If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

York triangle.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Christopher125, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: York triangle threat?

How much of the land is proposed to be sold off?

2. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional

The strange thing is - that the net area inside the triangle isn't all that big - it may be the difference between the area comprising the car parking land plus the triangle area as distinct from just the car park areas alone, being a critical factor

3. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I havent seen any mention of land being sold, nor why it would need to be - its a Network Rail plan to build a 'rail operating centre and training centre', not a housing development.

Chris

4. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant

That's what I thought but I don't understand where Frank is coming from unless he knows something else?

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...

Amazing. Britain's railway infrastructure organisation not knowing how much its own resources are used, despite controlling the pathing arrangements. You would have thought that a quick search on a computer would reveal a log of usage for each year. Next thing, they'll close the East Coast Main Line and rip it up in anticipation of a British version of CERN being built, citing 'lack of use'. If this was BR, the situation bears all the ingredients of a Whitehall farce...

6. Guest

Occasional

NR may well be doing a development deal by disposing of some land in a manner that provides a training facility inter alia with other development. York is very "land hungry" Such a proposal is quite conventional - call it planning gain, offset, whatever - its the same thing. Pocket a bit, get some new for yourself.

I may be completely wrong, but how do you think we got the likes of Liverpool St or Piccadilly, but from the profits from estate development. I should know - we did it for thirty years or so.

7. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)

I suspect that use of the York triangle is normally by local arrangement - ie it isn't formally pathed by NR and therefore may not appear in NR records. But I could be wrong !

David

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Ah... So your to blame for new street and euston...and the tin shack in front of kings cross ?

:)

9. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Who knows - i see no proposal to sell the land, nor any reason why they'd need to or want to as its a NR facility on NR land. Its all beside the point anyway, the issue isnt that they want to build a training centre, but where - they werent thorough enough when investigating the use of the triangle.

Chris

10. Guest

Occasional

And that is exactly correct - and no John - those weren't mine - I'm much too young for the sins of the sixties

11. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...

Hmm. Maybe we should all club together and purchase a railway version of those road usage counters that local councils and the Highways Agency use to determine whether it is worth resurfacing a road? It would be an interesting exercise to see exactly how much use the triangle (or any other bit of seemingly little-used infrastructure) gets in a single year.

12. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Any more news on this situation?

13. 4472

4472 Member

Retired

From the York Press 23 Feb.

Details of York Rail Operating Centre centre to go on show
    9:15am Thursday 23rd February 2012. PLANS for a new rail operating and training centre, which could bring about 475 jobs in York, will go on show to the public on Tuesday.

The York Rail Operating Centre, planned by Network Rail for a 7,300 square metre site between York Station and Holgate Bridge, is one of 14 such centres proposed across Britain.

Network Rail intends that the site will eventually control all rail operations on the east coast line from King’s Cross to the Scottish Borders.

The plans also include a 6,500 square-metre workforce development centre, which would replace existing centres elsewhere and provide core maintenance training and operations and higher technical training for staff.

Phil Verster, route managing director for the London North Eastern route, said: “These plans mark an exciting development for the railway and will help us to maintain York’s position as a proud rail city. The facilities are needed to help us to deliver a modern, efficient railway. They will allow us to retain jobs in the city as well as bringing future employment benefits which are vital for economic growth and prosperity.

“We also hope that the location of the facilities, on the edge of the York Central development site, could act as a catalyst for further investment in the area.”

Representatives from Network Rail, the architects and contractors will discuss the proposals with rail passengers and residents at the main ticket hall at York Railway Station on Tuesday, and St Paul’s Church, Holgate, on Wednesday, both from 11am to 7pm.

14. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...

I hope someone turns up and asks them about what alternative proposals will be made regarding replacing the triangle.

15. sowerbylad

sowerbylad Guest

There is a page on Notwork Rails website about this project. Reads like a press release. It states the land in question is known as ' engineers triangle', disused land. That's either someone's mistake or deliberately misleading.
    There is an email link where from the 27th you can send them your views. So the more the merrier!

16. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)

A possible solution may be the installation of a turntable in the NRM Yard (funded by Network Rail). Indeed I recall that there was a suggestion some time ago that the Old Oak Common turntable would be moved here. That turntable has now gone to the Swanage Railway, but there are still one or two other extant turntables that could be relocated here.

17. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired

Plans for the entire site will be on view at York station booking hall this coming Tuesday, 11am to 7pm.

18. arizonagcs

arizonagcs New Member Account Suspended

Plans - the site is a mass of herass fancing and piles of excavated earth right now - a visit to the NRM today says so.

19. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer

edited. original not relevant.

20. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Well in that case I trust Network Rail has a large shiny new turntable ready to be installed..............

Looks like they've already made their decision as usual, so what is replacing the triangle?

btw, 14 control centres controlling the entire country is a pretty daunting thought.