If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Mixed Traction Weekend 10-12 June 2016

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by West Somerset Wizard, Mar 30, 2016.

1. baldbazza

baldbazza New Member

IT geek
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The closest I saw to crowds on any of the trains this year were behind the Hymek, Warship and the Saturday steam services. Just sayin'...

34098 likes this.
  2. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

Can I put it out there that maybe in future those of us who want the hydraulics get them on same set all day, same for the visitors and inferior diesel electrics, if its possible to diagram in such a manner on another note, how long will it take to calalate the numbers from the event just passed.

Captain Fantastic likes this.
  3. 34098

Early weekend in Feb with a few hydraulics , sounds good to me.

Hampshire Unit likes this.
  4. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't get your hopes up for anything to happen next Feb as there are extensive engineering projects planned in the closed periods Autumn/Winter 2016/7 which will effectively cut the railway in several places.

5. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Although I may have something to say about the steam,please don't take me for someone that hates the hydro's I just think if the budget for bringing in locos only spreds to three (I don't know that just a guess) then why on earth would you spend it on bringing in duplicates of classes you already have.
    Robin I've been thinking on things that may bring in money for little outlay and how about using the carridge sidings at Lyd, someplace people may be attracted by that, just stop in the plat At Lyd as normal to allow people to stretch there legs if they want to and anyone who wants to can stay on as the train loco pulls the stock into the siding and the new loco comes out of the compound onto the back then into the platform to await Dep time?
    Also if to use the MOD shunters at Minehead you Need the 09, why not run it down as a early service from Lyd, again not my sort of thing but I bet you would someone there for it,and if you have to move the rod anyway why not give it a go

6. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    Thank you for the ideas.

Movements in and out of sidings can be time consuming as points not fitted with facing pint locks have to be clipped and scotched. But 'loops and sidings' tours have their place.

How attractive would a ride behind the WSR 09 be, and for how many folks?

Robin

7. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

I got back home at almost midnight from three enjoyable days in Somerset after a 275 mile drive.

Various railways are similar to each other. Others have USPs for example the gradients and Battersby running at NYMR, griddle car services at GCR and the evening services (not one train) at SVR.

Where does the WSR fall-well it’s locos generally don’t go anywhere else and next year ,hopefully, there will be two pairs of green twins-the hymeks and cromptons.

Who is the WSR catering for with its mixed traffic event-day visitors (generally from BL) and those there for the duration (generally staying around Minehead?)

Which loco followers are catered for-the hydraulic followers pretty well, the sulzer followers to an extent.EE and red pen brigades largely ignored.

The 33 generally seems to get a round trip at best over the years-enough to tempt followers to pay £26 compared to a running day or stay for the duration-it would appear not.

Most of those seen on an evening in Minehead were there for the hydraulics but yet generally needed to be at BL for the 0905/0955 train or Williton for 0850 (had they been tipped off!)

Advance notice would be appreciated (not the week before) about which ends classes/types will be based for the event, to enable accommodation to be booked at the appropriate end of the line.

The DMU-why? As already pointed out it steals a loco path Friday and Sunday evenings to generally waste two days running Dunster ECS shuttles. Better used as the hauled stock on NF shuttles all three days.

Dunster shuttles only required if D2271 or other shunters available. (Could haul the 2 coaches used for NF shuttle this year).

The timetable-the odd later run would be appreciated but if not fine.

How about a Friday evening trip around the NF complex of track for an extra £10 using 09/14?

The later turns should be turned around faster at BL, trains not held at CH waiting the hourly time when passengers just want to get to BL and away e.g. 1800-1813 on Sunday evening.

Rather than hold all trains at CH southbound, why not keep them an extra 12 minutes at Williton to allow the DEPG facilities to be visited during the day?

What passenger purpose did the Saturday evening/Sunday morning Williton train serve-think I counted four passengers on at CH when saw the Western and jumped onto it? However a 0900 off Minehead where the majority stay would be appreciated.

The laws of diminishing returns-whilst sharing convoy costs with other railways reduces costs those getting loco x on its fourth railway in five weekends get fewer visitors than railway one or two. This is especially the case if railways are nearby or one is centrally located. I know many who have done/are doing two out of Swanage/SVR/WSR but not many who have done all three.

Marketing-no use of social media, if you want a timetable write (sorry this is 2016 not 1986) and ask for one isn’t the answer, roster issued late in the day. 1010 advertised, quietly disappeared then turned up Sunday unannounced on a graveyard train, some based at Minehead for three days didn’t even know it had worked on Sunday afternoon. Overall poor at best.

So how does the WSR improve?

Marketing see how Spa, SVR, NNR, Swanage promote their diesel events.

Locos-cater for EE and red pens (7018/2271 could be the answer here)-66757 is NOT the solution. Make use of the Crompton/hymek pairs. Not convinced convoys from preceding events is the answer, perhaps one or two chosen examples such as a required GB 66 bringing 50026 from Eastleigh or two locos from Bodmin.

Use all the locos all days-many can only get there one day so miss 56302,7017 (Friday) or 66757,47840 (Sunday).

