If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Yet another obscure locomotive being urned into a model!!!

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by ovbulleid, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

i sit behind my computer clicking on 'view active
    https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/News/Heljan_to_produce_LMS/BR_Garrats_in_OO_for_Hattons/

12 different versions, 199 pounds. Won't be out for a while but there should be a version for every enthusiast. Nothing on it on the Hattons website though

2. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    oo I want one of these regulars in my part of the world.Wish they had saved one

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

If a garratt is good enough when will we see a 71000 model ?

Still the Austrains garratt model in HO looks fabulous, so I guess this will to

4. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

I think that given the fact that it is something a bit different then Hattons should be congratulated for comissioning it and I can see this one selling well. Also is it really that obscure? True none survive but they are a big part of the UK steam loco development story. Certainly seen plenty of kit versions being built over the years.

5. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

A nice industrial next? One can hope! :)

6. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There's no such thing as a nice industrial, they're all ugly looking things.

7. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in the hands of the bloke holding the regulator!

In all seriousness though, one would think there should be a market for a relatively generic industrial model... Something along the lines of an Andrew Barclay 12" or 14" would have a place on just about any layout!

8. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

I must admit to a strange inconsistency - I like my BR locos to be as accurate as possible in OO for the given period, but I use any old thing for industrials - currently a hacked about Triang Nellie and one of their equally ancient dock shunters. There is the Austerity available, so some degree of realism would be possible, but somhow I get pleasure out of finding a niche for these old stagers.

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I know what you mean.. I could think of at least 5 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 "off the shelf" industrial types which have several still represented in preservation and therefore viable as both historic versions and modern preserved versions.
    Maybe I should consider funding one myself the costs don't seem that expensive, and for a mould, one doesn't have to limit ones' self to a UK "marketing manufacturer" to make it.. there are several other overseas companies, who don't trade in the UK who would produce one for you, possibly for a more realistic price too.

10. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A couple of attractive industrial designs would be bound to sell well, I'd certainly get one or two as Austerities get a bit 'samey' after a while. My preference would be for one of the Manning Wardle inside cylinder 0-6-0s, might push me into the Colonel Stephen's layout I keep pondering on!

More on topic - pre-ordered my garratt yesterday. Programme of serious realignment of curves on loft layout underway!

11. Coboman

Coboman Member

Should do the bends with ease. Each of the three components are relatively short.

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

As mentioned before, the Austrains model garatt corners fine, as does my old UP Challenger and FEF, it's not as big as you think, the garatt is less in length than a double header.

13. John H-T

John H-T New Member

.... and Andrew Barclays are good looking Industrial locos as well! even though the full size ones can be sods to work on at times!

For those of us who remember the LMS Garratts they are not obscure! I remember them grinding up the from Camp Hill and through Moseley, Birmingham.

It will be cheaper to buy the Hatton's Model than attempt to motorise the Kitmaster Kit I have had for 50 years and the Hatton's Model will probably run better as well!

14. Allan Thomson

Allan Thomson New Member

Really??....

Redirect Notice

Though it must be said the Cale is run on passenger duties rather than freight in this day and age, but that's her Dub's as built livery....

15. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    A nice little 10" Barclay would grace any layout in OO.
    Several liveries available
    I would order one of each, Colin McAndrew,Lady Nan, Lord Fisher,British Gypsum No4, BAC No? (sorry).
    But then again, i may be a little tiny bit biased.
    The Melter