If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Spring Steam Gala, Thu 26-Sun 29 March 2015

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by gwr4090, Jul 20, 2014.

1. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    My video and a few photos from yesterday at the gala. The wind once again made filming very difficult at times, but I made the most of it. I can only echo sentiments about the Ivatt being used only on the Dunster shunt for Saturday, it is a shame especially if the loco is limited to 5 coaches and there was a 5 coach set running up and down during the day (which surprised me somewhat for a Saturday!). Maybe it gives people incentive to get off at Dunster to see a guest loco, even if it is only pottering up and down the yard.

I agree here mostly, although I would say on No.2, yes I think that should be locos smokebox first but wherever possible, I know in some cases locos will have to be run bunker/tender first because of set/loco limitations, the Ivatt on Sunday is one example here. And on No.3, I personally like the runs to intermediate stations and return, it gives the gala it a little more variety, something different to the straight runs from BL to Minehead and vice versa.

Anyway, my handy work from yesterday!

[​IMG]
    5643 coasts into Watchet with a train for Minehead.

[​IMG]
    4270 stands at Minehead waiting for the right away.

[​IMG]
    5542 with an Auto service from Dunster.

[​IMG]
    70021 'Morning Star' on the approach to Dunster.

[​IMG]
    46521 prepares for its run back to Minehead after a day of shunting at Dunster.

[​IMG]
    We turned into twitchers when a Mallard (maybe not the one we would've liked!) and his wife turned up at Dunster! As to be expected, lots of puns were thrown around.

Black Jim, spicer21 and maureen like this.
  2. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Weather warnings from the met office. <BJ>

1. ''Strong winds will affect many southern areas on Sunday. In particular, severe gales are likely through the Bristol Channel during the morning, with gusts of 60 to 65 mph affecting some coastal areas of South Wales and south west England. The strongest winds will ease again by mid-afternoon.''

2. ''Gale force westerly winds will funnel into the Bristol Channel from early on Sunday morning, reaching severe gale force in some coastal areas. Driving conditions may be difficult at times along some exposed routes, especially for caravans and other high-sided vehicles''.

3. Hemerdon

Hemerdon Member Friend

Retired
    My video from Thursday and Friday…….

4. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

My video of the Gala yesterday

5. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Here are some of my photos from yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ykin01 and Kinghambranch like this.
  6. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Great collection, you should be well proud of those, :)

7. flying scotsman123

Thanks very much, mostly luck I suspect, just took lots and picked out the good'uns! All taken with just a good point and shoot camera.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  8. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    A great couple of days ! Tricky on, Saturday. Trains ran to time on both days. Enjoy

9. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

One of the joys of digital photography I guess. Amazing when compared with the constraints of using film, : )

10. flying scotsman123

Indeed, I remember visiting the NRM and being chuffed that I was given a special 36 pic film!

11. I'm happy to collate feedback and forward to the Special Events team. If you'd like to express a view about the good or bad of the Gala, please email me at steve@wsr.org.uk and I'll forward the message.

Steve

12. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

I like the double-headed halls.

13. flying scotsman123

Thanks, I was rather pleased to get the only double headed train of the day. It looked great going round the curve at wherever it was, I was in the back coach, but spent so long admiring it I forgot to take a picture!

14. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Ha, that brings back memories, as well as the expectation of getting your film developed, and the excitement when collecting the prints, :)

15. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

To me it seems odd that people are complaining the tank engines were working bunker first one way all the time as this was normal and as it was a South Wales based theme all the tank engines should have faced the same way as it seemed to be normal to have the smoke box facing up the valleys.

maddog and flying scotsman123 like this.
  16. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Seems like the WSR can't please everyone. When the basic hourly timetable was introduced a few years ago there were lots of complaints that it was boring. Now they are trying to do a few things differently and people complain that it's confusing. They can't win really!

No complaints from me, apart from the lack of programmes (which was particularly annoying as I had bought one in advance but it never turned up).

Only thing I'm not sure about is the idea of running a train through from Norton Fitzwarren that non-stops BL. That creates a gap in the timetable of nearly two hours and seeing as the train crawled through BL at about 5 mph I can't see the point. If you're going to non-stop a station at least do it at a reasonable speed!

17. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

I had a chat with the 6695 group on sat and they say the front buffer heads are bent and the running boards looked to be a bit twisted. Also the brake rigging was bent when the engine moved and broke the chains, also the boiler will have to be lifted to make sure there is no damage done to this. They were non committal over any spring damage even though it had been lifted up on the jacks.

Also don't listen to the rummer that was been shouted out by one person going up and down the trains saying the frames were bent so the engine is only fit for scrap.

A member of another engine group in the Swindon Shed said it was lucky the chains were put around the brake rigging, against through the spokes as in this case most likely the spokes would have broken and then new wheels would have been needed. also it will be a good idea to have the engine fully stripped down to find any problems now for insurance purposes. Insurance was another reason the engine was taken to Williton as there would have to be the minimum amount of distance the engine was moved out of the way once unloaded.

18. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

My video last Friday. Features 8 of the 10 locomotives in action including 46521 on passenger, 3850 on goods and the 12 coach special with both 4936 & 6960 at the helm.

Was an enjoyable event yet again, the 12 coach special was great to go on, however load 2 would have been enough for passenger numbers. I don't think the railway need to do these longer trains really, some people would just like them to run a bit later in the day. Saturday seems like a better day to me to do it, however I understand it's not feasible as it would involve one train not running before it due to stock limitations or it would need to be auto, but then of course the auto needs to be on Norton shuttles rather than Dunster. It's a shame that only one train ran to NF Fri/Sat/Sun but about 5 on Thursday. Hopefully that changes.

Can I also say, whlist I know 46521 was limited to 5 coaches, set C did a round trip from MD without the loco before she came back on using 4270 & 4160, engines that could deal with 8 coaches easily. The train was very busy from BL and there was no room to sit down, people were even sharing to maximum capacity. At Minehead there was a BCK, TSO & SK all sitting there doing nothing. It's not right. I'm not saying all these coaches should have been added but the TSO should have for sure.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  19. dinmore7820

dinmore7820 New Member

Operations Manager
    As far as I am aware, the spare coaches at Minehead were out of traffic for repairs.

20. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

The BCK belongs to the Association, I suspect there is no agreement in place for its use at the moment. The TSO and SK at Minehead are both stopped for repairs at present.

West Somerset Wizard likes this.