Indeed it was only 2007 when they used operation steam locomotives in steam to stable/shunt on rakes of coaches at the parade because they simply had too many locos on shed / in steam than they needed for the parade.

Wolsztyn is a bit of a sad place these days, though at least its guaranteed for a few more years, even if there's almost nothing left of it, and its all about the maximum revenue everyone can get from the pot.

Stunning photos though.

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Agreed excellent photos, it will be sad if it's the end for Wolsztyn but at least for those of us who were fairly regular visitors taking part in the 'Experience' in the last 13 years, it was an unforgettable time. Best part, driving off the branch onto the main Berlin - Warsaw line with an early morning commuter train, having a couple more stations to stop at, and giving the Ol49 or PT47 some welly leaving each station, then finally coming to a halt in a bay at Poznan having been on the regulator all the way, and getting shouted at, in Polish, if you were more than a couple of minutes late..:rolleyes:. Me late, never...... Remember, more remarkable since I had never driven a steam loco, apart from a gently chuff up the East Lancs, before I went there, then you are doing it on a main line,

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Just found this photo taken a few years back, there was a shortage of locos at Poznan to take the service forward, so the Ol was to be pressed into service to take the train as far as Frankfurt an der Oder.

PICT1212.jpg