If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR S&D Spring Steam Gala, 5-6 and 10-13 March 2016

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by gwr4090, Nov 14, 2015.

1. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The brochure costs just £3. It gives details of the timetable and the allocations. The money goes to the railway.
    What a bargain. Why would any visitor to the gala not want to buy a copy? Oh yes ...... <BJ>

2. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't know whether the number of days 34053 is working is restricted by the SVR, or whether it's a cost reduction thing (not having to use x amount of coal/water which will cost x amount). Is this the norm with guests at railways, the home railway dictates how many days it's allowed to run?

I also imagine that if 44871/another guest doesn't make it then altering of the diagrams may be on the cards before having to resort to western power!

Well if we're only allowed to use the engines that are already in use that day then I believe I count 5. If not then in theory they can all be covered, although I'm unsure as to the restrictions on 44422, which could make it more...

3. Andy Norman

Andy Norman Member

Well if we're only allowed to use the engines that are already in use that day then I believe I count 5. If not then in theory they can all be covered, although I'm unsure as to the restrictions on 44422, which could make it more...[/QUOTE]

I’m assuming on being able to use S&D engines not in use on any given day so less than 5 (I don’t know about any owner’s restrictions, etc.) and as there are a number of days when they are all rostered it can’t be zero. I’m also working on the assumption that engines in steam are committed fully in that day as the rosters are very busy for each of them.

4. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

I’m assuming on being able to use S&D engines not in use on any given day so less than 5 (I don’t know about any owner’s restrictions, etc.) and as there are a number of days when they are all rostered it can’t be zero. I’m also working on the assumption that engines in steam are committed fully in that day as the rosters are very busy for each of them.[/QUOTE]

The first weekend can be covered pretty easily purely by not having a double header on the Saturday and having it Sunday instead to get the loco at the right end for the day, and one loco doing an extra round trip on the Sunday. Thursday, keep an engine on a train instead of swapping so it does an extra round trip, and hold one engine from a double header until the next service to cover that, but it will have to end at the wrong end of the line. Friday gets a little more difficult if only using what is already running, which results in one round trip not covered. If you use the loco that isn't rostered for anything then it's a simple case of pushing one engine back into the 44871 hole, putting the engine that was at the wrong end on that train so it's in the right place for the day, and then using the unrostered loco on the other 44871 round trip. Saturday, one run is easily covered, the other again depends on whether 44422 has any restrictions placed on it with regards to solo running (I know it does do solo runs during the gala but they aren't on either Sat/Sun). If it does then 1 run isn't covered. Sunday, again if the unrostered loco can be used then it's an easy substitute. If not then 1 run can't be easily covered without losing the Dunster Shunt.

I know that sounds very confusing to anyone who doesn't have a WTT (or maybe even if you do have a working timetable!), but it seems up to 4 runs can't be covered depending on whether unrostered locos can be used and if there are any solo running restrictions on 44422 for the weekends. My brain hurts now...

5. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

OK: I'm useless at navigating websites. Any chance a kind soul can post a link to the page with instructions for buying the loco rosters etc? I genuinely can't find this.... Thanks!

6. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Bournemouth to Bath sounds like a long run for a tank engine - even a Standard 4

7. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

8. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

9. Adam-Box

Adam-Box Member

Is the picture of 34070 on the Swanage Railway? the green coaches and the hill behind have been giving me a sense of deja vu!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  10. AnthonyTrains2017

Are there locos that can't fit on minehead turntable.

11. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

12. dinmore7820

dinmore7820 New Member

Operations Manager

All that's coming will fit on the turntable.

13. Andy Norman

Andy Norman Member

Well done, I’ll give you that. In fact your thought process went to better detail than mine. I know the guys who do the rostering have been doing this for a long time but it really is a difficult task that makes your head hurt. Then on top of all this you have to consider water, coal (Minehead), turning, stock in the right place, no conflicts and placement of the right crews and all have to end up in the right place for the following day, etc. It’s a great insight into the problem the shed masters had back then. I don’t know how the WSR roster people do it but I nearly resorted to cutting out bits of paper and pushing them round the table, perhaps a OO Gauge model of the line would be a great idea to try it on first !!!!!!!

theonlyadsrulz and JBTEvans like this.
  14. Gunz412

Gunz412 New Member Loco Owner

Great line up, can't wait. But too much green. Every engine should be black. The steam locomotive was designed to be black.

15. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    [​IMG]

16. Gunz412

Gunz412 New Member Loco Owner

I'll bring my paint!

17. AnthonyTrains2017

What does the demolition train consist of. Do WSR have a crane

18. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

This is the crane normally used for PW work throughout the line which is not self-propelled:
    http://www.wsr.org.uk/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?h=Snapshot&p=2015/03/030

There is also this one which is self-propelled, and assists with shunting at Minehead, but never leaves the station area, possibly because the jib cannot be brought into loading gauge:
    http://www.wsr.org.uk/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?h=Snapshot&p=2013/01/090113_1_lja

I am rostered as Guard on the Demolition Train. I probably won't know what it consists of until I turn up at Minehead on the day, but I am expecting the first crane and a few flat wagons which would have been used to load track and sleepers on.

19. Andy Forster, WSR's Chief Mechanical Engineer, has provided an update:

"Here is the latest news regarding the movement of SDJR 2-8-0 no 53809 from Butterley to Bishops Lydeard. At present vehicles moving out by road from Butterley need to exit via a temporary entrance over unmade ground. Plans were in place for both 53809 and 70013 Oliver Cromwell to move out yesterday. It was possible for the tender of 53809 to leave but the unit moving 70013 became bogged down despite the combined pulling power of 3 heavy tractor units. Overnight work was done to compact the ground and the heavy frost has helped, 70013 successfully moving over the soft area at 9am this morning. It will now be possible to bring onto site the unit to load 53809 which should be on the WSR later this evening provided no further problems are encountered"

"Meanwhile - difficulties of moving LMS 4-6-0 no 44871 via rail have cast serious doubt over its availability to attend the gala, I am working hard to source a suitable replacement locomotive that complies with the S&D theme."

Seems folks are doing their very best and making a big effort to put on the best possible show...

Steve

nanstallon likes this.
  20. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes indeed. Manston has just crossed Corfe viaduct en route to Norden. It's quite a tricky shot to bring off if you want an exhaust as the drivers sometimes shut steam off between crossing the viaduct and the footpath from which the photo is taken. The photographer on this occasion did well.

Adam-Box likes this.