If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

RTC 2023

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Bulleid Pacific, Oct 1, 2022.

1. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The Cheshireman at Apsley https://www.flickr.com/photos/alts1985/52730275894/in/dateposted-public/

2. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    Nice work as ever. I was expecting to see the water carrier in the formation, but it was absent. According to the RTC site, 45596 is running from and back to Waterloo on 20 May, so a Jubilee will be in the south again, standing in for 35028.

pete12000 and TheModster like this.
  3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Second question is the turning move and whether full set or just light engine .

4. Arun Valley

Arun Valley New Member

“The Cheshireman” with 45699 Galatea 04 March 2023

I had originally booked to do the same tour in late March 2020 and had started preparing for it (e.g. charging things that take many hours) even though l was 99 percent sure it would not run. I was correct as the inevitable lockdown happened. As a side note, l have kept a copy of the published times from that to compare with this one.

For the day itself l had set my alarms for 3am, however for them to work as alarms l needed to fall asleep first, which did not happen; so l just got up at 2:50. Without rushing l packed to go and with my usual fellow traveller we set off for Three Bridges at 3:30. Starting from my local station was not an option as the timings were too tight. After an easy drive to Three Bridges l first checked our train was running – it was – then we parked-up. This train was key to us getting to Euston as the next one meant we might have struggled to make it in time. In fact, our ‘Plan B’ was to drive north and around the M25 to Watford; thankfully not needed. The train (Bedford bound) was extracted from the depot / sidings in good time before the 4:15 departure. This was a personal “record” of being the earliest train l have ever caught. The journey up to London was smooth (running through Redhill) passing Stations that will not be used for a good while yet: the only intermediate ones we stopped at were Gatwick Airport and East Croydon. The direct line to and through London Bridge was unavailable, so we stayed on the Brighton Line (slow side) to use the “Streatham Curve” to pass through Streatham, Tulse Hill, Herne Hill and Loughborough Junction to reach the Thameslink Core and St Pancras International where we alighted after an hour’s journey.

After using the facilities at St Pancras we made our way to Euston. The train was showing on the departure screens as “Charter Train” and also had its name (“The Cheshireman”). The stock was due at 6:29, so out of curiosity l had a look at the Arrivals screen to see that a train from the well-known place called “STHAWCR” had arrived at 5:42. We wandered towards Platform 16 and it was indeed there. After 6:00 my companion managed to get a coffee; with that consumed we headed to the platform. With night gradually becoming daytime we made our way to the head of the train, confirming my expectation that Standard would be at the rear, to find the welcome shape of 45699. With photographs taken we walked back to take our seats in Coach ‘G’. I shall deal with a much-discussed topic later.

An on-time departure saw us head off down the West Coast Main Line with the carriage only being sparsely populated. Usually, l attempt to record the speed through each station as we progress; but on this occasion l decided to be more relaxed. I did make a ‘recording’ of both the out and return journeys that l will highlight later. So, any given speeds are ones that l have actually noted. With the exception of the section between Willesden West London Junction and Camden Junction (for the North London Line) l have never travelled behind steam on any of the route. Eight miles out of Euston we passed Wembley Central (59). There was an interesting section on Wembley in “Metroland” presented by Sir John Betjeman that was repeated on BBC4 the other week. After Harrow & Wealdstone (62) we passed Bushey (54) - Bushey troughs (water collection) were situated to the south of the station - to stop at Watford Junction to make our first passenger pick-up (17 miles). I do not know how many got on there, but l suspect it was not many. We departed on time (7:15) to accelerate to pass Kings Langley and Apsley (66) to maintain that through Hemel Hempstead (where we passed the “Golden Arrow” heading in the opposite direction) and Berkhamsted (65) to have our first visit to the 70s at Tring (71). Cheddington was passed at 69 and four miles later Leighton Buzzard (68) at 7:36 (five minutes early) to slow to pass under Bletchley Covered Way and the Station (55) to then stop at the second passenger pick-up at Milton Keynes Central (49 miles). An early arrival meant probably a good thing as it looked like most of the passengers got on here. It appears that some targeted advertising in the local press by RTC had worked, as the train was full.

