If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR 2011 Autumn Gala 29 September - 2 October

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by The_Mighty_Kings, Jun 5, 2011.

11.00 from Minehead. Chimney first.

Steve

1. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

Is the shuttle bus operating from under the bridge at Taunon to Silk Mills and Bishops Lydeard throughout the gala do we know?

Thanks,

Paul

2. AMP

AMP Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    No free bus only the service bus 28.

I wish they had made slightly more of that fact BEFORE I bought my tickets for the weekend or I ceratinly would have thought twice.

Oh well up the railway really but more money spent on getting there = less more for me to spend when there + less desire to return

Andrew

3. No free bus for this Gala. Budget couldn't run to it. Always best to check though. I'm sure folks will understand.

Steve

4. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

That's a blow. I hope it doesn't create problems with overcrowding and people being left behind at busy times as I bet people will blame the railway if that happens.

Thanks for the confirmation anyway.

Paul

5. I suppose the Railway has a simple choice between having the N2 (or any other guest loco) at the Gala or providing free buses this time. I'm sure most people will plan their journeys by checking everything beforehand. And being left behind by another operator can hardly be blamed on the Railway so I hope anyone so treated will vent their anger at the other operator.

Steve

6. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Really enjoyed 1744 + 34070 today as well as an excellent "ploughman's" on the 13.00 MD-BL

The connecting bus at Taunton was the most crowded vehicle I have ever rode in Somerset but the driver squeezed everyone on albeit with a delay of 12mins. The S28 generally deps(M-F) at 17/47 from Taunton stn and 26/56 from B.L. (just before the MD train arrives)
    If you are paying for the bus(not on a free bus pass!) you may wish to ask at the bus stop if anyone wants to taxi-share.....

I felt very much a second class citizen using public transport today(which I use every day) as it seemed to take such a long time from arrival at Tauton to getting to BL. A less helpful bus driver would have left many enthusiasts behind.....

I understand the conflict with the WSR having to be careful over extra costs + bus hire getting much more expensive recently. Maybe I'll take my bike for the next gala or cadge a lift!! The gala was most enjoyable + the sound of 1744 leaving BL made it all worthwhile on a truly lovely day!!!
    I,for one,DID miss the shuttle bus though......!!

7. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Why should the WSR provide free transport from Taunton station? Most people accept responsibility for getting themselves to an event that they want to attend.

8. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Its become a feature over the last few years, appreciated by a lot of enthusiasts. A pity these things have to come down to money & the idea of providing a service, in the old fasioned sence goes out the window.
    Had my turn on Manston & 1744 today , both obviously different 7 both exellent engines in thier own ways. Manston, as all Bullied's are ,steamed like a witch & ran like a sewing machine. 1744 steamed as well once I'd got a bit used to it( take a bit of time with that fire hole door!) & ran well. but the main impression of the day was HOT!!!

9. donbenn2000

donbenn2000 New Member

Dont forget Webber Bus 18 every hour though it dosent go to either station and neesw a short wlak at eitehr end.

Don

10. donbenn2000

donbenn2000 New Member

I had a superb day linesiding yesterday and will be train bashing tomorrow with tickets bought a while back. Manston looked great and the only engine which seemed to be struggling was 7828 with cylinder drain cocks stuck open. Very surprised to see 34046 in steam at Washford. I didnt think it was ready. Was it standby?

Don

11. Glad you had a good time yesterday. 34046 has been taken out of service awaiting tyre changes only. Otherwise it is in working order. The visit to Washford is something "extra" for the Gala and hopefully an increase in visitors will help the Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust who are based there.

Steve

12. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    How about if the WSR did a small charge say £2? Its not free but cheaper than the First bus and would then at least pay for the bus to run.

13. 92143

92143 New Member

Retired
    Probably not doing any shunting as our point work at Washford is quite tight for a loco of this size. Yesterday (Thursday) she was running up and down the track nearest the
    WSR line to be in the best position for photographers especially as other trains passed. Braunton is available for Cab visits for visitors to the SDRT Museum during the Gala.

14. I'll pass on your suggestion but I reckon it would need hundreds and hundreds of passengers to cover the cost of bus hire. Past experience suggests that's not going to happen. What would be the top fare people would pay to ensure there was a bus link every twenty minutes for twelve days on each day? £5 £10? £15?

Steve

15. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    Hope everybody is enjoying themselves. Got home last night after 4 days of loco prep. Manston took some cleaning I can tell you! Luckily the Nunney Castle team sent their own crew which boosted our efforts a lot. You would not think that 5542 was due out for heavy overhaul on Monday next. It looks like it could do at least 5 more years.
    Right - off for a little lie down now!!

16. Further update:

Nos 88 and 5553 will take the place of Nunney Castle for the remainder of the Autumn Steam Gala.

Update from WSR Plc:

"Due to a lubrication pipe fracturing underneath the locomotive, GWR Castle No. 5029 'Nunney Castle' is currently withdrawn from Gala operation. Our engineers will be working on the vehicle to return it to traffic as soon as possible but at this stage it is unlikely to run on for the rest of today or Saturday 1st October. We will update you as soon as we have further news from the Support Crew who are currently working on the engine to get one of the stars for the gala back on track."

Steve

17. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Re buses: If the service bus is as crowded as reported above, could First be encouraged to put an extra vehicle (or two) on the route, if only between Taunton and BL, at the normal fares? It sounds like the timetable can't be maintained anyway so "go when ready". Given the congestion expected in Taunton this weekend with the M5 junction closure, here's a chance for the bus co. to boost it's revenue a bit and get some good publicity into the bargin.

I know of one operator in the North East that, when they learned that a party of 70+ was arriving at the local NR station to visit a nearby preserved line, laid on an "extra" to meet the NR train, and get them all back in time for their evening connection. It was a national company, smaller than First, and done on the initiative of the local depot manager.

18. JBTEvans

Sorry, I probably should have put 'it would get the WSR some of their money back'. Did the bus run back and forth all day? Is there any need? I'd imagine most people get to BL before noon and then head back after the 3.30 arrival?

19. JBTEvans

Can anybody tell me if is it possible to get to Horse Parks (by the BA distant signal, inland side of track) without a lineside pass? I've had a look at an OS map of the local area and see there is a path but it looks like its for farm access only. Has anybody walked down this to get a shot before?