If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR 2011 Autumn Gala 29 September - 2 October

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by The_Mighty_Kings, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Certainly could! Just seen that I'm booked on her Thursday. Looking forward to it.
    Also breakfast & dining facillities on certain services! Could they have been listening to critisism of past gala's!

2. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Not so, I bought a two day senior rover at BL for the 2011 SSG, I think for £28. I was advised by the booking clerk that it would be best to buy on line. If I did the same for this ASG it would cost me £47, ie twice the senior rover day rate of £23.50. Correction to this para after looking at my bank statements, two senior rovers and a WTT cost me £41.

I do think that the railways, not just the WSR, should have a care about their pricing; unemployment is rising, those in work are having to accept pay freezes, and pensioners - like myself - are finding that the 'official' indices of inflation do not reflect the actual rises in inflation as it affects them which is because those on lower incomes spend a greater proportion of that income on food, domestic power and petrol than those on the average income.

Regards

3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Is the railway going to do a test with seven? I would have thought that five was more like it! This isn't because I feel the engine is 'rubbish' or anything like that, it's just that it has a small boiler. 'City of Truro' stalled when it visited and this was due to it being overloaded, nobody wants a repetition of that incident.

Regards

4. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Be interesting to see how Jim gets on with her on Thursday - I will be keeping an eye out to see what happens?
    Are you with her all day Jim - might try and catch and word if in the right place at the right time!! DH

5. I guess the WSR wants as much cash as possible. I'm a senior and wouldn't dream of asking for discounts at any heritage railway. In fact I was offered a discount at the Swanage, not because of my age but because I was wearing a wsr.org.uk shirt. I declined because the Swanage needs every penny it can get, especially from enthusiasts like us who want (I assume) to see heritage railways thrive. I guess ticket prices always go up each year and not just at the WSR.

Steve

6. My recollection was it wasn't the load but the early morning drizzle that did for "Truro" that morning. I agree the same could happen to any other loco (I recall KE1 having problems a few years ago) and I would not expect the CME to agree to the overloading of any loco on the WSR.

That said, my earlier assumption was based on ops notices which suggest the rakes for the N2 will be seven. Like you I'm surprised. But then the Special Events Team do not like coaches to be removed/added during special events (although I note the restaurant car will be?!) so we'll have to watch what happens.

Steve

7. Nigel Clark

Nigel Clark Member Loco Owner

Network Rail Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Boiler pressure on the N2 is 160psi; not much margin but apparently (so I've been told by some of the Swanage crews) she will drop back to and then sit around 145/150 psi in second valve. In full first valve she stayed on the red line. Tank water capacity is 2000 gallons. I am also given to understand that she doesn't like a thick fire. You could have an interesting turn on Thursday Jim!

8. All guest locos and stock have arrived.

Steve

9. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    We wiped an oily rag over the N2 today (actually we gave it a wash before anybody panics). She looks good sat down on the seafront at Minehead with Braunton. More cleaning on Monday (having a day off tomorrow).

10. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Interesting! My 1955 Combined Volume gives the boiler pressure as 170lb. While I wouldn't want to contradict Nigel, can anyone say that Ian Allen were right in 1955?

Regards

11. DUKE71000

DUKE71000 Member

Any info on the DMU working from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard on the monday? I can see no info on the web or in the programme that came through the other day.

12. The Green Timetable http://wsr.org.uk/cgi-bin/tt.cgi?t=green2011 will be operating on Monday 3 October so several departures to choose from.

EDIT: Just noticed in the Ops Notice - there is a DMU dep Minehead at 9.30am, stopping to pick-up as required, arr Bishops Lydeard 10.55am. Hope this helps.

Steve

13. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Am on her just one run to MD Thurs afternoon, after swapping from Manston, not got the details in front of me. Any engine is alright when you get yoused to it, I expect the drivers on the Kings Cross suburbans would'nt have swapped them, & would have regarded any new engine as 'inferior'.
    Nice to have something a bit different.

14. DUKE71000

DUKE71000 Member

Cheers for that.

15. nickt

nickt Member

16. 92143

92143 New Member

Retired
    Braunton has now arrived at The Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust Museum at Washford Station for display in light steam throughout the Gala.

17. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Will it be doing any shunting or is it just going to stand there looking macho?

18. Jonno854

Jonno854 New Member

Land Manager
    Can anyone tell me what Manston's first train is on Sunday please? I'll buy a roster when I get there but I want to know what end to drive to and what time for!

Ta!

19. "The locomotive will be in light steam and may give shunting demonstrations with some of the Trust's own rolling stock in the yard."
    from http://www.sdrt.org.uk/news/article.php?article=103

Steve