If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WW1 Convoy from Bovington to the Great Dorset Steam fair.

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Ploughman, Aug 12, 2018.

1. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

I'd suggest not over thinking things. It's a spectacle and a performance.

A Holt tractor tips the scales at about 8.25 tons. A WWI era tank is between 27-28 tons.

BUT, I don't know what was in the convoy, there are a number of different replicas, including a plywood prop built over a transit van chassis - that will weigh significantly less. The 'tank' was being pulled on a modern low-loader trailer draped in hessian to try and tone it down a bit. The Holt tractor was on a traditional older heavy haulage trailer which weighs a chunk in itself, and requires an engine at the back to assist with braking. Did it need three engines on it to move it? Depending on the route and hills encountered I'd suggest not. Does it look impressive to have three engines, of course. Does it guarantee there's plenty of pulling power to ensure no problems, again, of course it does.

2. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I will put it on the list for next year.

3. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We only attend the Cumbria Steam Gathering each year as its in the village, they have a daily trundle round the ring and then line up, sadly seems to be fewer steam engines there each year....