If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Spring Steam Gala, 20-21 & 25-28 March 2010

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by gwr4090, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Steve,
    Lets hope so! Remember the old saying 'you've got to give the customer what they want, or they wont come back'.
    Orion, I hope its not going that way, the wsr like all rlways. has got to keep up with the times & economic, but I hope they dont forget the above, which could apply to volunteers as well as passengers

2. rodders154

rodders154 Member

Retired Grumpy old man
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I always like to have a brekkie on the down QB and stay on the train for a Cream tea on the way back. I for one really miss the QB and wish that the Chairman of the SEPT were to find a way with the QB staff to reinstall the service at te earliest possiable time.

When my collegues & I visit the SVR we always make strait for the breakfast train and there is no finer way to enjoy a line than to have a meal on a restraunt car.

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Original line-up now changed, Theme altered to STANDARDS ERA
    http://www.wsr.org.uk/news.htm#1099

Visiting
    71000 Confirmed
    78019 80104 Under negotiation
    92203 92212 Under discussion

Home
    4160 5553 In service
    88 9351 Thurderbird

4. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner

Can they not use every loco possible? I'd love to see 34046 out if it is serviceable.

BTW - Peterborough Council own 73050 and have said they do not want it to leave the County, hence it has only ever run on the NVR.

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    It says in the article 34046 and 3850 will still be undergoing maintenance at this time. Normally they have around 10 engines in use at the Spring Gala so presume there could be some more locos to be announced. 6100 wasn't announced till late last year anyway, and I know of one group not mentioned in the above article that has been invited to the gala.

6. Aha. Technically, then, as a local taxpayer, I own part of 73050. Now which councillor do I lobby? ;)

Steve
    (WSW)

7. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I think you'd be in a queue: I believe that 30926 went to the Nene Valley on the understanding that 73050 would visit the NYMR in exchange, something it has singularly failed to do so far

8. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Hope they manage to get a 7MT for the event, a double-header with 71000 would be interesting. Maybe hire in another Bulleid for the event if the funds are available?

9. [Start negotiating now and maybe we can have her for S&D 50 in 2016.

QUOTE=West Somerset Wizard;322442]Aha. Technically, then, as a local taxpayer, I own part of 73050. Now which councillor do I lobby? ;)

Steve
    (WSW)[/QUOTE]

10. QB

SEPT say "The [QB] kitchen car will provide a never ending supply of bacon butties available at a seat on their train following the success of this limited Kitchen service during the fours days of the 2009 Autumn Steam Gala that was much appreciated by visitors and staff".

Maybe the demand to continue the "full" QB service is not evident to the Railway. I suggest writing to the Chairman of the WSR Plc and the Chairman of the WSRA if your Gala visit is at risk of called off.

Steve
    (WSW)

11. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    As the theme has changed slightly, can the gala possibly include Stanier/Ivatt types? It was this series of locos that directly led to the standards.

Just a thought!

Regards

12. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

If it is a "standards era" gala it could be all-GW types and still be on theme!

13. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

When it was announced it was interesting to see the responses (from our esteeemed members) which quite quickly showed that it would be hard to source certain examples of BR Standards. Now either commitments or perceived commitments were made which have fallen through or some homework wasn't done before the announcement

I cannot help but feel slightly that the GWR 175 Prelude in the autumn was rather jumping the gun . leaving March with a well what do you do ??

As a suggestion (as it is GW 175) would an all GWR weekend with all engines in GWR livery be out of the question ? or even make the March Gala more of a Branch line weekend . Lots of Panniers and Prairies with an odd 2-8-0 in for good measure and bring the big guns out for the Autumn

Probably too late to change things now but just a thought

14. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Well, I'm glad they've kept to the Standards theme as much as possible, even if at least three classes will not be represented. On a personal note, 76079 was no real loss, as I've experienced it on the 'Cambrian' for three years running, and as there are currently no Std. 4 4-6-0s in steam, that's no problem for me either. The only major disappointment is the lack of a Std. 5, especially if it was going to be the 'Caprotti' version. However, that's a personal checklist of 'wants': I'll be extremely happy if they get 92212, as it will be my second 9F 'bagged' after 92203 (note: by 'bagged', I mean 'ridden behind'). It will also be good to experience a 'three-cylinder' (see article in Steam Railway to find out what I mean) 71000 on Washford Bank. Another good 'un would be 78019, as I can't remember whether I had a ride behind it on the Llangollen Railway for its SSS1 event in 2007. Once again, this is how I as a potential paying customer sees the situation, and will generally be happy if there's a gala at all (although with not too many GWR locomotives, as it would be nice to have a change of scene amongst the 175 anniversary events).

15. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I too am pleased that the 'standards' theme will be kept to, but as I don't buy 'Steam Railway' I'd be grateful for an explanation of the phrase ''three-cylinder' .... 71000', please.

Regards

16. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Would it be possible to use 9351 in BR guise like she and 3850 appeared in at the SSG in 08?

17. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Basically the middle cylinder had a defect in it from when it was built in the 1950's. This has now been rectified as well as a crack in the same cylinder, so theoretically at least 71000 should perform better than before.

Regards,

Dan

18. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Going off-topic but I've read the article in Steam Railway and I don't understand what the problem was and what has been done. Can anyone explain in detail?

19. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    From what I understand with my limited engineering knowledge, there was restricted steam flow to the middle cylinder due to a poor (ie. poorly streamlined) connection with the steam passage. This problem is another of the flaws of manufacture that plagued 71000. The net result was a cylinder that was only operating at a fraction of its potential, which has now been rectified, so once again, theoretically 71000 should be better than ever.

20. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

Hear, Hear. Its good to have a change, an all GWR galas ounds like every other gala that we do!