If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Spring Steam Gala, Thu 26-Sun 29 March 2015

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by gwr4090, Jul 20, 2014.

1. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Thinking about how Kilmersdon is run I guess thats right, I cant dispute that either,When 53808 , Braunton and 3850 have been in the yard they have faced Taunton,
    No time in the 24-48 hours to turn it, pretty sure if they wanted too they could have found time,
    I dont blame the people moaning at Nornvis I was annoyed too,

This is one of the main reasons I get a bit peeved with the railway sometimes the railway pulls it off, Yesterday seemed a day of them thinking stuff it and everyone whos paid money we will do everything half heartedly, going through the motions so to speak,
    I'm expecting the answer to be operational reasons, but if you knew it was going to be bunker first why not say. Pretty easy to get that infomation out there these days,

2. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Having seen the timetable for Thursday I had hoped the railway was starting to go back to the creativity of galas from around 10 years ago. The last time I remember such a creative timetable was the Somerset In Autumn event in 2007! But doing things like waiting an age for a late running bus etc makes me wonder where their priorities for these events are sometimes.

34098 likes this.
  3. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    I think it's quite feasible for the railway to wait for a bus on a normal running day when the railway is quiet. On the other hand, delaying the start of a busy gala day appears rather short sighted. <BJ>

34098 likes this.
  4. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Dear me, that 70021 sticker looks awfully tacky, :(

34098 likes this.
  5. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

:(Just come off a trip on the saloon. Very nice but shame no refreshments and kitchen apparently locked.

Currently in buffet awaiting departure of Norton Fitzwarren "Express".

Steven

6. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Agreed. <BJ>

7. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

Dear me. It looks like there are a lot of negative comments on here about the gala. What a shame. I can't comment because I'm not there but I do hate to see this.

8. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

and with just a four minute time gap ( as mentioned in an earlier post) between the bus and train - that would be cutting things rather fine at any time.

34098 likes this.
  9. Journalist

Journalist New Member

I wasn't too fussed about 4270 bunker-first - would've made a better picture smokebox first so that would've been preferable, but it's not like every freight in steam days was smokebox first and we're lucky to be have a line with turning facilities at both ends so 'wrong-way-round' running is something to complain about rather than just mandatory for 50 per cent of trains. And I didn't notice 70000's ropey sticker was that ropey till the end of the day so it hadn't bothered me a great deal.

The timekeeping did niggle me a little, though. I've never run a railway so can't criticise with any authority. There were times on Thursday when things happened that did make me wonder 'was that really the right priority at that point?' or 'could that have been done earlier?' as delays ensued, but there may well have been sound reasons. Equally being able to nip across onto another train at passing points with less of a rush, or managing to get quite some distance for a departure shot of a train I'd just got off were occasions when the extra hanging around was actually appreciated.

Most people working at a gala are volunteers doing so because they want to rather than to keep targets as such. No one wants to get the Clapham Junction platform staff treatment at a preserved railway, and there are some personnel on some lines who are rightly criticised for how they handle passengers swapping from train to train at galas. The Severn Valley was cited as a good gala timekeeping example above and that's true, but (not for a few years, in fairness) a lot of us have tales of being aggressively barked at when changing trains there. No harm at all in a polite 'can you get in at the back door and walk through please' request though, and I've had enough of those at WSR over the years.

It's also worth bearing in mind how often the standard hourly WSR gala timetable is criticised for the amount of time 'festering' at passing points. I wasn't a fan when I first saw it on paper and it can make a journey feel pretty long-winded, but it does help keeping things on schedule and I've actually appreciated being able to hop on and off for pictures, or a speedy DEPG depot visit in the Williton dwell on down trains, or being able to repeatedly overtake a train on the road to get multiple photos. It was very good to have some variety from that hourly routine on Thursday, though, even if it wasn't as 'robust' for timekeeping as a result.

