If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Wsr autumn steam gala 3-6 oct 2013

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by gwr4090, May 10, 2013.

1. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Exactly! QB breakfasts are well missed.

2. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Was that 9.00 from BL though? It certainly wouldn't have been that early when I had breakfast on arrival at the gala as I wouldn't have got to Taunton until 9.15.

3. maespoeth

maespoeth New Member

4. maespoeth

maespoeth New Member

On the locomotive front 7822 and the narrow gauge engine have arrived safely at Bishops Lydeard so all is in place ready for Thursday morning and the following days.

5. The_Mighty_Kings

The_Mighty_Kings Member

IT Senior Support Consultant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hoping to get there early enough Wednesday afternoon to see some of the afternoon runs on the normal tt. It looks like 4160 & 7828 running - any ideas of the facings during the day?

6. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    4160 is smokebox facing MD (i.e facing down direction at the moment) Unlikely it will change this week. no idea about 7828.

Re- breakfast - my understanding is that in the past the "enthusiasts" created too much wear and tear on the fabric of the dining train.

7. Not heard that one before! I'll put it on the list with "there was no demand for the service" and "only a sideshow".

Perhaps the sheer volume of dining passengers were wearing out the carpet. Table cloths can't have been the concern because we used brown Travellers Fare cloths (ex BR, came with the coach) rather than our posh white ones.

West Somerset Wizard likes this.
  8. peterbester

peterbester New Member

Warehouse Packer
    Does anyone know if the goods are open for travel, as last year, or not? I enquired at Minehead today, and the station staff were not sure

9. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Is that a comment from the plc?

10. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

So in other words the railways line is "our dining train, not for the likes of you!", not a very welcoming sentiment.

11. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    That is not what I said. During the peak season the dining train runs twice a week on average. Plenty of people ride on it and enjoy a comfortable service and well priced meal. The dining train is operated by the WSRA not the WSR.
    Perhaps there is something in what QB steward has said? Given he works the QB he's in the best position to comment. One thing is for sure, there is limited seating on the QB so if it's in the diagram passenger numbers on the service are restricted unless it's made part of a larger formation.
    The WSR is just as welcoming as any heritage railway in the UK. Nearly every volunteer staff member spends hours of their turn making sure our visitors have the best experience they can. So to suggest we are in some way snobbish or stand-offish is just silly. I'd be interested to know which line you volunteer on? I'd be happy to discuss this matter further with you by PM.

12. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    As at previous galas, is the railway intending to turn locos at each end of the line during the gala? <BJ>

13. JBTEvans

All trains apart from the last off BL Sunday are due to be chimney first.

14. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Thanks for the reply. <BJ>

15. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

16. Richard D

Richard D New Member

Retired
    Enjoyed a superb day at the Gala on Friday. Managed some trips behind all four Manors, the Castle plus 4160.
    The climb out of Watchet with 7827 on the 1145 ex BL was awesome as indeed was 7828 on the 1145 ex MD on the climb from
    Blue Anchor up to Washford. The Manors are ideal locos for lines such as the WSR.

Trains were busy but not so packed that you could not stand at a window. Have not been to the WSR for some time
    and I was very impressed with Minehead. The turntable area is a real attraction and the whole site was clean and tidy.

I also liked the footpath alongside the supermarket and the nice low hedge which meant photography was easy
    and nobody in your way with room for everyone.

At £21.50 for a senior day rover it was a bargain especially compared to c £100 for a main line steam run which is a
    lottery these days!

Weather was lovely in the afternoon, all staff pleasant and helpful and timekeeping spot on. I will not leave it
    so long before returning. Thank you all at the WSR.

17. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes, the WSR is a great railway. I've been going there since 1980, and never had any unpleasantness. Had to miss this gala because of family circumstances, but even on an 'ordinary' day, it is well worth a visit.

John

18. JBTEvans

My video from an enjoyable Saturday

19. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes indeed a great Gala on what is in my opinion the best preserved line. It has everything, heavy gradients, superb coastal scenery, the right engines and great phot spots, even if you have to do some walking to find the best. Yesterday we had runs behind all four Manors, the Hall and the Castle. Highlight of the day was 7822 on the 0900 from BL (Shrewsbury) which had the heaviest train of the day, 7 for 270 tons and slipped on the wet rails almost all the way up to Talerddig, taking over 16 minutes. Just after the start and again near Nornvis I didn't think we were going to make it and that 7827 which was on shed at Shrewsbury would be called on for banking assistance, true Talerddig style, but superb enginemanship got us to the top. A special mention for the nice cups of tea from the hard working Welsh ladies at Talerddig. Difficult to fault anything from a wonderful good value day out, except maybe one or two trains (0945 BL and 1155 Minehead) could have done with 8 rather than 6 coaches as they were very crowded with a fair number standing including non gricer locals and walkers.

I am now about to relive that climb with 7822 with my 5 minute video clip and try to imaging the big struggle on the footplate to keep the train going.

With thanks to everybody at the WSRly. Now do I really want to book on the Dartmouth Express at more than 4 times the cost and with half of it DL hauled anyway?

Don

20. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

Here's what I got from a very enjoyable day at the gala yesterday, certainly one of the highlights of the year!