If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Z48 - 10th May 2014 - A Tribute to The Great Western Railtour

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Ben Vintage-Trains, Dec 19, 2013.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Difficult to tell Mike, it's a very subjective thing and depends so much on the conditions at the time and if the respective owners give the driver carte blanche.

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I'm with you about the Flyer. However, I have to say that one's view of "favourites" has to be tempered by your experience of the locomotive and whether Clun proves to be better than The Earl is really a bit academic. I recall that a typical driver's view of their favourite might be simply the fact that it always seems to provide steam when needed. That's definitely true of when steam was in regular service. Couple this with the ability of different locos to run more freely than others and you end up with quite a cocktail of factors. If Clun gets the same sensible treatment as The Earl then it'll hopefully just be double the spectacle and enjoyment out of Tyseley. I'm sure that VTL will be looking for split loyalties amongst their supporters so they fill their trains whatever is up front!

3. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Exactly. Big Al

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
  5. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    Using IF in the sentence about Clun getting the treatment at Tyseley is a bit unfortunate. OF COURSE it will.

6. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
  7. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

This BBC online article, primarily about a sea wall diversionary route does state that the Dawlish route isn't expected to re-open until AT LEAST mid-April so could be tight for this tour as well as GB7. SD's tour on 10/04 meanwhile highly likely to be postponed. Another false start for an SNG return to the mainline ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26110559

8. Big Al

Not looking good for RTC to Kingswear on 19/4 either.

9. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

It is confirmed that the reporting number for Z48 on 10th May will be 1Z48.

Thanks to NetRail and WCR for their assistance with this one.

More details to follow.

david1984, ADB968008, al4466 and 2 others like this.
  10. Big Al

Tickets arrived today with outline timings. It looks as though we are tucked in behind the 1504 Plymouth to Paddington on the way back. However, the 1525 Plymouth to York starts behind us but has a Bristol arrival time ahead of us. That suggests a pass somewhere so perhaps we are in for a clever bit of train movement, possibly in the Taunton area. It will be interesting to see how that's done without stopping, unless, of course, there is a Plan B to run ahead of it. Now, Plymouth to Bristol in 130 minutes would be interesting and actually ahievable. (It's fun to speculate but we can be sure that VTL and FGW have it all in hand!)

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  11. Phil K

Phil K Member

Got my tickets today - and I am a very happy bunny. The Oxford timings mean I'll make the Brands Hatch Mini festival on the Sunday :) So looking forward to Z48!

12. Big Al

I see that timings are on RTT for the return at:
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U50567/2014/05/10/advanced

With all the caveats understood about RTT, it seems that the plan on paper is for the non stop run from Plymouth to wait for ten minutes at Dawlish Warren so that the Plymouth-York Voyager can pass. OK - we now know the plan from NR and all that remains is to see what actually happens on the day. I guess that hinges on how quickly we can get to Newton Abbot and through whatever TSRs remain on the sea wall section plus how much faith there is on the day in us being able to stay ahead of the York train all the way to Bristol. Interesting.

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

That voyager is due Bristol 1725, the Castle 1749...
    That Castle fancy its chances at being 25 minutes early ? (Ok it's got 10 just by not stopping).., but it follows a 20th May only FGW HST with several stops to London,[ Totnes, Newton abbot, Exeter, Tiverton, Taunton -1636 (departing only 6 mins beforehand..from Plymouth..
    Then again the Castle is timed at 60mph timings and it has a few more mph it could squeak out...
    Tough one this one..40 minutes Plymouth - Dawlish non stop to be safe, maybe 45 mins and a non-Scottish signalman (tornado /top gear Edinburgh in 2009 :) ), if it can get out a few mins ahead of schedule.... That York service has 5 mins (some recovery time) at Bristol..

That's a lot of ifs cooking in the kitchen..

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  14. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

1640 Taunton then 42 minutes for the last 44.5 miles to BTM arrive 1722. Easily possible with 5043 if everybody works together in the day. I would be hopeful

Don

15. Big Al

Agreed Don. Remember also that VTL is giving us a 1500 departure from Plymouth. That presumably means we will leave as soon as the 1504 Paddington service has cleared and could then stay on its tail all the way to Exeter given the stops that it makes. That could put us at Taunton by around 1640 - something that is quite achievable - and then a run to Bristol as you say arriving at 1722. It does depend on whether the controllers on the day are watching the train and working to make it happen. It'll probably also hinge on what is happening around Teignmouth/Dawlish/Exeter and, of course, how well the national network is behaving on the day. And Bristol will also have to find another platform for the York train as it uses the same one as us. There is also the possible problem of us sitting at P3 in Bristol for an hour and a half.

All interesting stuff to speculate about and a clever starting path for the train. The fact that we are even thinking about such possibilities in 2014 is actually quite a complement to NR and the TOCs who do seem prepared in exceptional circumstances to consider such events. Anyway, all we know is that if VTL, but especially FGW/NR do it then perhaps we should be rather more charitable in future on the occasions when things don't go the way of steam charters.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  16. mouse

mouse New Member

Why is the Castle timed at 60mph?

17. Big Al

Nothing to do with the Castle I suggest. We have been warned about RTT. On this matter I actually trust WC/VTL to be on top of this and I take their silence as significant (in a positive sense).

18. 6136

6136 Member

It's best to ignore all those headers on RTT IMO. About 18 months age I noticed an A4 ECS that was coming down the ECML and then turning onto the GWML for Bristol which quoted the load as 2200 tons for some reason. The load on this one is quoted as 715 tons which is clearly wrong as well. This 715 ton load often seems to be quoted for some reason on steam specials.

19. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I believe the load quoted is more to do with the kind of acceleration properties of steam, ie a diesel would need this much tonnage to accelerate at the same rate, so it's more for timings purposes than showing an accurate train weight.

In any case, what goes on RTT and what happens on the day (including punctuality of service trains) are usually somewhat different where VT on FGW metals are concerned.

Thunderer008 likes this.
  20. nowork rail

nowork rail New Member

Little as possable
    Just remember th Bristol to Paddington trip when the Earl got in about 50 mins early.