Ultimately I do think timekeeping has to be a priority at preserved line galas, especially at railways with good public transport links where a high percentage will be arriving by national rail and/or bus rather than driving. It just has to be handled with a bit of good-natured humanity. But in an era when there's a high chance of people travelling to galas on the national network having train-specific advance tickets, you want to make sure your passengers don't get stranded at the end of the day and when things are about half an hour off-schedule at 4pm, that is going to cause some anxiety. There were a couple of things I would've liked to do on Thursday that I cut out because the late running made it a bit unpredictable, but I was probably being ridiculously ambitious anyway (I do try to mix up rides behind guest locos up the best hills and plenty of different photo locations on a WSR gala day so spend much of it nipping from station to station by road to achieve all my targets for the day).

So yep, a few negatives with timekeeping, some odd diagrams etc, BUT it was still a cracking day. Nine locos out in various ways is a great tally, I had some superb runs and I can't see myself missing a WSR gala any time soon. Yes, I would've had a slightly better time still if trains had been more consistently on time and 4270 had done more, but that just makes it an 8 out of 10 rather than a 9.5.

10. Black Jim

Black Jim Member

First let me say the WSR is a great railway & I love it to bits, having been a fireman for 23 years until 4 yrs ago, but one of the reasons I left, one of the reasons, is this seemingly over caucous & conservative attitude that has crept in over the years. Especially regarding the galas & the lack of bustle & 'life' that has infected some staff as mentioned above. Does this come from the SEPT or management in general? Who knows, but I do know that if trains are running late & the timetable has slipped, loco crews are , or were, told NOT TO make up time. To my mind if the staff are half asleep then the punters will be as well! This is not to denigrate the loco crews or staff who are some of the best in the buisiness, but I cant help compering the situation now with the galas of the late 90s & 2000s.

11. Jeff Price

Jeff Price Member

Sorry All
    Have posted the following on the wrong forum,so here it is on the intended forum Jeff Price

From Andy Forster WSR CME.

Ref cab side numbering 70021.
    I must accept that the mismatch of colour in the cab side numbering is my fault and mine alone. Last week various people had been arranged to undertake elements of the name change on “Morning Star” and they performed their tasks splendidly as well as doing all of the other multitude of jobs at Bishops Lydeard including unloading, examining, cleaning the various gala locomotives. The remaining task that required an element of care was the alteration of the cab side number to 70021. It was not an option to paint out the existing number and apply new numerals and so our usual practice is to use magnetic sheet to overlay with the new numerals.
    As most will be aware things did not go to plan last week with the transportation of 6695 and so considerable time was spent arranging recovery of the locomotive, liaison with the host railway, the locomotive’s owners, the insurance company and the transport company. At the same time making contact with others to arrange a replacement locomotive that was both available, suitable for the duties required for it and appropriate for the gala, followed by the transport and paperwork. It was fortunate that the Furness Railway Trust was able to help and our thanks go to them for the hire of 5643.
    Whilst this was going on I ordered the new numerals but failed to check that we had the appropriate backing colour in stock to match the green of Britannia. Unfortunately when stocks were checked we did not have the correct colour and so the best match was acquired from our local supplier with one day to spare. The range of possible greens was restricted to only 3 shades and the option of taking the locomotive to the supplier to get the best match was not practical, at the time the locomotive was a 2 hour round trip drive away. It is unfortunate that the colour match is not good, I apologise, please do not blame anyone else except myself.

I offer my resignation as colour co-ordinator manager.

12. Jeff Price

Jeff Price Member

Bean Counter has noticed that refreshments have not been available on the inspection saloon today.

I have asked the team who arranged the gala why this opportunity to increase income and enhance the experience of passengers has been missed.
    I am told that the owners of the vehicle have specifically prohibited the sale or supply of any food or drinks in the inspection saloon except when used on Quantock Belle services

34098 and Black Jim like this.
  13. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

I must say that I haven't had a decent thrash on the WSR since 1999 in either steam or diesel galas or on normal service days. I do remember witnessing some in the March 2007 steam gala but they do seem very cautious.

