If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Spring Steam Gala, 20-21 & 25-28 March 2010

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by gwr4090, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Excellent! It will be nice to see her in steam at last, and to have the chance for a ride for the first time! I last saw her in 2007 at Ropley pending overhaul, and was impressed by the sheer size of the BR1F tender.

2. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

Good news, I think the 9F's are such impressive locos. Fingers crossed that 92203 also makes it.

Cheers,

Paul

3. The_Mighty_Kings

The_Mighty_Kings Member

IT Senior Support Consultant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yay, Get in there :) I'm so pleased thats now happening. MHR's 9F certainly has a bark on her. Here's looking forward to a blast up Washford and onto Crowcombe.

Also, really really hoping to see the 2 9Fs double heading - I want that shot of the 2 at Castle Hill in late afternoon lighting - my 1 and only request please organisers :pray2:

4. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I think the timetablers might be able to arrange the locos to be at Castle Hill at an appropriate time, but as for the sun, well ...

Regards

5. The_Mighty_Kings

The_Mighty_Kings Member

IT Senior Support Consultant
    Thats a good point... but its about time I got lucky with such things so I can but hope

6. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    It appears that our wish may be coming true. The WSR website has stated (subject to availability) that 92203, 80104 and 78019 are confirmed. Also, Braunton has been invited to the party, although it does depend on whether the mainline equipment has been fitted. So, I wonder if there is the mouth-watering possibility of a 9F double-header?

7. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    And the latest issue of HR says that 70000 may appear in Black if she is ready in time...

8. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Black? ? ?

Regards

9. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Yes, plain black ! 70000 ran in this livery for its first few weeks on test in January 1951. It was then painted fully lined green and formerly named at Marylebone at the end of the month. Info from the latest Heritage Railway.

David

10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

I'm curious

what is it about double headed 9f's ?

11. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Thank you, David. I know that 'Britannia' was in plain unlined black for a short time in January 1951, there is a frontispiece photo in 'The Railway Magazine' of the period showing the engine nameless and glistening. I can't help but feel that this is yet another instance of loco owners painting an engine in what might be described as a 'minor livery' just to show how clever, how knowledgeable, they are. Will 'Britannia' be nameless I wonder or is that taking authenticity too far? Personally I would prefer it in BR lined green and that the clever clogs took a holiday.

:tongue1::tongue1::tongue1:

Regards

12. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Could it be more imposed by time constraints, given the fairly major caveat 'if its ready in time'? Less time needed for plain black than a fully lined out livery, particularly if its only a temporary job.

And in general regarding the livery, while I acknowledge it is entirely personal opinion, but I rather think though that as liveries go, the one in which the first BR designed loco was turned out in is actually a pretty significant one rather than something minor only for clever clogs.

13. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    70000 in unlined black would certainly be different, and a rather neat thing to do to celebrate it's return to traffic. Don't forget that it ran without nameplates during its first few return to main line test runs in 1991.

Regards,

Dan

14. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Can not see what all the fuss is about really if it wasnt for people like Jeremy Hosking these large engines would never be steamed again after all its only temporary.

15. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    The point here is that this engine is intended to be primarily a mainline loco. Its appearances at galas are likely to be few and far between and those appearances will be spread over the country. I would doubt if I will, over the ten year boiler certificate period, see it more than four times, probably only three, at galas. Mainline duties are all very well but the loco just goes whoosh and it's all over in seconds. Only at galas can I, and most other enthusiasts, get up close.

Regards

16. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    And ? When you are travelling behind it the colour of paint doesn't really matter. I'm sure the Black wont be permanent, just a temporary thing to get it to WSR in an authentic livery, that hasn't been seen before in preservation, until the guys restoring her have a chance to do a proper job. They could have painted it BR Blue for you if they'd really wanted, or even have said no to WSR's request to hire her for the gala. But no, they are doing the best they can to get her there for you to enjoy. Be grateful for what you are getting for crying out loud.

17. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I suppose its overkill in a motive power sort of way (and murder to refill the tenders from a single water crane), but I for one would like to see one nonetheless!

18. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Would prefer a single pannier with a nice heavy load myself, but each to their own!

19. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    That's strange, because I'd also like to see a Bulleid hauling one carriage during a gala, as per prototype on some of the Padstow runs (50mph on the mainline a la Tangmere plus support coach doesn't count)...

20. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    A 57xx backwards up Washford bank on load 8!!! The sound would be amazing, maybe something for the ASG.