Another on-time departure saw us pass Wolverton (61) and the site of Castlethorpe troughs (the tower remains) to pass over Hanslope Junction to take the line to Northampton (65 miles), arriving punctually at 8:16. A slightly late departure (8:21) saw us underway again, however less than a mile later we slowed to a crawl before reaching the 40s then slowing to a stop a few miles later after getting going again we stopped again. Whilst we were doing this, a train in the opposite direction was doing similar. A look at my ‘map’ showed a footpath crossing in the area, which could mean trespassing. This was later confirmed via an announcement. This was the first time this has happened to me on route. When we got going properly we passed Long Buckby (51) 17 minutes late to reach Rugby (84 miles) 14 minutes late at 8:59. At Rugby (Platform 1) we took on water from a tanker and any passengers due to join the train.

After almost half an hour at Rugby, we departed at 9:29 (17 minutes late) to pass over Rugby Trent Valley Junction and the site of Newbold troughs. As we were late, l guessed that the pathing stop at Brinklow (5 miles after Rugby) would not be needed as the train that may have passed us there had done so at Rugby. This turned out to be correct as we passed the site of Brinklow station in the 70s. After passing the side of Shilton station we slowed for our final passenger pick-up at Nuneaton (99 miles) by which time we had recovered to just 2 minutes late. Leaving at 9:47 we began the longest leg of the journey so far, passing – forever associated with pigs - Tamworth (72) then the site of Hademore troughs to slow for Lichfield Trent Valley (58) and on to Rugeley Trent Valley (60), Colwich (62) to slow for Stafford (38) by which time we were 2 minutes early. After that, as we were on the slow line we used the Norton Bridge Deviation (via Searchlight Junction). Even though the WCML is definitely not bumpy, this new section of track was noticeably smoother. After regaining the original route at Heamies Bridge we passed the sites of Whitmore troughs and Madeley station to slow for Crewe (160 miles). We had a half-hour stop were we could have a look at what was owned by Locomotive Services and more importantly: take on water from the hydrant on Platform 12. I do not know why but a BTP officer walked through the carriage but he did so.

After everyone had got back onboard, we left for the final leg of the outward journey on time (11:29), reaching the 70s before the site of Tattenhall Road Station. We were stopped on the approach to Chester, but not for long, reaching the station (181 miles) at 11:59 one minute ‘late’. It must be noted that Crewe to Chester (and l believe, the reverse on a subsequent day) was the last “proper” timetabled locomotive hauled train(s) l have been on (discounting HSTs). It was an electric Class 390 from Euston to Holyhead. On reaching Crewe a Class 57 (Thunderbird) was attached to the front to take the train onwards with an announcement that the train would no longer be in ‘tilt’ mode.

We had almost three hours in Chester where we explored here and there. Having only ‘nibbled’ on the train on the way there, l wanted to get something to eat but my fellow traveller was not too fussed. We found a takeaway and he chose to have something as well, so we ate in. The place (clue) was well staffed and busy with locals so turned out to be a good choice. After that it was nearing 2:30pm so we made our way back to the Station, having noticed that the temperature had dropped.

We returned to Chester Station and onto the platform to see the train was exiting the Reception Sidings to reverse at East Junction to come into the station. It was no surprise that the whole train had been turned on the triangle earlier, meaning Standard remained at the back. For once, boarding for the return journey was leisurely as there was more than twenty minutes to the departure time of 3:05 (actually 3:06).

The first leg of the return journey was straightforward, with a couple of ‘visits’ to the 70s to again stop on Platform 12 at Crewe (21 miles). We had a stop of twenty minutes to take on water. Although l stayed on the train, l believe the same hydrant as on the outward was used.