Marketing needs to be much sooner-next year again Swanage, SVR, WSR will all be three day events within a month-WSR you NEED to sell yourself-why should the enthusiast with finite holidays/money choose WSR over the other two with better reputations for promising and delivering? The market is national not local.

One train with 33s on all day-some 48, some 57, some paired, same with 7017 and 7018.Another train with EE on all day. Putting similar locos out on different trains at the same time isn’t catering for anyone.

The steam turn, caters for the normals, can be easily avoided and in my eyes isn’t an issue.However, if another four visitors appeared could prevent enough miles per type.

Timetable-tighten it up, think where the line attractions are and drop the dmu.

The event can be largely improved without spending a fortune on peoples dream wish lists of 24 visitors,19 of which are unavailable from the four corners of the country, on a convoy from railways with no rail connection.

8. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    Could a member of the 'red pen' brigade please set out their 'top ten' or so locos?

Robin

9. Herald

Herald Member

Surely one significant benefit of diesel relative to steam is not needing access to water and coaling facilities. Given that most railways suffer a cash shortage in the closed season and a significant anniversary exists to be commemorated could an enlightened management at least put on a modest part line event to bring in some cash and generate some positive publicity for the forthcoming season? At a time of year with limited competitors operating it might be worth a try assuming that issues of carriage heating could be addressed.

10. robinguarddriver

robinguarddriver New Member

There is the problem, no way of heating stock. The only option would be dragging the DMU but then you only have 3 coaches.
    Robin F.

11. robinguarddriver

There is some good ideas on here, I have already mentioned to Robin that some form of shunter shuttle would be a good idea, especailly if both the 03 and 04 are running.
    Regarding the Western, that was decided at very late notice and as Driver of the 33 on Sunday I only found out when I arrived at WN that it was possible that she would be attached to us for the trip to BL.
    I am happy to report that we did not have to power at all and D1010 sounded pretty good from the second best seat on the train on our climbs up to Crowcombe.
    I do feel that Robin along with Colin will listen to any constructive ideas and do there up most to try and improve events for the future.
    Robin F

34098 and D7076 like this.
  12. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

What is required now could be irrelevant by next year.
    Preserved wise 40013 is the new draw this year. However by next June will have done atleast three galas.Last year it was 20205 ,next year's could well be 7018 and the year after 7029?
    The Bodmin locos have rarely made it further than Devon in preservation hence their suggestion.

Colas (and all but three freightliner) 70s have yet to work along with many freightliner and some GB/DRS 66s.
    Most 68s have now worked(several in last few weeks).
    08650/08947 at Merehead/Whatley,08410 from Penzance

13. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    I think your on a highway to nothing there as 7076 says what is good this year won't be so "Hot" next year, the list of pres locos I did a few pages was only a list of the locos that don't get out and about much (7076 please note I never said get all of them neither did I say I had an extensive knowledge if their maintenance shedules)
    I really think the idea of a visiting mainline shunter should at least be looked at, but now the number of them has reduced to what it is that may be not very near
    With the railways relationship with Freightliner and given that they have them parked up at Taunton in the day why not ask the question,any Green 66 has been V V rare since the Barrow Hill incident they just don't work passenger so you wouldn't need to organise a "special" one so to speak as those who haven't worked far outnumber those that have. If not that then try a 60 from DB as people will travel for a 60 irrespective of the number where as the number if a DB shed would matter more
    As for a class 50 if you go for one I wouldn't touch a SVR one or one of the mainline ones try and get one that just does pres either 042 or as 7076 says 026 although if 021 is anywhere near ready grab that, I haven't had that one since 1988

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  14. Robin Moira White

Barrister
    In a PM you have suggested that use of D2271 would be a draw. Can I ask if it makes a difference to the attractiveness if it is used on a short distance shuttle or a longer trip?

Robin

15. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

For most haulage full stop. Stock in preference to a brake van, to most distance doesn't matter. Up and down Minehead platform would do for 90%, Dunster better(station to station), Blue Anchor superb. Washford too far.

Robin Moira White likes this.
  16. robinguarddriver

Quite a few years ago when we ran a shuttle to Blue Anchor using a 03 one end and the 14 the other we did have quite a few passengers!
    But it would take up paths which is why the shuttles run to Dunster.
    Maybe look at using different shunters on NF shuttles? It has been the 09 and the 14 at least twice now
    Robin F.

17. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Here's my video from the gala yesterday:

18. 34098

I know it was otherwise engaged this year but 50026 worked at the gala,it did at the weekend, now its off back to base as it has no invites else where, could it be worth having it on the railway on a loan to replace the warship. Just an idea.

19. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

Whilst this could be a good idea, I don't think there is a very good relationship between the DEPG and class 50s. I expect that is because they are more complex to maintain than hydraulics and other diesel-electrics. I'm pretty sure the DEPG were glad when those previously here left.

Personally, I don't think there is a need to replace the Warship, D1010 should now be available for the rest of the year, D7018 should be back next year, and possibly D6566, so there will be plenty of diesels available. Any more and people will complain when their favourites don't get enough running days!

20. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Class 25? Its just the right size to cough a bit

34098 likes this.