If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR 2011 Autumn Gala 29 September - 2 October

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by The_Mighty_Kings, Jun 5, 2011.

1. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Had it a few times on GCR goes well enough but we will see how it copes with gradients.

2. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It gobbled Swanage's up, which may not be as long as WSR but it was still an impressive piece of kit.

3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I don't understand why a loco designed to get through Gas Works Tunnel and other gradients on the GNR had problems with the GC's very flat railway, but there you are. Provided that the WSR don't overload it (as they did City of Truro on its visit) the engine will be fine. I'm really looking forward to the gala!

Regards

4. Steve1015

Steve1015 Member

What problems does it have at GCR. Seemed to cope rather well last weekend on an intensive timetable...

5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Had a couple of runs behind it on the SVR and was very impressed. It coped very well with the teak set and had a good turn of speed.

6. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

The N2 didnt seem to struggle with 7 Gresleys on the SVR. But lets not forget that in steam days these locos could have been seen on 2 quint-art sets coming round hotel curve and up and away through gas works.

Now I am only speculating, since 5029 has pulled out of the SVR gala but confirmed for the WSR event the following weekend. She is currently based either at Briz or Bishops lydeard. The logistics/ cost for the guys of the support crew to move from the south west up to the SVR then back in the space of 7-9 days.

7. A reminder of the (current?) line up that has been mustered for this event:

· GNR N2 0-6-2T no 1744
    · SR 4-6-2 no 34070 Manston
    · GWR 2-6-2T no 5542
    · GWR 4-6-0 no 5029 Nunney Castle
    · BR(W) 4-6-0 no 7828 Norton Manor
    · GWR 2-8-0 no 3850
    · BR(W) 2-6-2T no 4160
    · WSR 2-6-0 no 9351
    · SDJR 2-8-0 no 88

Other stuff going on includes:

· GWR 4-6-0 no 7828 Norton Manor back after overhaul
    · Intensive timetable
    · Autocoach no 178 on shuttle services between Minehead and Dunster on Thursday and Friday and between Bishops Lydeard and Norton Fitzwarren on Saturday and Sunday.
    · Early morning goods train will operate from Minehead and Bishops Lydeard on 29 and 30 September.

Further details at:
    http://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/section.php?xSec=34&xPage=1
    and
    http://www.wsr.org.uk/asg2011.htm

Steve

8. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I've just looked at the WSR website and the prices have gone up this year, although there is a discount if you book online. Also there are no multi-day tickets for seniors. The other info from the website is that delays are expected at M5 Jc 25 ie the junction for Taunton. Perhaps it's better to use Jc 24 and go via Bridgewater.

Regards

9. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    To update the above post, the slip roads at M5 J25 close from 1900 Saturdays to 0700 Mondays for the next 6 weeks in order that the surface of the roundabout can be replaced.

If you are travelling on the Thursday/Friday, the traffic has been fine on weekdays (I work in the Blackbrook business park by the Roundabout), but as half the roundabout is being closed off over the weekend as well as the slip roads I gather it will be a bit of a nightmare.

10. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    If you are coming from the north (passing Bristol) on the M5 then if you leave at J24 you can join the A38 towards Taunton. The road turns right where it meets the A361 and about half a mile later you branch right onto the A3259. This road rejoins the A358 the other side of the Obridge viaduct back onto the normal route to Bishops Lydeard following the Brown signs.

11. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    There are never multi-day tickets for seniors only one day ones,remember this is south of M4 divide!
    Avoid Jn 25 at weekends,last Sunday I drove from Yeovil to have a day on 70000.I know the back roads so was able to avoid the worst of the traffic jam but people at WSR told me although it was 0900 on a Sunday morning it took 45 mins longer than usual.Leaving Bishops Lydeard at 1730 I again used country lanes and when I got onto A358 the queue to get into Taunton was right back the other side of Thornfalcon traffic lights,about a mile longer than it was in the morning.

12. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    With regard to the N2s visit and its capabilities I think the main thing to bear in mind is how it aquitted itself at the NYMR.
    It was normally only loaded to 4 teaks whilst there and seem to manage that load ok but I understand heavier loads soon started to beat its boiler.

13. The_Mighty_Kings

The_Mighty_Kings Member

IT Senior Support Consultant
    Very nice young man - i like that!! good effort

14. *8A*

*8A* New Member

Yes that's excellent Steve - don't know if its possible but a little tooltip indicating the name of the location as you hover over the blue/red marker would be very useful.

15. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Just had a quick look at your test map Steve and it only took a moment or two to get used to how it worked and to move the map about to where you wanted to look which I felt was quite an important point. I do like the idea and the layout and look forward to seeing the finished product in due course - if it was possible to incorporate 8A's suggestion as well that would be another bonus. Looks to me to be a good'un! Dick

16. Looks like the N2 is booked to run alone with seven on, except on Sat when it double-heads with "another guest loco" :))

Could be fun...

Steve

17. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
  18. 92143

92143 New Member

Retired
    Looks pretty good to me.

19. 92143

92143 New Member

Retired
    Although 34046 Braunton has been withdrawn from Traffic I expect most have noticed by now that she will be on display in steam at Washford for the duration of the Gala so some good shots of original and rebuilt Bullied's appearing to pass should be available especially if we manage to put a few good vehicles behind Brauntonto show she really is a mixed traffic engine as designed!!