If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR GWR175 Finale - 30 Sept / 1 - 3 October

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lil Bear, Aug 5, 2010.

1. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Autumn galas pull in the punters at what would normally be a quieter time of year. If a gala were to be held in July, August or September, additional revenue would be limited as the trains would be full of passengers in that period. Here we are now, the day after the gala and there isn't a cloud in the sky. Unfortunately, the organisers of an event, preserved railways or golf, will always have to gamble with the weather. <BJ>

2. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

What happened to 5542 then? She is one of the best of the 45's.

3. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with this, the hourly timetable is not 'intense' as the railway says it is, it is quite the opposite. Galas, as far as I'm aware, are meant to be different from normal running days in the sense of locomotives, amount of trains etc and in the timetable as well. I was disappointed that all trains stopped everywhere - a train blasting through Stogumber is a highlight! The hourly frequency probably isn't enough when trains do not stop everywhere so I guess this why limited stoppers have been pulled. I feel the ASG 09 had a cracking timetable (about 3 limited stoppers and a NF-MD non-stop), ok it ran late at points but no more than 10/15 minutes and I feel people can bare with this, that was a big improvement on the hour delays of previous galas. Bring something like last years ASG timetable back and the QB and WSR Galas will be the best they have ever been!

4. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    It is true that autumn galas 'pull in the punters at would normally be a quieter time of the year' as it is that 'organisers ... have to gamble on the weather', but, and this is the crucial point, there is no need to gamble at Minehead, there is at least ten years experience that shows that there are very few WSR galas, spring or autumn, which have not had at least one day washed out and many have had more than that. This year's autumn gala was very thinly attended, but the WSR paid out for four guest engines and I'm, as a WSRA member, left wondering just how long this state of affairs can continue. The WSR, quite rightly, prides itself that it puts on massive steam galas, but they cost, they cost lots, and the railway has to have lots of visitors to turn a profit.

There is lots of evidence that the customer base for the WSR steam galas is eroding. The owner of the B&B I normally stay at was complaining that she had vacancies, the carvery next to Minehead station was half empty and the Indian restuarant was almost completely deserted. There were fewer photographers around and the trains on Friday and Sunday were very sparsely patronised, particularly Friday.

I have spoken to a number of people while wandering around the preserved railways this summer and the WSR's galas have got a reputation. Not for being poor galas, but for being held at a time of poor weather. The NYMR's decision to compete last weekend is also a problem. It's ironic that they were hit by the same low that knackered the WSR this year but if the enthusiast base in the Midlands and the North think that the weather generally will be better at the NYMR then that is a problem for the WSR, because they will go to the NYMR and not the WSR.

In my experience, the British weather conforms, in a larger picture, to certain patterns. At particular times, even down to particular weekends, you can expect that the weather is more likely to be this or that. It isn't a certainty, not by any means, but it is more or less likely that it will rain etc. All I am suggesting here is that the WSR should look at its practice of holding its steam galas on the last weekend of March and the first weekend of October and perhaps move them to weekends when there is a greater probability that the weather will be better in the Bristol Channel area.

Regards

5. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Can I just point out to Orion that the NYMR Steam Gala has been either the first weekend in October or the weekend straddling the end of September/start of October since 1986. It was the WSR that chose to compete by moving their Gala back a couple of weeks (I seem to remember) from a mid-September date some years ago. Whilst there is an argument that the two lines are too far apart for this to matter, I would argue it can as both lines are comparatively remote and about the same distance from the main population centres as each other for those deciding which to attend. The WSR tenmdency to hire so many locos can make anyone else finding guest locos available a but difficult too!

Steven

6. cg

cg Well-Known Member

Weather on Sunday wasn't quite as appalling as the forecast shown on Wednesday and Thursday.

Some pics from the gala, but still to add some of the GWR engines.

http://michael527.fotopic.net/c1903814_1.html

Perhaps it might be worth looking at the risk of strong wind and rain combinations at the time of the autumn equinox.

7. DH34105

DH34105 Member

The weather on the WSR on Thursday was not bad at all and I had a most enjoyable day travelling. Trying to put Friday's weather into some context(when I travelled again), weather at home in Poole was far far worse from what friends and news reports say than it was on the WSR. It did rain hard at times but was not as bad as I feared. I do think that the weather forecasts dont help at times, making it out to be worse than it actually is, but they have an almost impossible job to be fair.