Black Jim likes this.
  14. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    Just got back to my accommodation after another good day on the WSR. I was chasing 7828 as a cop engine and managed to get her from Williton to Minehead second train out of BL this am. Lots of chimney chatter and a full-throated but sure footed ascent of Washford bank from Watchet this am. Top stuff.

I saw 6695 at the back of the WSRA Restorations shed, she looks good except for the four jacks supporting her (presumably to take the weight off her springs etc. I overheard a Swanage Railway fella saying just how much damage has been done to her - an awful shame.

No real timekeeping problems today and the weather got much better in the pm than I expected.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Black Jim likes this.
  15. 34098

I'm sorry but you can't have all positive feedback then ignore the criticisms,
    There is nothing negative about any of what I have seen its all constructive,

The time table is a mess who ever thought having 4 separate timetables for each day, needs to think again,

Running the goods bunker/tender first come on you have two ways of turning locos, why not make it easy on yourself,

the 70021 sticker yes we accept there was issues with 6695,

tbh the theme galas are wearing abit thin everything has to be a theme,I dont get the fasination,

Granted 1996 S&D gala, the gwr gala late 2000s and the GWR 175 events knocked the ball out of the park,

shove the themes unless its as next year is 50 years since S&D closed stuff like that,I can see the need for a theme,

Can't see its too much to ask really for

1.try to keep to time or at least try to make some back & not by not turning locos.
    2, locos smoke boxfirst
    3,No stupid runs like only to wiliton or stogumber and back,
    4 drop the themes unless its an important mile stone , all you need for a good gala is a good homefleet which they have,then up to 3 visitors,a couple of old favs and something that has never visited before for the novelty factor.

problem is I dont think they are interested in listening to us,
    I mean dont get me started on the mess Diesel running days are now,
    As ringo Starr would say thats another story.

Geoff May and Black Jim like this.
  16. Brunel

Brunel Member

Just returned from Gala. Dull weather which I know I can't blame the railway for!

However, disappointed that 46521 was only working a goods train from Minehead to Dunster and return on the Saturday of a gala.

Also disappointed that the printed timetable has sold out on Friday! How can this happen before the main two days of the gala have taken place.

I also agree with most of the grumbles raised earlier such as the colour of 70021 etc

Or are we asking too much?

34098 likes this.
  17. 34098

you have just reminded me of another gripe I and many others have putting visiting locos on the dunster shunt.......

18. 43729

43729 New Member

What's wrong with bunkers? Everyone has a rear end. Some get used more than others, but that's another story.

19. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Well, first time at a West Somerset Gala today (only a second visit at all) and a cracking day - thoroughly enjoyable, practically to time throughout and actually waiting for time on our last run (18:13 arrival at BL).

The Railway, especially stations, was practically without exception immaculately turned out, and all the staff we dealt with were friendly and polite. It is a Railway that clearly greatly loved and which its work force feels proud of and it was very easy to see why.

Well done, West Somerset Railway!

(Will have to look at making it back for the S & D 50th event next year).

Steven

20. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Another first time visitor here who had a thoroughly good day yesterday. Really one of my favourite galas for some time in think, by the end of the day I had a big grin on my face.

A couple of comments though. As others have said, I was disappointed by 46521 only doing the Dunster shunt on Saturday. Why couldn't 4160 do it, leaving 46521 free for passenger duties, either replacing one of the home fleet, or preferably adding a couple of double headers to the days' proceedings, the double headed hall run in the morning was great.

Timings were virtually fine yesterday, so no complaints about that. The 700xx looked a bit daft, was there not a pot of matching paint around to paint the cover?

The shunting at Washford was really good, even though it tiddled it down whilst I was there. All the stuff at Williton was good too, I had a good rummage through the model railway stuff and came home a little poorer.

Locos smokebox first was a new idea to me, so not going to complain about that, most were, I was happy with that. I'll put some pics up when I've sorted through them, the rain did present a problem at times though!