Leaving at 15:58 (3 minutes late) we set off for the longest leg of the day. The return is slightly longer (0.2 miles) as the previously used Norton Bridge Deviation is a “short cut”. We may have been following another train as passing through the Stafford area (four minutes late) meant slow, go and then slow again. In general – possibly to do with the weather conditions – 45699 was heard from the rear of the train more regularly on the return. With the curves, leaving Stafford was probably the highlight as the loco could be heard and seen. Continuing south we passed Rugeley Trent Valley (61) and Lichfield Trent Valley (67) now on time. Tamworth was passed at 56 then Atherstone (54) to then slow to a stop just before Nuneaton (82 miles). Two minutes later we were at the platform for the first drop-off. As this did not take long, we departed ahead of time (17:17) to subsequently pass over Rugby Trent Valley Junction slowly (4 minutes late) to ease into “Up & Down Through Siding” for the final watering of the day. Whilst that was happening any useful daylight went and the most interesting thing was that an empty car transport train overtook. We were advised that if you wanted to alight at Rugby you could not from the rear carriages. We did not get back underway until 6:16 (14 minutes late) to stop at Rugby (96 miles).

There was a longer stop at Rugby built in to the timings, so after departing at 6:21 we were only 3 minutes late. This leg saw as loose some more time, passing Long Buckby (57) to slow for Northampton (115 miles), arriving ten minutes late at 6:54 for the third set-down. With the dwell time of 8 minutes not used, we departed at 6:59 (7 minutes late). This leg was less constrained as we touched 70 before easing for Wolverton (61) to stop for another set-down at Milton Keynes Central (131 miles) where most of the carriage’s population alighted. Leaving at 7:21 (8 minutes late) we accelerated to pass Bletchley (61), slowed to pass Leighton Buzzard (56), Cheddington (65) and then: “Feet up fireman, it’s Tring, downhill from here”. Well, maybe not! We had our last visit to the seventies, passing Berkhamsted (70), Hemel Hempstead (71) and Apsley (70) to slow through Kings Langley (44) to come to a halt just after exiting one of the Watford Tunnels. We were informed that there was a slow moving freight train ahead of us. From there we stopped at Watford Junction (164 miles) for the next set-down, leaving at 20:06 (nine minutes late).

The final leg was not a crawl, but it felt as it if was. If we wanted to, we could make our way towards the front of the train, as there were plenty of seats if we wanted to make the walk at Euston shorter. We passed Bushey (41) and Harrow & Wealdstone (49) twelve minutes late. From there we passed Queens Park and the two tunnels to stop at Platform 7 (not 4) at London Euston (181 miles) at 20:33 (nine minutes late).

Following a little time for photographs we headed off for the Underground. A train had just left the Victoria Line Southbound platform, but the next was just behind so not too long later we were exiting the Underground at Victoria via the Sussex Steps. Thinking about this, l cannot remember the last time l used the Underground, definitely several years ago. A couple of minutes later we just managed to board the next train to Three Bridges at 9:05. I would not usually relay to what happened on an ancillary journey, but there was some “entertainment”. Behind us there was a group of what we thought were young ladies playing some music and then attempting to sing by butchering “Wonderwall” by Oasis and “Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia. This set-off some ‘lads’ sitting nearby, who started to responded with football-style chants. There was not any aggravation – a good thing – and when the On-Board Supervisor walked through he was visibly shaking his head before moving onto the next carriage. This all meant that there was no chance of us inadvertently falling asleep. It was only when moving to the doorway that the ladies were definitely old enough to know that they were in a public space. Anyway, the final part of our journey saw us arrive home at 10:15 – about an hour and a half from Euston was probably as fast as it could be done, and it just happened with no planning.

As previously mentioned, l shall now deal with the train having the Class 47 on the rear. The empty stock movements at Chester for the March 2020 had propelling movements noted when the train needed to be reversed. If that is no longer possible, that could be the reason. A straightforward reason would to make sure the train was heated. I did hear that assistance had to be given due to the tender’s water level being too marginal for London to Rugby in the morning. Was this due to the train being heavier and 45699 working harder or marginal on its range anyway? If that is a load of nonsense l would be more than happy to stand corrected. The mass of the Class 47 meant that at every stop and start the carriage was jerked about somewhat.