I am down in the area again this week and will see if I can find out about 5542 - I had a couple of trips with her last week and she seemed fine though with a blow on the right hand cylinder on the Friday. DH

8. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Thanks for the correction! I think the WSR's practice of hiring in three or four locos is only practical if they get lots of visitors from all over the country, simply because the WSR needs to pay the hiring fees. The weather and competition is a hindrance to this, I wonder why the WSR changed its dates!

Regards

9. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I have uploaded a film of the West Somerset Railway’s Autumn Steam Gala for 2010 to YouTube. The film lasts for 15 minutes and can be viewed in HD.

Locations are Friday at Minehead with large Prairie 4160 being watered and Castle 5029 ‘Nunney Castle being turned. Later 6024 ‘King Edward I’ is filmed at the head of the 17.00 departure from Minehead. The WSR’s Mogul 9351 was raising steam and small Prairie 5553 in the yard after disposal.
    On Saturday Prairie tanks 4160 and 5542 were seen at ‘Teddy Bear Crossing’ with 4953 ‘Pitchford Hall’ and 44767 ‘George Stephenson’ on Washford Bank at Watchet. A while later and the King is again filmed climbing the bank at Old Cleeve/Bilbrook. I changed location to Ker Moor after this and put the large Prairie and the Castle in the can. Later 5542 was captured at Blue Anchor, a sequence which includes the closing of the crossing gates. Crowcombe Heathfield is the next location with 4160 again. This same train is again seen at the recreation ground at Washford on the last few yards of the bank. Sunday morning was again very wet and 5542 was shot climbing the bank at Watchet in heavy rain but by the time 4160 came past the weather was brightening a little. The last sequence at this location features 9351, standing in for 5553, making a rousing climb towards Washford. The SDRT site at Washford is the next location with Fowler 7F 88 and Peckett ‘Kilmersdon’ shunting and 5542 on the branch. Back to Blue Anchor for the last sequences as 44767 arrives and departs. Filming was stopped at this point as it started to rain again!

The film can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ZZ8p3nFRU and I hope everyone enjoys it.

Regards

10. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Blown right hand piston rod packing on Saturday afternoon caused loss of power and high water consumption. It was repaired overnight and was back in good form on Sunday.

David

11. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The timing of a gala makes no difference as far as the weather is concerned just look at how many times Wimbledon and Glastonbury have been rained on. a couple of years ago the March gala was blessed with wall to wall sunshine.

12. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

Thanks David,

Saved my words, and to re assure everyone, we have no concerns whatsoever about 5542 hauling 7 Mk1s over the WSR banks. The loco is more than capable as has been proven on hundreds of occasions previously. Many thanks for everyones best wishes.

John

13. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Knowing how much just 2 guests have cost us at the Moors, I do wonder if "Super Galas" are viable long term, given the variability of the weather. In part, the answer differs from line to line as the real issue (as already pointed out) is how much extra income a Gala generates, meaning it will be easier for lines with less normal business to justify the costs of running Galas than those who normally have quite high income at most times of the year.

The point on British weather is certainly well made. A thought that has already been put forward after the weather at the weekend on the NYMR is whether spreading costs over 2 weekends (not necessarily as identical events) also improves chances of having some good weather.

The other issue that I know that both WSR and NYMR have suffered from is "death by weather forecasting" - unfortunately, the forecasts were right for the Moors but sounds as though they were worse than what hapened at WSR. I know that in the past, WSR management have complained to the Met Office for what turned out to be an inaccurate weather warning telling people to stay away from the North Somerset coast during one of the March Gala weekends a few years ago! The Met Office seem to have not risked failing to forecast bad weather since the infamous 1987 "there's no hurricane" incident but many event organisors of any type must be heartily sick of doom-ladened weather forecasts in advance of their events that often turn out not as bad as forecast.

Steven

14. A quick look at the pictures from WSR's Autumn Gala events over the last six years reveals a good mix of sunshine and showers, just about as typical as any weekend at any time of the year.

I'm very much against moving the Spring and Autumn events as they help to bring in passengers and revenue at the shoulders of the season when traffic potential is lower than the summer months. The recent move and name change from end of October to early Sept of the Somerset in Autumn to Late Summer Weekend is not a smart move as the trains are still doing well in early September. The introduction of many diesel hauled trains during the high season (albeit the very end of) makes nonsense of the current publicity slogan "Steam trains for all seasons". Same goes for the so-called "Mixed Traffic Weekend" in June, for the same reasons, and which should be pushed out to the season's shoulders. The quoted excuse of the diesels not being able to heat the trains seems very weak. Do other heritage railways have the same problem with cold trains at diesel events in autumn and winter?

