If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WPR Locomotives

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Anthony Wiaczek, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Anthony Wiaczek

Anthony Wiaczek New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm looking to get some info on the current state of ex Wemyss Private Railway locos. Up here on FHR we have an affinity for these locos, considering some of our members remember them from childhood and our site was once part of the expansive WPR empire. This is all I know currently and any addition/update would be greatly appreciated!

WPR No.15: Austerity, bought by Andrew Goodman in 2003, currently in service at Avon I believe, known as "Earl David".
    WPR No.16: Austerity, ran on Lochty, bought by Max Maxwell in 1992 and moved to Brechin, currently in a siding at the Bridge of Dun, in state for around 10 years. Would love to know more about this one and if there are any plans for its future.
    WPR No.17: Barclay side tank, moved to Strathspey and named "Braeriach", fully operational until recently out of ticket early due to wasted crown stays. Again, any plans on being brought back into service?
    WPR No.20: Barclay side tank, bought by SRPS 1970, after the last 20 years in state it seems some attention is being paid and it is potentially in line for restoration, can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance!

2. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

No.15 is now out of ticket and recently arrived at the new start up Vale of Berkeley railway at sharpness presumably for overhaul.

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Looked pretty sad last year ... along with two bretheren and 46464 Angus-20140410-00816_resized.jpg

4. Anthony Wiaczek

A sad sight to see :( no plans for the future before it gets any worse? I'd do it myself if I could!

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Here's a couple of pictures of them in better times. A group of us went on an industrial bash near the end. Took a car on the sleeper to Stirling and then worked our way back south.
    P1070502.JPG P1070506.JPG

Martin Perry likes this.
  6. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    WPR 20 I believe was discussed by SRPS after their borrowing of 17. How far that still is down the queue I dont know but I had it in my head it was after the Austerities. The site says poor mechanical condition and cracked frames but ok boiler so maybe after No.1 is released to traffic. 17 will be out for a while. I dont believe theres any soon forming plans to bring her back but with 828 approaching a return to service, maybe. But the design was shown to being unsuitable for running at 25mph. It proved useful when it was in service but was tired by the time it came out of traffic.

7. Anthony Wiaczek

It would be good to have another WPR running, considering 15 and 17 are now out of ticket. We have a couple of guys on our site that can give the whole history of WPR company and the locos, walking libraries!

Our Barclay that's just been restored is to be in Wemyss Coal Company livery rather than the WPR chocolate brown.