On to a more interesting subject: l have read that this was the first time that a Jubilee class locomotive has been into London Euston since the end of steam. Whether that is true or not, l am sure someone will know. I want to thank those at RTC and WCR who put together the timings as these were quicker overall (with a later London departure) than the March 2020 one would have had; added to that, the almost absence of pathing stops was good. The London arrival time of about 8:30 meant a good proportion of the return journey was done in daylight and we were home way before midnight. Thanks must also go to the footplate crews and people looking after 45699 for making her available and the 362 miles covered meant it was a significant trip.

I cannot give a reason to why the return journey was not available on RTT (or similar) before the trip. For some reason a Very Short Term Planning (VSTP) path was needed on the day at 10:45am to cover it.

Many paragraphs ago l mentioned l made a ‘recording’ of the trip. From that l have produced the attached PDF document (“Cheshireman Maps and Graphs.pdf”), which may be of interest (or not).

Here is a picture of 45699 after arriving at Chester station.
    Chester.JPG

Cheers!
    -SC-

Attached Files:

5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
  6. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    For anyone interested, it's 46115 for Edinburgh trip.

acorb, Sam 60103, Kje7812 and 4 others like this.
  7. TheModster

TheModster Member

8. Sam 60103

Sam 60103 Member

Good. An outstanding locomotive which regretfully I’ve not travelled behind since 2012 although as someone else on this forum has said numerous times, that was an outstanding trip.

acorb likes this.
  9. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

The Inverness trip? That's probably me you are referring to then! It was a very fine trip, but I don't like the fact that is now 11 years ago!

Sam 60103 likes this.
  10. Sam 60103

Sam 60103 Member

I am yes. It was an outstanding trip but as you it was 11 years ago which I find hard to believe. It was of course originally due to be hauled by N0 9 but it wasn’t ready due to overhaul and it became a decision between N0 7 and 46115 as to which would haul it. The right decision was made with 46115 hauling it as it was (and is) a regular mainline performer at that time with N0 7 not hauling any Railtours at all in 2012 or 2013. Enough has been said already about the lack of tours N0 7 hauled on its last mainline stint.

11. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    44932 in top and tail mode out of Nuneaton and nothing from the front. Hometime !

Wilmslow1957 likes this.
  12. ficksberglion

ficksberglion New Member

13. ficksberglion

ficksberglion New Member

14. Adam Tandy

Adam Tandy Member

My footage of 44932 blasting up the gradient towards Wilmcote on the outward leg of the 'Stratford Flyer'.

D1002, Mick45305 and Oswald T Wistle like this.
  15. DBLM Dave

DBLM Dave New Member

Today's 'Stratford Flyer' passing Narborough (Leicestershire) and leaving Peterborough a little earlier - plenty of diesel support leaving Peterborough no doubt because of the late running - I'm guessing the 13 minutes at Whittlesea was for a water stop - so losing time seemed a bit inevitable.

16. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

The Stratford Flyer at Henley-in-Arden:

46223 likes this.
  17. TheModster

TheModster Member

A pleasure to see 44932 on a railtour 'down south' today, seen getting away from a signal check at Hall Green, and tackling the climb at Wilmcote:

46223 and David likes trains like this.
  18. Steam Valley Productions

Steam Valley Productions New Member

Something from the ground and air at Danzey Green Station today with 44932

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Scrat

Scrat New Member

railway worker
    Well its a free show, so too bad!

steamvideosnet likes this.
  20. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Do I take it the St. Blazey turntable is working again as the Par trip tomorrow seems to use it, and the blurb Railcam sent out about their new Saltash cameras said FS was passing over the bridge. RTC website still says diesel from Plymouth, RTT seems not to align with that.