For info, next year the Spring event is 19, 20, 24 to 27 March 2011, and the Autumn event is 29, 30 September and 1, 2 October 2011.

Steve

15. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    The Met Office got the weather forecast for the Minehead area absolutely right this weekend: sunny/white clouds Thurs (when I was driving up); wet/light winds until about 4pm on Friday when it would clear up; sun/white clouds Saturday; wet/strong winds until about 11am Sunday when the rain would clear to go through the Midlands and NE England and a possibility of light rain later (it actually started at 2.30pm, when I decided to leave, don't know how long it lasted).

I have, for several years now, booked my B&B for the next gala at the WSR as a paid my bill. I haven't done so this time for next March as I'm wasting too much money. Next March I'll see what the forecast is and then join in the last minute scramble for a B&B!
    I'm wondering whether a visit to the WSR would be practical late July when they are running their holiday service. It isn't by any means an intensive service, and it does include diesels, but I do like the railway and the area. Perhaps a week in the Minehead area looking at the trains would be nice.

Regards

16. malc

malc Part of the furniture

I've attended every Spring and Autumn gala at the WSR for several years now and, on the whole, I don't remember the weather being particularly bad at any of them. We live in Britain - we have unpredictable weather. I can remember travelling on a railtour to Stratford-on-Avon in December a few years back and sitting on the banks of the river in the sunshine. I booked tickets for Fairford air show in July a couple of years ago and it was rained off. As I travelled home from the WSR last Sunday, there was a very impressive sunset over the Somerset levels - did anybody manage to get this as the backdrop to some of the final trains of the gala. As has been said, galas are held in the shoulders of the season as that's when "normal" passengers are fewer, but there is still a reasonable chance of decent weather. Imagine a steam gala in high summer - trains already full with holidaymakers become full and standing with enthusiasts, linesiders complain about the lack of smoke effects, fire risk means some trains are diesel-hauled...

17. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

I have to agree with you. A gala should be different from the norm regards timetabling. there should be an 'intensive' timetable, with trains & engines & wagons clattering about to keep people interested & 'on there toes'!
    If its like a country branch line ,( which I know it was!) then people are going to be bored as was said above. Surly the gala team can do this for the few days a year that the gala's are on?
    Having said this , I shall be there next w.e. rain or no rain!

18. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

19. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

Just my two pennyworth but the best attended galas I've been to have also been the busiest on the tracks, with some kind of action every 20 minutes or so at one of both of the termini, and at any stations that are double track and therefore passing places. Not having been to the WSR for many years (due to living way out of area), can anyone tell me if their galas include a regular shuttle service over part of the line, like BL-Williton or MD-Williton? If not, could the T & S infrastructure cope with this more intensive service?

20. Not quite sure what you are driving at here but I'll have a go to explain the operational aspects of the WSR in a few words:

Minehead to Blue Anchor - about 3 and a half miles; one intermediate station, four public road level crossings; running time approx 15 mins.
    Blue Anchor to Williton - about six miles; four intermediate stations; running time approx 25 mins
    Williton to Crowcombe - about six miles; one intermediate station; two public road level crossings; running time approx 22 mins
    Crowcombe to Bishops Lydeard - about four miles; running time approx 15 mins
    Bishops Lydeard to Norton Fitzwarren - about three miles; running time approx 10 mins (to Taunton approx 20 mins)

All intermediate stations serve popular areas and all generate worthwhile revenue.

All sections are EKT.

The GWR, recognising the above arrangements, made significant improvements to the infrastructure, namely passing loops at Kentsford (breaking the six mile Blue Anchor to Williton section) and at Leigh (breaking the six mile Williton to Crowcombe section), and doubling the Minehead to Dunster section and the Bishops Lydeard to Norton section. All removed by BR or by the early WSR. Re-instatement of the loops would greatly improve the current operational situation.

That said, the current Gala timetable has deliberately lengthy waiting times at the three passing loop stations (we can disregard the shuttles on the Norton section for this discussion) to allow for late running and to allow for passengers to transfer, safely, from one train to another (a popular part of Gala experience for enthusiasts). Thus Gala journeys from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard take 1 hour 34 mins (normal service trains take around 1 hour 25 mins)

There would be no point in running shuttle trains from each end to Williton which would result in a much longer journey and an enforced change of train at Williton.

I would suggest there is "action" of some kind at the termini almost all the time during Galas, whereas there is a burst of activity at passing stations every hour, and of course maximum section occupancy through the day. So it's as busy as it can get, really, Until the passing loops at Kentsford and Leigh are put back, it is difficult to see how to improve an already intensive offering.

Steve