If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR 2011 Autumn Gala 29 September - 2 October

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by The_Mighty_Kings, Jun 5, 2011.

There's no public footpath to that spot I'm afraid. The local farmer can be very touchy about people using his land.

BTW Thanks for comments re the buses.

Steve

1. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Maybe its one to do when I can get a lineside pass then. Thanks for the reply :)

2. JBTEvans

3. Looks very much like it was taken (with no significant zoom) whilst standing in the field :-(

A very good telephoto will deliver similar from Black Monkey (you'll need to clamber into the wide hedge/bank :) Hope this helps.

Steve

4. donbenn2000

donbenn2000 New Member

Bit of a blow that as 5029 is a big attrcation for us. Any idea which engine will be working the 9 am BL tomorrow?

Thanks

Don

5. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

Anyone know what went wrong wth 5553 near Crowcombe this afternoon, resulting in 9351 being sent from BL to perform a rescue?

6. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    was told it ran out of water near crowcombe 9351 was sent to rescue the train

7. Double Helix

Double Helix New Member

I do hope this is not to be an ill-fated gala, so far we have 6960 not finished in time for the gala, 34046 with slipped tyres, 5029 with a lubrication pipe fracture, 7828 with sticking drain cocks and 5553 running out of water, let’s hope all the gremlins have already shown themselves, i will be there bright and early for the 9am train tomorrow on what looks to be a lovely day, all be it a bit strange for October. :)

Helix

8. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't worry, the SVR ASG last weekend had all sorts of problems and it was probably one of the most packed for a good few years.
    I did think of the WSR while I was walking in Shropshire today and wondered how it was for you, it should be a nice weekend as well.

9. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
  10. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

Yes that's right, Next Monday the 10 year boiuler overhaul starts 9am sharp!.The bottom end was completed 5 years ago so we are not intending to do too much in that area, but if the tubes are generally as good as the one we took out a few weeks back it will be a shame to cut them all out, 'but such is life'. We plan for an 'Express turnaround on the boiler and expect to be back in action ready for the main season next year. '42 is now back at Bishops Lydeard ready to two days action on the Norton shuttles. Let's hope todays trials and tribulations are now firmly behind us. Looking forward to two sunny and busy days

John

11. KEYHAMTRAIN

KEYHAMTRAIN Member

12. skysearch

skysearch New Member

Because I travel by public transport and BL is over 5 miles from Taunton rail station - unlike Bodmin, SDR and SVR who are adjacent, or a few minutes walk from the mainline. Two of us went on Friday and had a great day, spending approx £50 each at WSR. We were going again today (Sunday) but as the 28 bus only runs every 2 hours we would have spent more time travelling to and fro the event than at the event itself so we havent gone. So WSR now has £100+ less in its coffers all due to the lack of a free bus.

Yes I wouldnt mind paying something towards it - the return fare on the 28 bus is £4.85. However, I thought WSR originally brought in the free bus to alleviate the parking problems at BL and showing its green credentials by also picking up at the Park and Ride at Silk Mills and encouraging people like me to leave the car at home and use public transport.

13. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Excellent weather yesterday, probably due to the attendance of 34070 ('Summer comes soonest in the south' and all that...), which was definitely the highlight of the day. Went on the 15:00 MD departure and it absolutely stormed Washford and Crowcombe Banks with minimal slipping. The sound was excellent, although I unfortunately had to cope with the usual ribbing associated with the pro-GWR Philistines in my party, as they were unwilling to see the error of their ways and kept referrring to the old girl as a Ford Sierra. I was surprised by the more appreciative comments from other members of the party, however.

14. Double Helix

Double Helix New Member

Well me and the other half had a very enjoyable day yesterday (Saturday), the sun was hot, the food was good, the staff were as friendly and helpful as always and the engines were in fine condition especially 7828 providing a very noticeable backing track on the 11:00 from Minehead while i was eating my full English in the restaurant coach which is a very welcomed return.

I would also like to thank all the staff for their hard work over this gala, especially the driver's and firemen as the heat must have been unbearable with the weather we are having as they all seemed to leap out of the cab at every and any opportunity.

As it was also the other half's first visit to the WSR and any big preserved railway she thoroughly enjoyed herself especially as 88 on the 9:00 from BL pulled out of Watchet powering up the bank, its performances like that which make me wish i could volunteer at the WSR but alas the lack of spare time is always the issue.

Thanks

Helix

15. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

On the Bullieds & tanks its bloody hot this weather I can tell you!
    What other things do you do D. H.

16. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Just got back, now I need to start editing film. I was most impressed with 'Manston' and 'Norton Manor' on the banks. A shame about 'Nunney Castle' doing a bearing in and 5542 running out of water of all things, but the prairie was in fine form on Sat and Sun, particularly at lunch time today on its double header up Crowcombe Bank.

An enjoyable event, but some of the timetabling, not to mention turntabling, was a little eccentric as ever. Will SEPT ever work out the turntable is not a toy, I wonder. Probably not.

Regards, and thanks for an enjoyable weekend.

PS: there were rumours about that some of the dates on next year's calendar are not accurate. Is this because of errors on the calendar or the dates for next year's events have been changed or both. I was advised not to book a B&B for any event next year until all dates are confirmed on the website. Can anyone reasonably senior comment?

17. JBTEvans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U-FC0_UpEs - here is my video from a very enjoyable day (Saturday). 7828 looks cracking, well done to everyone involved and to all the volunteers/staff at the gala. The breakfast on train Saturday morning was much appreicated, hope it returns in March!

18. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

The timetable must be, for punters, boring. A gala should be something different to a normal service, zippy, with things happening all the time.
    As for turning engines 360, the crews & everyone thinks its a joke! SEPT needs some new thinking, & if they cant, some new blood!

19. Double Helix

Double Helix New Member

Hi Jim,

Well apart from working all the hours under the sun in IT i am also a member of a local model engineering society but i try to get to preserved railways when i can, i try to make either the WSR spring or autumn steam gala at least once a year, got to have my fix :)

Helix