If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR GWR175 Finale - 30 Sept / 1 - 3 October

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lil Bear, Aug 5, 2010.

1. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Well I spend most of my time at galas travelling on the trains - I do take photos as well but only from stations or other publically accessible areas. This is because for me travelling behind steam is what the day is all about - getting some photos is a bonus, but each to their own. In my experience many of the people who travel on the trains at galas are not what we'd call "enthusiasts". Many are families or people looking for a good day out. My feeling is that they may attend galas because they know that there will be more trains and more to see and do. Sometimes however they just turn up by accident - I came across a family at the Severn Valley who had turned up not knowing there was a gala on. They couldn't believe how many engines were in steam - they seemed surprised when someone told them it wasn't like that every week. So don't assume that galas are exclusively for enthusiasts - many people can turn up and enjoy them even if they don't know a Black 5 from a Bulleid Pacific. It's interesting however how people gravitate towards famous engines - at the Severn Valley this year anything hauled by "City of Truro" was full to bursting point!

2. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Oh I dont know TBH a lot of the Daytime trains were like that!

3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have noticed at the last few Galas I have attended there have been a lot more "normal" people in attendance alongside us enthusiasts. I am also more keen on riding the trains these days and getting a few decent shots rather than mainly shooting loads of so-so pictures. Since Tornado has arrived on the scene there seem to be more families visiting steam galas which can only be a good thing for the future.